New bike!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gman, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Gman

    Gman Guest

    The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

    Adult BMX rules!

    I picked 'er up on Tuesday, but have only gotten one short ride in due to work issues.

    Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race Face.
    Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF cranks
    be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for the
    crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

    The bike is TIGHT and feels very balanced, much more so than my Specialized. It's also friggin'
    HUGE. This may be the biggest MTB I've ever ridden. I think for once a bike _acutally_ fits
    me.

    Jury's still out on the egg beaters. They provide a lot of float, and coming down hill fast is a bit
    disconcerting as it feels like you're standing on a cloud. I'm used to a little more feedback. I
    think I'll definitely get used to them tho.

    Anyway, look forward to gettin' 'er out this weekend for some runnin'!

    Gman

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    >
    > Gman

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but that thing is almost good looking.

    What kind of a rider are you...no King headset??
    --
    Slacker

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    >

    > Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
    > Face. Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF
    > cranks be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for
    > the crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

    FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same for TV's BB's tho'. (Rumor
    is they've improved them recently, however.)

    Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.

    PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!

  4. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    >
    > Adult BMX rules!
    >
    > I picked 'er up on Tuesday, but have only gotten one short ride in due to work issues.

    That is a beautiful bike. SS bikes are a study in simple elegant design.

    > Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
    > Face. Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF
    > cranks be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for
    > the crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

    They're about the same as RaceFace: Forged, CNC, etc. Just cheaper.

    > The bike is TIGHT and feels very balanced, much more so than my Specialized. It's also friggin'
    > HUGE. This may be the biggest MTB I've ever ridden. I think for once a bike _acutally_ fits
    > me.

    You're a big boy, Gman. That is a big bike.

    > Jury's still out on the egg beaters. They provide a lot of float, and coming down hill fast is a
    > bit disconcerting as it feels like you're standing on a cloud. I'm used to a little more feedback.
    > I think I'll definitely get used to them tho.

    Yeah, you'll get used to 'em. You could go BMX all the way and get some "shin burger" spiked
    flat pedals.

    > Anyway, look forward to gettin' 'er out this weekend for some runnin'!

    Sounds great. Have fun.

    Barry

  5. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:44:28 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    >>

    >> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the
    >> Race Face.

    > FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same for TV's BB's tho'.
    > (Rumor is they've improved them recently, however.)
    >
    > Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.
    >
    > PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!

    I hope my experience is the same with the cranks. As luck would have it I have them mated to a Race
    Face Evolve FR BB. Hopefully that guy will hold up. Time will tell.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Barry Bargain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > They're about the same as RaceFace: Forged, CNC, etc. Just cheaper.

    How expected of you.

    JD

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:44:28 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    > >>

    > >> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
    > >> Face.
    >

    > > FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same
    for
    > > TV's BB's tho'. (Rumor is they've improved them recently, however.)
    > >
    > > Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.
    > >
    > > PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!
    >
    > I hope my experience is the same with the cranks. As luck would have it I have them mated to a
    > Race Face Evolve FR BB. Hopefully that guy will hold up. Time will tell.

    I bought a Race Face Isis BB (not the $ignature; this one was ~40 bux) to try with the Stylo
    crankset I pulled off after the "Sealex" BB lasted about 6 weeks. However, in the meantime I
    installed an Ultegra (!) BB and my thrashed XTR cranks and cassette, and they just won't die!
    (Middle chainring, cassette AND chain all worn out, but together they work fine.)

    Bill "impending doom" S.

  9. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  10. Skokatt

    Skokatt Guest

    Gman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 148440.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

    Congrats... beautiful bike... seems like it was worth the wait... I'm awaiting an equipment report,
    specifically on the of flip-flop hub.

    Chris www.skokatt.com
    _____________________________

    People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child. In a jar. On my desk.

  11. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    nice and simple....

    Dave (I guess if that's your bag)

  12. Henry Ong

    Henry Ong Guest

    that's not an adult bmx bike...now this is an adult bmx bike :p
    http://www.henryong.com/pics/azonic/azonic1.JPG sorry the pic isn't too big though. it's an azonic
    ds1 singlespeed setup. =)

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
    >
    > Adult BMX rules!
    >
    > I picked 'er up on Tuesday, but have only gotten one short ride in due to work issues.
    >
    > Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
    > Face. Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF
    > cranks be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for
    > the crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.
    >
    > The bike is TIGHT and feels very balanced, much more so than my Specialized. It's also friggin'
    > HUGE. This may be the biggest MTB I've ever ridden. I think for once a bike _acutally_ fits
    > me.
    >
    > Jury's still out on the egg beaters. They provide a lot of float, and coming down hill fast is a
    > bit disconcerting as it feels like you're standing on a cloud. I'm used to a little more feedback.
    > I think I'll definitely get used to them tho.
    >
    > Anyway, look forward to gettin' 'er out this weekend for some runnin'!
    >
    > Gman

  13. Bomba

    Bomba Guest