new bike: trek or bianchi?

spockroyaltea

Jun 15, 2005
you're aware that the Bianchi is steel and the Trek is aluminium?

Generally
, this would mean that these two bikes will have a different feel to them.

Have you test ridden them?

yeah i took them around the block but i dont know what im doing.
the bike i have now is steel...and i dont really mind it

the bianchi felt a bit heavier but not by much.
also, im mostly going to be using it for training and riding it to work, any actual racing that i will be doing will be done on a track (err atleast that is what im planning for)

spockroyaltea said:
yeah i took them around the block but i dont know what im doing.
the bike i have now is steel...and i dont really mind it

the bianchi felt a bit heavier but not by much.
also, im mostly going to be using it for training and riding it to work, any actual racing that i will be doing will be done on a track (err atleast that is what im planning for)
I have the 2004 Bianchi Eros and I think it is a great value.
The Campagnolo Mirage Ergo Shift system is more to my liking than the Shimano STI path you will take with the trek.

I like shifting to larger cogs and chainwheels with the main lever and shifting to smaller with the thumb. It just feels natural.

I'd suggest getting the bianchi.

Cheers and Good Luck, no matter which you buy!

531Aussie said:
you're aware that the Bianchi is steel and the Trek is aluminium?

Generally
, this would mean that these two bikes will have a different feel to them.

Have you test ridden them?
what is the general different feel between aluminum and steel? is one better than the other?

spockroyaltea said:
what is the general different feel between aluminum and steel? is one better than the other?
Remember, these are just generalizations, and there are always gunna be bikes that break the "rules".

Steel is usually more comfortable to ride than aluminium, and will most likely last much longer before it cracks.

Aluminium will usually have less flex when you accelerate hard when off the saddle, and it will usually be a little lighter.

spockroyaltea said:
ok ok ok i know i've made like a million posts lately about getting a new bike and what to buy etc., but i really just wanna get it right.
I've looked around all the local bike shops and have brought it down to 2 options:

2004 Bianchi Eros $900 US
http://www.bianchiusa.com/eros.html

2005 Trek 1200 $879 US
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/Alpha_Aluminum/1200/index.php

i really don't want to spend any more than that, I'm already kinda over my price range :eek:
I have the Trek 1200. I swapped out those generic brakes and replaced them with 105 brakes. I also swapped the stock wheels with a set of Bontrager Race Lites. I love the bike. It rides great...and the frame is better than I expected...very light and stiff. So this bike is a very 'upgrade friendly' machine. I also added a Mavic Wintec computer. Next I want to have my bars retaped. The stock bar tape really sucks. Also...at some point I will upgrade the saddle. This bikes comes stock with a set of Wellgo cliplesss pedals, a carbon seat post and carbon fork. Plus you get a 105 rear derailleur and Tiagra shifters. The paint and decals seem well done also. Overall I am happy with the purchase.

Two good bikes. I'd recommend the Eros. I've had a '97 Campione since '97 and it rides beautifully; I think the Eros is its touring sibling. I also prefer steel for a road bike. Don't be too swayed by the two carbon parts; consider the whole bike. I'll contribute another personal bias: If you're really torn, you might want to consider the bike shop. In my area, Trek has taken over most shops; fortunately the best one in town still carries Bianchi and Specialized -my other bike. You'll appreciate a great shop after the purchase, so you may want to scout the back room as much as the showroom. Good luck on your choice and enjoy the ride.

strummer_fan said:
So... which one did you buy???
haha thanks for asking! :D
he actually talked me into getting this guy:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/spockroyaltea2/newsteed.jpg
a Bianchi Veloce (full Campy Veloce, aluminum frame, carbon fork, neat wheels!), i guess it retails for $1500 or so (though i cant find it on their site because it is a limited edition thing), i talked him down to $975 including the computer.

the different between this new thing and my old 1970s Gitane is night and day. I didn't know what cycling was until i road 10 miles on that Bianchi.

spockroyaltea said:
a Bianchi Veloce (full Campy Veloce, aluminum frame, carbon fork, neat wheels!), i guess it retails for $1500 or so (though i cant find it on their site because it is a limited edition thing), i talked him down to $975 including the computer.

the different between this new thing and my old 1970s Gitane is night and day. I didn't know what cycling was until i road 10 miles on that Bianchi.
Congrats! That is a beautiful bike and a great deal. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers!

spockroyaltea said:

looks like you got a great deal for a Veloce equipped bike!

derby said:
I hope you are very short, say, 5'2"-5'4".
5'3".
i was really impressed with all the attention the guy at the bike store gave me, he took quite a few measurements to adjust the seat post/handle bars. it fits like a dream :)

I will tell you that I have a 3 month old Bianchi Vigorrelli that I am preparing a law suit against Bianchi USA over. The bottom line is that if there is a problem with the bike, they will do anything possible to avoid honoring a warranty...go with the Trek.

Am I the only one who thinks designers in Bianchi are colour-blind?

I know its their trade mark colour, but.....its HORRIBLE!!