New Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Flywilson, May 7, 2003.

1. Flywilson

Flywilson New Member

I am just getting my first bike and have narrowed my choices down to a couple bikes. My first is a specialized allez comp, second is a trek 2200 and third, possible a felt f50. If you have any reccomendations or opinions please let me know. Thanks again.

Tags:

2. Kristian

Kristian New Member

What do you want the bike for? Do you want to race, or just hoon around? What made you narrow your choices down to that 3 in the first place? I believe bottom line is go with what YOU like not the guy in the shop or what everyone else rides.

3. Flywilson

Flywilson New Member

Kristian,
    I have ridden all three bikes, I liked the specialized the best but I don't have enough experience riding to judge the difference between the bikes. I am getting the bike with expectations of riding about 150-200 miles a week in 3 or 4 days. Once i get in shape and have a little experience under my belt i would like to start racing, and don't want to regret not having spent the extra money on a bike now a year or two down the road.

4. Kristian

Kristian New Member

Hi Fly,

Have you considered a second hand bike? You get alot more for the same cost if you know what you are looking for. It is hard to feel the difference between bikes especialy when you just take them for test ride. Go with your heart as I feel they are all fairly simmilar bikes. Perhaps go with the one with the better components and groupset.

5. clever_guy

clever_guy New Member

Flywilson;

The Trek and Specialized are nice bikes (haven't seen a Felt in person). I don't think you would be disappointed with either.

Keep in mind though you WILL want something new in 2-3 years. Given your plan you will have ridden 15,600 miles (150miles/week x 104 weeks) in the time period. In that period you will probably have gone through a few wheel-sets and groupos. The frameset will probably have taken a good beating (scratches, dings, rocks, etc.) at that rate as well. If you go through with what you are planning I would recommend definately get a road bike in the range you are looking at, with a good groupo, and make sure it is properly fitted for you. With the volume of riding you are planning, in 2-3 years you will have a good idea of what your next bike will be from your experience.

Have fun,

-CG