New bike stolen, very upset- How do I avoid this in the future?

hbyton

Feb 20, 2014
Hello people

About a week ago I was all exited when my brand new Carrera Zelos bike arrived, It was a lovely bike for the money.

Anyway I went up into town to get a few bits and pieces and left the bike for less than half an hour, when I got back my heart sank, there was an empty gap where my bike was with my cut lock sitting in its space. I just couldn't believe it had happened, the worst thing is that the person who stole it will probably have no intention of using it, it will probably just be dumped somewhere and left to rus.

This has left me 200 quid out of pocket and wondering why I believed the man at the bike shop that this cheap lock would be able to resist bolt cutters...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_701579_langId_-1_categoryId_165637

I have now learnt my lesson the hard way, you get what you pay for when it comes to bike security. I now want to make sure that this never happens again, I want a really good lock that will resist bolt cutters and other tools.

The stand out lock seems to be the "kryptinite new york STD" lock, bearing in mind that bike theft is a huge problem in my area how well will this lock protect my bike?

Quote: The stand out lock seems to be the "kryptinite new york STD" lock, bearing in mind that bike theft is a huge problem in my area how well will this lock protect my bike?

Pretty well. You can also try the Kryptonite Evolution one. Kinda lighter then the New York one but pretty much as safe.

Btw, I see that you mentioned quid, so that's UK yeah?

Where are you in the UK?

Kryptonite also offers a "Theft protection plan" if you are in the UK, US or Canada. For some locks you can get up to a figure of a "thousand" something if your bike gets stolen.

Also have a look at this:

Probably safer then U-locks, as this you definately need to cut in two places to breach. U-locks you might be able to cut just one side of the shackle and then twist it to brake the lock mechanism and breach the lock...

Hello Volnix thanks for your suggestion, I have just ordered one of these and am going to collect it tomorrow morning.

I did see a few reviews saying that the lock can get a little stiff after a while. If I put a little WD-40 into the lock when I get it, would it do any damage?

Yes I am in England based in London :)

Aaah London... The rats in the tube, the food poisoning, good times!
big-smile.png

These locks are tough... I got an orange Kryptonite (evolution series) off the ebay some time ago and it's allready looking pretty bad-ass, with its half-cut dust cap and whitened-from-impact crossbar from a breach attempt!
big-smile.png

The chain version should be extra hard to breach probably.
wink.png

Yeah spraying the lock barrel with some oil every once and a while should not do any harm. But not with WD-40, which is basically a rust removing medium, just some oil. That should keep the corrosion away.
wink.png

big-smile.png

0.jpg

I still have to find a lock for the Roubaix - haven't really looked into it much yet, since the bike waits at LBS for winter to end. Winter did end for one day - sunny and 50 yesterday - tonight 4-7 inches of snow followed by a record cold night down to 0 to -3 F. Gotta love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

I still have to find a lock for the Roubaix - haven't really looked into it much yet, since the bike waits at LBS for winter to end. Winter did end for one day - sunny and 50 yesterday - tonight 4-7 inches of snow followed by a record cold night down to 0 to -3 F. Gotta love it.

A lock for the Roubaix? For the garage it's gonna be in?
big-smile.png

Quote by MBB:
"Winter did end for one day - sunny and 50 yesterday - tonight 4-7 inches of snow followed by a record cold night down to 0 to -3 F. Gotta love it."

Same same.

I got a decent road workout in yesterday and will do another one today before the SHTF. The weather scaremen are calling for a low of 7° tonight and maybe an inch of rain, ice and snow.

The best lock is never letting the bike out of your sight and storing it securely indoors and out of the sight of thieves.

Well, I know ... But they kinda frown on me wheeling it into the men's room at the local 24 hour Mickey D's when I gotta take a leak at 4 am ... And hey, it's a great, basically very safe town, but Bloomfield is wedged between high crime Detroit 15 miles south and high crime Pontiac due north. Not talking about long-term lockup, just during pit stops.

The lightweight, retractable cable locks work as well as the heavy ones. Basically a thief with a $15 pair of Harbor Freight bolt cutters can cut through 1/16" cable or 5/16" cable with equal ease.

I once had my carbon wonder locked to a chain link fence along with two other bikes...IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND!!!... with my friend's 1/16" cable lock. Both myself and my insurance company were astounded to return from seeing The Tall Ships three hours later and finding our bikes un-molested.

Take a whiz at 4 AM???

It's freakin' dark out and your in a war zone! The city is your (De)toilet!

Campy, you got a misconception about where I live - Detroit proper is a mess. I live here, it's freakin' awesome: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Hills,_Michigan http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Township,_Oakland_County,_Michigan Here is some of the local slum housing for sale here in da hood: http://m.trulia.com/MI/Bloomfield_Hills/48302/ So, the PoPo probably would frown on me taking a whiz on someone's hydrangeas along the roadside. Hence the bike lock.

Oh sure...put up a real estate guide the "Price Reduced!" (you bet it's reduced!) crack houses of Bloomfield! Just kidding.

I know there's still 3 and 4 square mile areas that only require level 3 bullet proof vests and a small 9MM for protection...never forget, you're only15 minutes from downtown Detroit and they drive...

I know the feeling though...try taking a whiz in Pepper Pike or Hunting Valley. Barney Fife will have to load his one bullet and make an indecent exposure report. This ain't France, Toto!

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

Campy, you got a misconception about where I live - Detroit proper is a mess. I live here, it's freakin' awesome:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Hills,_Michigan

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Township,_Oakland_County,_Michigan

Here is some of the local slum housing for sale here in da hood:

http://m.trulia.com/MI/Bloomfield_Hills/48302/

So, the PoPo probably would frown on me taking a whiz on someone's hydrangeas along the roadside. Hence the bike lock.
Ah, the home of Cranbrook Academy ...

THAT is indeed a very high rent district!

I'm thinking MMB could take a whiz in the waters of the Academy's meditation pool without being noticed...perhaps using the hydrangeas as cover?

Well, probably at 4 in the morning! Hey, Campy, what did you get out of this storm? We have maybe 5 inches now.

Quote:Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .I'm thinking MMB could take a whiz in the waters of the Academy's meditation pool without being noticed...perhaps using the hydrangeas as cover?

The front gate is probably locked at night ... But, at 4am, MBB can certainly pee against the wall which surrounds the campus...

MBB,

We got lucky. There was only 1/2" fell in my area and it was 7° this morning with a high of 21°. Snow flurries all morning that finally ended just after noon.

Just North of here the snow depth was 3" to 8". There was a 20-vehicle pileup on I-480 (whiteout and ice under the snow) and a 50-vehicle stackup on the Ohio Turnpike with 3 fatalities and a bunch of smashed semis. I heard a State Trooper was pinned between two vehicles and badly injured in that one.

If you were in Cleveland or Akron you would have wanted your Surly for the commute. Road conditions were the usual slick ****.

Fortunately, the entirety of Cleveland is a urinal.