New bike suggestions please

Anthony Campbell

Guest
My trusty Mercian has just broken its seat tube near the BB shell.
Although I'm just turning 74 I don't want to hang up my wheels just yet.
I know the frame could be repaired but I'm thinking of a new bike.

Hitherto all my bikes have been standard steel-frame touring machines; I
have two others but they are kept in Greece so I want one for the UK.
I'm thinking about something more modern this time, probably an alloy
frame road bike in the interest of lightness. Price range approx.
£500-£700 though that is not a rigid upper limit.

I'm not looking for anything with straight bars or thick tyres. To give
an idea of my current type of riding, it's mostly country (N.London -
Herts), with occasional trips into central London. Little or no
off-road. Most rides are 15-30 miles or a bit more, at 15-16 mph
average.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions and experience, good or bad, with
different makes.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

"Anthony Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My trusty Mercian has just broken its seat tube near the BB shell.
> Although I'm just turning 74 I don't want to hang up my wheels just yet.
> I know the frame could be repaired but I'm thinking of a new bike.
>
> Hitherto all my bikes have been standard steel-frame touring machines; I
> have two others but they are kept in Greece so I want one for the UK.
> I'm thinking about something more modern this time, probably an alloy
> frame road bike in the interest of lightness. Price range approx.
> £500-£700 though that is not a rigid upper limit.

On the scale of racing bike <-> expedition tourer, where do you want to be?
Mudguards? Rack? Rack suitable for carrying a lot?

I'd say an audax bike, mostly because I've always been saying that ever
since I got one. The Specialized tricross looked interesting though.

cheers,
clive

On 2007-05-10, Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Anthony Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My trusty Mercian has just broken its seat tube near the BB shell.
>> Although I'm just turning 74 I don't want to hang up my wheels just yet.
>> I know the frame could be repaired but I'm thinking of a new bike.
>>
>> Hitherto all my bikes have been standard steel-frame touring machines; I
>> have two others but they are kept in Greece so I want one for the UK.
>> I'm thinking about something more modern this time, probably an alloy
>> frame road bike in the interest of lightness. Price range approx.
>> £500-£700 though that is not a rigid upper limit.

> On the scale of racing bike <-> expedition tourer, where do you want to be?
> Mudguards? Rack? Rack suitable for carrying a lot?
>
> I'd say an audax bike, mostly because I've always been saying that ever
> since I got one. The Specialized tricross looked interesting though.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Mudguards not essential. Rack not required; only light loads now,
carried in saddlebag. Certainly closer to racing than expedition.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
on-line books and sceptical articles)

in message <[email protected]>, Anthony Campbell
('[email protected]') wrote:

> My trusty Mercian has just broken its seat tube near the BB shell.
> Although I'm just turning 74 I don't want to hang up my wheels just yet.
> I know the frame could be repaired but I'm thinking of a new bike.
>
> Hitherto all my bikes have been standard steel-frame touring machines; I
> have two others but they are kept in Greece so I want one for the UK.
> I'm thinking about something more modern this time, probably an alloy
> frame road bike in the interest of lightness. Price range approx.
> £500-£700 though that is not a rigid upper limit.

I'd strongly recommend you at least try a ride on a carbon fibre bike. As
far as I'm concerned it is a wonder bike frame material - lighter than
anything else, but also more resilient, making for a light bike with a
very comfortable ride. It will mean upping your budget a little.

Terry Dolan makes lovely frames - not sure how many are made in Liverpool
and how many are actually made in Italy, but... They may be too race
oriented, though. Paul Hewitt is still making traditional brazed steel
frames, and so are a few others.

Among the mass market bikes the Specialized Roubaix is very nice - not an
out and out racing machine, but light and comfortable.

Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

On 2007-05-10, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Anthony Campbell
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> My trusty Mercian has just broken its seat tube near the BB shell.
>> Although I'm just turning 74 I don't want to hang up my wheels just yet.
>> I know the frame could be repaired but I'm thinking of a new bike.
>>
>> Hitherto all my bikes have been standard steel-frame touring machines; I
>> have two others but they are kept in Greece so I want one for the UK.
>> I'm thinking about something more modern this time, probably an alloy
>> frame road bike in the interest of lightness. Price range approx.
>> £500-£700 though that is not a rigid upper limit.

> I'd strongly recommend you at least try a ride on a carbon fibre bike. As
> far as I'm concerned it is a wonder bike frame material - lighter than
> anything else, but also more resilient, making for a light bike with a
> very comfortable ride. It will mean upping your budget a little.
>
> Terry Dolan makes lovely frames - not sure how many are made in Liverpool
> and how many are actually made in Italy, but... They may be too race
> oriented, though. Paul Hewitt is still making traditional brazed steel
> frames, and so are a few others.
>
> Among the mass market bikes the Specialized Roubaix is very nice - not an
> out and out racing machine, but light and comfortable.

I have been thinking about carbon fibre though I know little about it.
I'll look into it.

Mercian are still in business and make both traditional frames and
complete bikes, as well as repairing frames; they renovated one for me
last year (not the one that has broken).

Anthony

On 2007-05-11, squeaker <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 10 May, 13:32, Anthony Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking about something more modern this time
>>

> Modern and carbon fibre? Try http://www.velokraft.com/-vk2.htm

Thanks to all for suggestions. I've ordered a Bianchi Axis 2006, which
was on special offer at CTC and has an alloy frame with carbon forks.

Anthony
--

('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 2007-05-11, squeaker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 10 May, 13:32, Anthony Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about something more modern this time
>>>

>> Modern and carbon fibre? Try http://www.velokraft.com/-vk2.htm
>>

> Thanks to all for suggestions. I've ordered a Bianchi Axis 2006, which
> was on special offer at CTC and has an alloy frame with carbon forks.

Enjoy it!

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update three years after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]