New bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Henke

I am shopping for a new bike and I'd like to get some opinions. I already have a mountain bike (Trek
6500) with some hybrid accents (upgraded Shimano gearing & slick tires), so I am looking for a
road/touring bike. I am a 'big & tall' guy: 6'4" and 240lbs. (my mountain bike has suspension
seatpost and fork) I am looking for something under $1500 that rides well and is comfortable. Those
are my priorities.

I have had some people say: 'get a chromoly frame, because it is more forgiving, and therefore
more comfortable' and yet others say 'get an aluminum because the carbon fiber or chromoly will
flex too much and you'll throw the chain a lot'. One pro shop recommended a road bike - the Trek
1200c. Another pro shop recommended a touring bike - a Giant OCR Touring. Given my weight, the
touring bike was recommended because of the wider tires, longer wheel base, and sitting more
upright helps my back.

The reason I am looking for a new bike is due to riding more. I love riding my mountain bike on
gravel trails where I live. But I rode in a 50 mile charity ride this weekend on my mountain bike. I
kept up with my team, but it was hard work. I am riding with the same team in a 150 mile ride in 2
months. As I get more involved in long rides, the road/touring bike will get used more and more. I
want to hae the new bike for the 150 mile ride. What do people think?

Status
Not open for further replies.