New bike, sticky chain?

shming123

May 1, 2004
Hi everyone. I just picked up my new bike today, YEAH!! I noticed that the chain and gears are a little sticky. Is it suppose to come like this? Does it need to be lubed, or degreased, then lubed? Thanks.

Whenever I install a new chain I always clean it first. The chains come with a "sticky" lube on them, I clean that off and apply a dry lube.

buckybux said:
Whenever I install a new chain I always clean it first. The chains come with a "sticky" lube on them, I clean that off and apply a dry lube.
The "sticky lube" is actually not a lube, but an anti-corrossion agent to keep the chain from rusting. You should definitely clean and lube the chain before riding.

Peace

SUPER RIDER said:
The "sticky lube" is actually not a lube, but an anti-corrossion agent to keep the chain from rusting. You should definitely clean and lube the chain before riding.

Peace

Most likely its cosmoline which is a rust preventer applied for storage. Basically it's industrial strength vaseline. Most definitely clean it off before using.

capwater said:
Most likely its cosmoline which is a rust preventer applied for storage. Basically it's industrial strength vaseline. Most definitely clean it off before using.
I just lube over the cosmoline and it works itself out pretty quickly.