New bike vs upgrade

cw2864

Oct 1, 2006
I'm a serious recreational rider and have a Jamis Ventura road bike with Shimano 105's - which I have had for about a year and am quite happy with. However I have been dreaming about a BMC...what's the more logical move? Upgrade equipment on the Jamis (Ultegra) or go with the new BMC? I suspect the former, but the BMC is a nice bike...

cw2864 said:
Upgrade equipment on the Jamis (Ultegra) or go with the new BMC?
Is there anything wrong with your existing bike? Are any of the parts worn out, or are you interested in upgrading for upgrading's sake?

If things are worn, then by all means upgrade, but if they still work fine, then I don't really see a reason to get rid of it unless you're in NEED of the weight savings, have too much cash to spend, race, or intend to put some serious kilometrage onto the bike that would necessitate more durable parts.

There's no point in wasting things if you don't have to.

cw2864 said:
I suspect the former, but the BMC is a nice bike...
Agreed. I guess you need to decide whether the money you'll be spending is worth it.

n

Thanks for the reality check- what I concluded as well. Existing parts should be okay for another 1000k or so, I was just wondering whether it's better at that point to go with a whole new bike or just upgrade the parts on my existing one. Thanks-

nerdag said:
Is there anything wrong with your existing bike? Are any of the parts worn out, or are you interested in upgrading for upgrading's sake?

If things are worn, then by all means upgrade, but if they still work fine, then I don't really see a reason to get rid of it unless you're in NEED of the weight savings, have too much cash to spend, race, or intend to put some serious kilometrage onto the bike that would necessitate more durable parts.

There's no point in wasting things if you don't have to.

Agreed. I guess you need to decide whether the money you'll be spending is worth it.

n

Upgrade the parts. If you do it through Probikekit it will be a fraction of the cost of a new bike.

BMC
No matter what, you will not regret the change.

(maybe there is some bias in that)

matagi said:
Upgrade the parts. If you do it through Probikekit it will be a fraction of the cost of a new bike.
Agree, upgrade parts in that case.

Unless, of course, you have a need for a new frame...

n

The question of, should I upgrade comes up ALLLL the time. Should you upgrade, well that depends. If you have money coming our your ears, then buy the BMC, it'll certainly give you a better ride than the Jamis. However, if money is a consideration for you (as it is for most of us), then it's a much more difficult question. The performance increase you'll see from a Jamis to a BMC will be practically negligible, but the ride should be more comfortable (assuming the BMC geometry fits you well), and you'll get a lot more style points. Now is that worth the extra cash for the BMC, well that's for you to decide.

I bought the Jamis when I was getting back into road cycling after a long absence so didn't want to spend a bomb; but have since been hooked back in big time to the enjoyment of long road rides. So I probably should have gone with the higher end bike to start with, but am now faced with the upgrade vs new bike question. Nothing wrong with the Jamis, it rides well, but I just keep looking at that BMC...I have the money, but just want to make sure if I get a new bike, I do so for the right reasons. So the ultimate question is - do I smend money on upgrading the group set when the time comes, or just go with the new bike completey...
Thanks
badkarma said:
The question of, should I upgrade comes up ALLLL the time. Should you upgrade, well that depends. If you have money coming our your ears, then buy the BMC, it'll certainly give you a better ride than the Jamis. However, if money is a consideration for you (as it is for most of us), then it's a much more difficult question. The performance increase you'll see from a Jamis to a BMC will be practically negligible, but the ride should be more comfortable (assuming the BMC geometry fits you well), and you'll get a lot more style points. Now is that worth the extra cash for the BMC, well that's for you to decide.

There's a lot to be said for having two bikes. You can specialize one or both. For instance, keep the BMC stripped down and fast, and add wider tires and fenders to the Jamis for in-town and wet rides.

I see little cost benefit to upgrading the existing components.

N+1=# of bikes a person needs
where as N is the current number of bikes you own