New Bike

Some interesting points here, to which I'd like to add my ha'pennyworth, as a dedicated, long time
user of flat bars. By flat bars, I mean those which are swept back slightly so that the grips are
about 20 - 30 degrees back from the perpendicular to the line of the bike, i.e. old-fashioned "all
rounder" bars.

>What I can't work out is whether the opinions
>> given are out of genuine conviction or whether as perpetuation of a sacred cow.
>
> Well, it's the result of a lot of experience from a lot of riders. Look at audax rides: most bikes
> fit a certain pattern. Leather saddles and drop bars very much in evidence

I am not an Audax rider, and not a very fast rider, and have not done more than 70 miles in a day in
recent times. However, I find that for this sort of distance, my flat bars remain perfectly
comfortable. I have tried drops and butterflies, but they just don't suit me, for complicated
reasons I will try to explain later. The thing that strikes me is that my physiology is not
exceptional, indeed, my girlfriend calls me Mr Average, therefore, though everyone is different, it
seems to me there must be many people cycling moderate touring distances who would equally find
traditional flat bars best suited to their needs, but you don'ts see many in touring and audax
circles. So I wonder whether it is all "a lot of experience from a lot of riders", or, to a certain
extent, people fitting in with a crowd, or doing what they are advised to, putting up with
discomfort (the changing hand positions idea, to get cope through different, alternating,
discomforts) and not experimenting for themselves.

> Not to say flat bars can't be comfortable, but the rest position of the hands is flat against the
> sides of the body, so it wouldn't be too surprising if bars which allowed the wrists to stay more
> or less in that orientation would be more comfortable.

Agreed that in line with the bike is, theoretically, the most natural relaxed position for the
hands. However, this is only the case with drops when using them in two ways:
(a) Hands on the drops or,
(b) Hands on the hoods

My problem with (a) is that I find this uncomfortable, with too much weight on the hands and strain
on the neck, together with reduced visibility of what is going on around, to use for long. This
appears to be the case for everyone else as well, as even the fast tourists I see seem to use the
drops very little.

That leaves position (b). My problem with this is that my hands dislike operating the brake leavers
from this position. I find the "thumb round the hood" position puts pressure on the thumb joint (I
am a pianist) which is more or less tiresome depending on the exact design of the hoods (modern ones
seem best), but is always there.

There are two other positions which can be used on drop bars:
(c) On the flat straight inner part of the bar and
(d) on the curve towards the hoods

Both these I would not use much because I am a cautious chap, who has had no injurious crashes for
20 years, and would like to keep it that way. Hence I do not want to be away from the brake leavers.
Also, I change gear all the time, so want to be on the gear controls (if they are on the bars at
all). These considerations would only not apply for rural riding in flat country on straight and
very clear roads.

As regards comfort, position (c) cannot be ideal because it implies an outward twist of the wrist,
pushing the thumb joint into the bar (this also is the case with mountain bike-style straight bars
and butterfly bars). But on drops, I find there is the additional issue that this places the hands
close together, which is not good for control, and produces a more hunched shoulder position which
is probably more aerodynamic, but less healthy.

Position (d) reduces the narrowness of the grip, but twists the wrists even more outward.

So I find the ideal for me is the compromise of the 20 - 30 degree sweep back, which angles the
fingers outwards and relieves pressure on the thumb joint, also allowing easy and strong braking. Of
course, this means that most of the time I am more upright than many tourists like to be. However,
you can still set the bars rather low if you want (stem and frame allowing), and you can still get
down into the wind temporarily by bending your elbows. This I find more comfortable than getting
down on drops.

The "variety of hand position" arguments doesn't ring true to me. I think I have found an optimum
which I can go for a long time with, and seems better than constantly squirming and restlessly
alternating between the four non-ideal positions on drop bars, uncomfortable and unsatisfactory in
their various different ways. I do slightly alter the position on the straight bars from time to
time on a long ride, and relax the arm, wrists and shoulders occasionally by means such as riding at
finger-tip or with one hand, where the going is easy.

It seems to me like playing a musical instrument. Professional pianists, violinists etc. do not find
the need to alternate different ways of sitting or holding the instrument even when practicing for
many hours on end. They have found the optimum which gives comfort for a long period, and make only
small adjustments on it.

I suppose audax riders have other aims than comfort, and so these arguments will apply less to
them than to more relaxed touring cyclists. However, my other point is that I think straight bars
are safer.

I am currently experimenting with butterfly bars on one of my bikes, and different settings for
those, so maybe I will have altered my opinions after more experience, but I don't expect so.

I am just left with very unfashionable-looking bikes with old-fashioned handlebars, but who cares
about fashion?

More than a ha'pennyworth, I fear, but it seems a complicated issue which you don't see discussed
very much. Happy riding, whatever you choose.

David Arditti

On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:31:54 +0100, David Arditti <[email protected]> wrote:

>> it's the result of a lot of experience from a lot of riders. Look at audax rides: most bikes fit
>> a certain pattern. Leather saddles and drop bars very much in evidence

>I am not an Audax rider, and not a very fast rider, and have not done more than 70 miles in a day
>in recent times. However, I find that for this sort of distance, my flat bars remain perfectly
>comfortable.

Like I said: nothing says they can't be, but most of us who have tried both find that drops work
better on long rides. Or at least most of those I've come across.

