New Bike: What Type of Bike am I?

FANES

Jul 15, 2014
In the next few days I'm gonna be getting a new bike. My previous bike was a Whyte Portobello. I've been advised by a friend to get a Hardtrail MTB. Based on the information below, what type of bike do you think would be better for me? Road, MTB, Hybrid.. Etc, etc. I'll be using my bike every day (7 days a week) and cycling up to about 20 miles each day. I'll be cycling on the roads of London, so pot holes, glass, unevenness, stupid drivers, careless cyclists and just general crappy unperfect London roads and more need to be taken into consideration. I've been cycling for about 2 years now, confident on the road and I enjoy cycling a lot! I appreciate all relevant replies and thank you for taking the time to read, think and type.

You didn't say a word about trails or off-road, so I would say that a road bike is your best bet. That said, since people don't like the drop bars. You might consider a flat bar road bike if that's the case. If you're running over glass on a regular basis, you're going to want some serious puncture resistance. I've seen gator skins and armadillos recommended. You can add Kevlar puncture guards and sealing gel too.

London?
big-smile.png

Probably this one, in orange!
big-smile.png
(With fenders of course)
big-smile.png

(Cyclocross bike in Aluminium, with fenders and rack fittings.)

Is Khan's in Bayswater still open? How about Beach Blanket Babylon near Notting Hill?
smile.png

Reactions: yuhuanjoan
Frame material should definitely be steel. Groupset is of your choice. Hybrid style would work but I would lean towards a relaxed road. Just make sure you have room to run 28s to 32s (maybe even 35s). Disc brakes aren't a must but they couldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by doctorold
Frame material should definitely be steel.

Steel would be nice... But with all the rain could be challenging in maintenance.

Maybe applying a rust inhibitor first in the inside of the frame?

That would be Cro-Mo steel (Chromoly).

It will probably be lighter then Aluminium, it will also be about double the price.

A nice (Reynolds 520) frame bike with downtube shifters would cost about the same price as an Alu bike.

A nice-r (Reynolds 853 or something) with brifters will probably cost around 3 times then an Alu bike.

Steel is supposed to be more comfortable (shock damping) and it's also supposed to have a longer service life then Alu. (Better fatigue strength). There are still steel frames around from the 70's... My alu frame bike had a fork failure at just over 5000km with no crashes.

Since you are in London (unless you just wrote that just how I have "Leningrad" on facebook...
big-smile.png
) you can have a look at "Thorn" bikes.

They make some high-end touring bikes from steel. They also make custom build like many other custom builders in the UK.

Thorn are sold over SJS Cycles (Not spamming!
big-smile.png
) (Saint John's Street Cycles) in London.

But...

As steel is 3 times stronger then Aluminium, the frames are also 3 times thinner (sometimes even more with higher grade steel) in diameter and wall thickness. Some very high-end steel frames have a wall thickness less then 1mm.

So as nice as they are, they are not for banging up on poles with D-Locks. Or crashing them.

Steel also has corrosion issues.

There are some rust inhibitors (toxic, nasty stuff) that are can be applied inside the frame of a new bike to help with that.

For a "bargain price" of about 6000 euro, you can get a Stainless Columbus Xcr frame!
big-smile.png

Cube huh?
big-smile.png
Thorn not good enough?
big-smile.png

(You know that this is a carbon bike with no fittings for fenders, racks etc yeah?)

You wouldn''t be trolling now, would you?
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Cyclesurgery don't do Thorn. So I'm limited to a certain number of brands like Specialized Cube Whyte Orbea Giant Willier Trek Colnago I have my backpack for carrying my bits n stuff. I thought carbon bikes were good? Trolling?

Well your trolling (if it is trolling) is still going "undetectable"... (pardon some paranoia hints, but I was watching some Ukraine ^&%& again today.)

I can vouch for Specialized's guarantee. I got a free fork from them.

Big company... As are some of the ones you mentioned.

Carbon bikes are good?

Yeees. They are!
big-smile.png

I did a test ride on a 5000 euro carbon thing the other day. It climbs, it accelerates like a ^%%^&, it brakes too! Mmmm mmm!
big-smile.png

For commuting? Maybe not so much.
wink.png

Troll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]"

No I'm just trying to get some advice from people that know more about it than me. Its not for commuting, I'll be using it most of the day cycling around london doing deliveries.

Right...

Well that's a race bike m8.
wink.png

Basically, it would be like making deliveries on a F3 car, minus the gas expenses.

Race bikes are faster, stiffer, they use less energy to provide with the same speed etc.

They also climb, some have aerodynamic design implemented in etc.

They are also quite expensive (in case theft is an issue) and they are not really "ment" to be locked with D-locks and left on the street.

Basically:

1. You pay 2000 euro more, for a bike to be 2kg less. And you will be carrying a 40euro 3kg D-Lock whilst using it???
2. They require more maintenance. They have not sealed gear systems, they would require adjustment, cleaning etc.
3. Parts are generally more expensive, (much more expensive) and that extra costs provides a minute advantage in weight and performance that could save a few seconds on a race.

For commuting they are just more uncomfortable and expensive. Not that there is anything wrong with commuting with them (if you are commuting in lycra an a helmet), but:

You wouldn't park an F3 car (which probably doesnt have a key ignition does it?) unlocked in Camden Town on a Saturday night would you?

The cyclocross bike above is derived from a race design, but it's kinda "ment" for commuting as well since it was fender and rack mountings. Carrying stuff on a backpack kinda knocks out your centre of gravity and makes you very sweaty.

Again, nothing wrong with using a carbon racer, but maybe it would be "even better" to just use a fast commuting bike for that.

Also race tires cost about 100 euro for the pair and some dont give out such a high mileage.

Carbon frames dont do that well in crashes. They are also hard and expensive to repair.

They do have a high service life though, in the "paper" they are about as good as steel. But there have been cases of failure, which in carbon is catastrophic. (No elastic deformation occuring prior.)

Again, not trying to say that -they cant be used- for commuting. It's just not the "ideal" tool for it probably. Unless, you only wanna have 1 bike and also wanna race in the weekends with a club or something.

But then... Why trash the race bike on commuting? You could get a 3000euro race bike for just the weekends and a used 400euro steel Cyclocross bike for the commuting...
wink.png

(addition: If you there are any cobblestones on the road a very stiff frame with no damping will vibrate like a %^*&&^, there are some "endurance" or "Roubaix" type bikes which might be more useful in non-flat terain then a stiff carbon "climber-racer".)

Why not try a Cyclocross bike for this? Enjoy the inexpensive fast frame with aero position capabilities?
big-smile.png
The wonderful high mileage grippy tires?
big-smile.png

I had an accident whilst commuting around with a race bike once... Actually I wasn't commuting, I was speeding like a ^%*& to shave some seconds on a segment in the seaside with a pair of race tires and when I returned the bike slipped under me whilst going with 5km/h over some wet pavement...
big-smile.png

Mind you, bike slips can be very nasty.
big-smile.png

Hey guys, thought I would let you all know which bike I got. Thank you for all your help and advice I really do appreciate it. http://whyte.bike/2014/product.php?xProd=116 My Bike

I think you need a reallly strong and long lasting bike of a reputed company as you are going to use the bike almost everyday. You are also saying that you will drive it daily for 20 miles and that is why, you really need a strong bike. I would highly recommend you to buy the bike online as you can get any brand you want. There are many reputed companies out there that manufacture heavy and strong bike. They might be little expensive but they would definitely be worth the price.