new bike..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by n2t, May 1, 2007.

1. n2t

n2t New Member

So I just bought the GMC denali road bike (waits for boos and laughter to start). I needed a bike imediately as my GF doesn't have a car, and having 2 is just to expensive. I went to 2lbs they had new at 1k, used in need of "some work" at 600 or a hybrid at 450. Scheels carried low end trek but the roadbike was 500 and the hybrids and "mountain bike" also treck was around 250. Something tells me that I would be happier paying 147 and saving my pennies for when I know what I want. Pros, this bike was inexpensive and available, looks good, and isn't a mountain bike. Cons it's 25" I needed the 22.5 (if I stand up the bar is about touching me so I won't hop off to fast), it has shimano STI and Revos not 105 groups, tires/tubes seem to be an odd configuration. Rear axle is ?free wheel? or some such not for heavy users as it tends to bend and grind into the frame (I weigh 160lbs fully clothed with backpack, or about 148-152 normaly) I got an inexpensive bell helmet, chain, front and rear schwin light (had to mount on handle bar) and a rear view mirror to be legal. I'm going out today will ride to work and back about 3 miles. I know nothing on bikes so I'm simply going to tell you guys how it holds up. Hopefully this will hold me through till I learn enough about bikes to be able to spend between 500-1500 on something more lasting and well fit. That right now is my goal, get to work, write an honest review of a walmart bike, and get to work on a regular basis. Off to go adjust grifters (?grip shifters?) as obviously the 5buck and hour guy didn't take that kind of time himself. I hope that I don't get banned for the BSO, lol. Great site you have going here keep it up.

UPDATE
    after a few tries I managed to get the grip shift shifting smoothly and accuately, just a bit of tugging on the cable and tightening. I'm off to work today for it's first run. Will tell you how it goes.

Tags:

2. n2t

n2t New Member

couldn't edit the post a second time for some reason. Did about 5 miles today, new for both me and the bike. No problems, smooth shifting, stopped well. Light lacks brightness but that's what you get for 13.99 at walmart it was good enough for now so I'll keep it on. Mirror is at an odd angle, may have to consider a different mount than the one that slides over the endcap area, I can see it if a hunch forward, but generaly it's easier to look over my shoulder. I made the 5 mile trip in about 25 mins, the dirt road made for a bit slower going. More updates to come as segnificant things develop. Generaly I will be putting 50 miles a week on this thing, according to those numbers and the fact that "most walmart bikes go 300miles in their lives and manufacturers know that" I should have good or bad news in about two months or so. We shall see how this turns out in real life.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Hey, at least you are riding daily! You probably should have bit the bullet though and bought a hybrid if you have to ride on a dirt road. It could be a little treacherous when it is muddy on a road bike with the thin tires.

4. n2t

n2t New Member

It is an option, not a must, if I turn a street earlier I can avoid it all together. I'll probably bite the bullet eventualy and get a nicer road bike and components, but I want to see exactly how far and how long this kind of thing will last. Cheap bikes usualy come as mountain bikes are road bikes, so a hybrid wasn't an actualy option. Besides I know when I get a "real" bike it's going to be a road bike so I wanted an apples to apples comparison, even if it's crab apples to granny smiths.

5. n2t

n2t New Member

Sorry to double post on this constantly but I can't see an edit button. Update, got only 11 miles on the denali. Had a momentary shifting issue today, clicked a bit and wouldn't go down to the smallest sprocket from the middle one on front gears. Only happened once but I'm thinking the cable stretched a tad. Will give it a go on the 5 miles home tonight if it continues to be an issue will tighten cable and see if that fixes. Both pop in end caps have fallen off the handle bars, one in store one on the trip this doesn't bother me much. Dropped it on the ground today, scratched up petal a tad but that's about it, no frame damage got to be more carefull. I made it about 5 miles in about 25 mins today, this was mostly at a slight uphill grade and I am apparently out of shape as I was a bit winded at the end. Bike owned 2 days, ridden 11 miles casualties scratched pettal, lost endcaps on both handle bars, lost cable end clamp (pulled it of myself while tightening shifting cable) paint rubbed off shift box (happened at store), and scratched petal. Overall feelings, to early to tell, right now it's working but hasn't had enough milage to show anything. More to come if anyone cares.

6. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

As a 200lb fan of old bikes, I am convinced a freewheel hub can hold up with gentle use and with proper cone adjustment, because if the cones are snug then the hub keeps the cone from turning which in turn keeps the axle from bending. This is at worst a harmless theory because why is it wrong to keep your cones well adjusted? BTW if the clearance changes it will change at the beginning of the cone's life as it breaks in.

7. n2t

n2t New Member

Thanks for the input but I don't really know what a cone is I'm afraid. Shifter is adjusting fine again only a single hickup so not to bad. only got 2 of my projected 5 miles in today. Got attacked by a guy beating up his Gf on the side of the road and had to get a car ride home to avoid possably being killed. Will put another trip on it friday of 5-10miles though. Read about the attack in the do you carry a gun thread if you are interested in details. This bike riding stuff is dangerous.

8. n2t

n2t New Member

This will be the first bikeride home since the whole crazy guy deal. I won't be carrying a gun as it's of questionable legality on base, and would make grabbing a soda etc rather inconveniant since I don't carry concealed. Hopefully nothing occurs of the physical nature. I've now tried 2 mirrors, a handle mount and a helmet mount and found both to be sub par. After reading up on bike laws I've found I don't need a mirror thankfully. So hopefully I can return 20 dollars worth of mirrors and have no worries, easier and more accurate to look over my shoulder. The bike is now at 19 miles with no issues and the shifting issue seems to be fixed. I'm going to get it to 100 miles and take it into the bike shop for a checkup, sofar so good though.

9. n2t

n2t New Member

well I feel rather useless now. First I called kent, they admit they wouldn't take this bike on a 100 mile ride as it probably won't stand up to it..that's disheartening, then I found a guys thread on another forum that had the same bike and he already did a test to see how long it would hold up. He's at a bit over 3400 miles on it, has changed out some parts due to preferance but seems I'm simply reinventing the wheel. But now I'm confused, anyone reading this thread, how is it they told me at kent that my bike would last for "Years" on 10 mile round trip comutes to work, but would be questionable on a 100 mile ride wth? Guess after this I'll just let the tread die. Thanks all that were reading.