>it seems to me there must be many people cycling moderate touring distances who would equally find
>traditional flat bars best suited to their needs, but you don'ts see many in touring and audax
>circles. So I wonder whether it is all "a lot of experience from a lot of riders", or, to a certain
>extent, people fitting in with a crowd

Audax riders are not given to conformism. They are more likely to ride 'bents, Moultons and other
interesting machines than the general run of riders. They also, typically, specify their machines
very carefully and measure and fit the bike to quite exacting standards. You can be sure that if
flat bars were genuinely more likely to prove comfortable on long rides than drops, they would be
fitted to Audax bikes in large numbers. These guys are serious about their bikes and serious about
being able to remain in the saddle or extended periods of time with minimal discomfort. Honest.

Or (c) on the hooks, ****-out going fast downhill :-D

>My problem with (a) is that I find this uncomfortable, with too much weight on the hands and strain
>on the neck, together with reduced visibility of what is going on around, to use for long.

Not a problem I find on the tourer, although the relaxed neck angle and lack of weight on the
shoulders is much appreciated when riding a Proper Bike (TM)

>This appears to be the case for everyone else as well, as even the fast tourists I see seem to use
>the drops very little.

Mainly because there is no real incentive to use the drops if you're not trying to go fast. Hoods is
more comfortable and more sociable. Nothing more sinister than that. I have ridden very long
distances consistently on the drops before now

>There are two other positions which can be used on drop bars:
>(c) On the flat straight inner part of the bar
>(d) on the curve towards the hoods

>Both these I would not use much because I am a cautious chap, who has had no injurious crashes for
>20 years, and would like to keep it that way.

I've never crashed due to using either position.

>The "variety of hand position" arguments doesn't ring true to me.

Nonetheless, it works for a lot of people.

>It seems to me like playing a musical instrument. Professional pianists, violinists etc. do not
>find the need to alternate different ways of sitting or holding the instrument even when practicing
>for many hours on end. They have found the optimum which gives comfort for a long period, and make
>only small adjustments on it.

Much like riding a recumbent. And audax riders seem quite content on their drop-bar bikes as well...

>I suppose audax riders have other aims than comfort,

Not really.

>However, my other point is that I think straight bars are safer.

Say what? I've been knocked off by cagers with various sorts of bars, but never lost control or
crashed due to inability to brake sharply enough. This hasn't been a real issue to my mind since the
end of the vogue fopr suicide levers.

>I am just left with very unfashionable-looking bikes with old-fashioned handlebars, but who cares
>about fashion?

Nobody - drop bars are deeply unfashionable :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"David Arditti" <[email protected]> wrote < several snips for length>

> Guy Chapman wrote
>> David Roberts wrote

> Some interesting points here, to which I'd like to add my ha'pennyworth,
as
> a dedicated, long time user of flat bars.
>
> >>What I can't work out is whether the opinions given are out of genuine conviction or whether as
> >>perpetuation of a sacred cow.
> >
> > Well, it's the result of a lot of experience from a lot of riders. Look at audax rides: most
> > bikes fit a certain pattern. Leather saddles and drop bars very much in evidence

> So I wonder whether it is all "a lot of experience from a lot of riders", or, to a certain extent,
> people fitting in with a crowd, or doing what
they
> are advised to, putting up with discomfort (the changing hand positions idea, to get cope through
> different, alternating, discomforts) and not experimenting for themselves.

Sacred cows... There's seems to be an echo round here.

> Agreed that in line with the bike is, theoretically, the most natural relaxed position for the
> hands. However, this is only the case with drops when using them in two ways:
> (a) Hands on the drops or,
> (b) Hands on the hoods

> My problem with (a) is that I find this uncomfortable, with too much
weight
> on the hands and strain on the neck, together with reduced visibility of what is going on around,
> to use for long. This appears to be the case for everyone else as well, as even the fast tourists
> I see seem to use the drops very little.

You bet!

> That leaves position (b). My problem with this is that my hands dislike operating the brake
> leavers from this position. I find the "thumb round
the
> hood" position puts pressure on the thumb joint (I am a pianist) which is more or less tiresome
> depending on the exact design of the hoods (modern ones seem best), but is always there.

Agree.

Actually I have my set up quite tolerable now with the drop position as the dominant one (what
would be the point of drop bars otherwise?). But then I am a keen tinkerer so I guess many people
just put up.

When I use the hoods I seem to rest either the base of my palm or the knuckle of the first finger on
the notch rather than the thumb.

With older brakes I found a similar problem as you, reaching round the front to get a good purchase
on the lever. Since I changed the type of brake, operation has become much easier on the grip.

> There are two other positions which can be used on drop bars:
> (c) On the flat straight inner part of the bar and
> (d) on the curve towards the hoods

I find that these parts of the bar give insufficient reach for any practical use.

> The "variety of hand position" arguments doesn't ring true to me.

Mystery to me too. As far as I can see, their sole purpose is to be an aerodynamic aid.
Nothing more.

David Roberts

David Arditti <[email protected]> wrote:
>Agreed that in line with the bike is, theoretically, the most natural relaxed position for the
>hands. However, this is only the case with drops when using them in two ways:
>(a) Hands on the drops or,
>(b) Hands on the hoods My problem with (a) is that I find this uncomfortable, with too much weight
> on the hands and strain on the neck, together with reduced visibility of what is going on
> around, to use for long. This appears to be the case for everyone else as well, as even the
> fast tourists I see seem to use the drops very little.

This is because everyone mounts drop bars too low, as if they are racing.

I have mine mounted such that the drops are where a conventionally set up bike's hoods would be.
This means I can reach the drops very easily, and so I get to use both hand positions; it also means
I can get very upright going uphill, where permitting deep breathing with an upright torso is more
important than aerodynamics.

[I also have bars with shallow ramps, which are very comfortable.]

Braking is not quite as easy from the hoods, but of course going uphill you don't need as
much braking.