New Bike - What should I get?

ewep

Jan 31, 2002
Hey guys, I might have to get myself a new bike. I've got about R13000, what should I look at? I need to know a.s.a.p. because the descion has to be made in the morn'.

The Dream -The Desire - The Passion - The Bike

05_SL_Aluminum_Centaur.jpg

BCNO.jpg

Specs here

The green one is a stunner. Not bad at all. :p EPO supplements is standard with the bike. Ask Pantani ;D ;D ;D You cant go wrong with this machine

Isn't 24 hours too little time to decide which high end bike to get? ???

Imo, you need 10 minutes to decide: 5 minutes to decide which Campy groupset to get and 5 minutes to decide what colour Bianchi frame to get. ;D ;)

The green one is a stunner. Not bad at all. :p EPO supplements is standard with the bike. Ask Pantani  ;D ;D ;D You cant go wrong with this machine

OMG a bianchi and free EPO? WOW what more could a road cyclist want ;D

Hey nic if you want a custom steel frame let me know, and i'll give you a phone number for a mate of mine who would be able to build you a frame that will **** all over any bianchi or colnago you'll get for this side of 5 or 6 grand.

thanks very much steve for the offer. iv actually all ready ordered my new bike wich is mostly all new apart from some things from my old bike. the frame (same frame as on giant tcr 0 ) is 1.08 kg and is a exposed aluminum/titaniam color

here is a link to it ( i think its the one they described)
also the new bike has d'ace gruppo
http://www.giantbicycles.com/uk/030...p?lYear=2002&section=8782&range=56&model=9765
click on the lil image for a big picy of it. tell me what you think ;D ;D the whole bike should be well under 8kg

Hey nic if you want a custom steel frame let me know, and i'll give you a phone number for a mate of mine who would be able to build you a frame that will **** all over any bianchi or colnago you'll get for this side of 5 or 6 grand.

Does your mate go by the name of "Bosevski"?

You're right, there are many custom framebuilders out there who are relatively unknown, but who produce better quality frames than most branded builders. Heck, I heard that there are some pros who use a custom job over their sponsor's frame.

Here's a sweet bike for ya- http://litespeed.com/english/road/ghisallo.html
What do you other guys think? I've seen the frame for as low as $3200

$3200 US dollars mate? gulp cheap. hmm i dont know about that. actually i perefer the frame of the lower model Ultimate
ultimate_06.jpg

ult_detail.jpg

Actually im getting a Giant bike with the same frame as the giant tcr 0 but with different paint the whole thing costs $5999 aus or $2999 us. im using some of my old parts though.(seat,wheels,stem)

Nic-

I actually have the 2001 ultimate- without the carbon drops. I have a Look HSC-3 fork, King headset, easton ec-90 handlebars, itm the stem, u.s.e. alien seatpost, slr selle italia, and I'm currently rolling on ksyriums with michelin axial pros. I have dura-ace which I'm almost afraid to admit here. Campy seems to be the way to go, although I personally have had no problems with Shimano. It's such a sweet ride I don't regret a dime spent. I was wondering, what tires do you prefer? (preferably something light, yet durable)

that sounds like you have a very good bike there. do you race? or just like the performance ??? ;)
I was wondering, what tires do you prefer? (preferably something light, yet durable)
well it depends what im doing. eg when i train i use my old wheels (Mavic Open Pros) with cheap tyres (Vittoria Rubina Intepid prb) i think they where 1/3 the cost of Michelins and they last Twice as Long. (nope im not exageratig) here id get 2000 k out of the michelin axial pro on my rear wheel and 3000k or so on the front. iv already done at least 3500k on my vittoria tyre on my back wheel and they look fine.
though getting those vittorias on is hard work (very hard work) they are so #@$ tough.(but cheap) for my race wheels shimano wh7700 i use Michelin Axial Pros. they are very good.
you Can Get better Michelen's (Axial Pro Lights) but they burn like a candle stick k wize ;D ;D so i stick with the normal pro's
yes this site seems to be controlled by campagnolo fanatics :D.

To tell you the truth, I am new to the sport. I went all out with the bike because I didn't want to get some middle of the road machine and then a couple of years down the road have to open up the wallet again to upgrade. I ran cross country in college so the cardiovascular system is in place. I was still running competitively up until last year when I was hampered by a foot injury. So, naturally the non-impact nature of cycling was quite appealing. I started riding in June on my trusty 1983 Bianchi I had stored away and kept riding despite being seen by the "real" cyclists on my antiquated machine. I was a little embarrassed, but kept on- to the tune of 200+ miles a week. In August, I did a 50 mile tour on the Bianchi (all 21+ pounds of her), and broke 2 and a half hours on a relatively hilly course. I had a great time and I met this 60 yr. old guy who was riding a Litespeed who coincidentally nearly beat me. (I guess bike weight was a bigger factor than I thought!) So, being green, I asked around and pulled the trigger on the Litespeed at the end of August. Living in Connecticut, I wasn't able to ride much this winter. I borrowed a trainer from my buddy and rode religiously 3-4 hours a week. I also trained my legs in the gym faithfully as to increase my power. I apologize for the long-winded personal history here, but I was wondering what types of races you do and what specifically do you for training? Keep in mind my forte is climbing. I would like to get stronger on the flats. Thanks alot

mook there is heaps of training advice on this site just look at the right section or use the search feature and type in training.

At the Moment i race in B grade. in the US i think that is Cat 2
A grade or Cat 1 are the future/posible pro's i train 400-500k a week. though im going to up that soon. Intervals/Time Trails are the way to improve you just cannot do too many of them a week as they are very demanding. You must already be of good fitness before you start them eg at least 4000 k this year id say. i do 1-2 Time Trails/ 2 days of intervals a week. also do rest eg do easy rides too but the idea is that too improve you must higher your limits.

If you interval on the flats you will improve. on the hills too get decent i do a 6k climb at 10% which is all up and do not get off (this might not work the first time for you) ;) this realy improves your fitness. Allso races are never held at your cruising speed and do hurt so practice HARD training races.