New Bike

Prairie Roots

Guest
At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste, not
brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--handle
grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!

It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal and
the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think that's
cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging traffic will be
very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a real bikie.

I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and a
very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain and
lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small rack on
the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold off on bike
shorts till warmer weather.

I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-fetched
idea after all.

Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the lakes.

Prairie Roots

Prairie Roots wrote:
> At long last I have a bike.

[snipped]

> Prairie Roots

Congrats, happy biking and save travels :)

Cheers Marc

Oh how very very cool

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
> fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
> year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
> all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste,
> not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--
> handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
>
> It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
> coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal
> and the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think
> that's cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging traffic
> will be very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a real bikie.
>
> I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and a
> very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain and
> lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small rack
> on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold off on
> bike shorts till warmer weather.
>
> I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
> smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-fetched
> idea after all.
>
> Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the lakes.
>
> Prairie Roots

OKAY!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! ! ! !

Ah, yes, good ol' celeste - that's the color of my commuter bike.

Sounds like you are getting it fully equipped.

Automatic transmission sounds interesting - the drop frame ('girls') or diamond frame?

Yup, bike shorts are in your SMALL future.

__o -\<, ( )( ) Keep on pedaling.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:58:27 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
>fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
>year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
>all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste,
>not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--
>handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
>
>It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
>coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal and
>the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think that's
>cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging traffic will be
>very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a real bikie.
>
>I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and a
>very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain and
>lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small rack on
>the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold off on bike
>shorts till warmer weather.
>
>I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
>smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-fetched
>idea after all.
>
>Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the lakes.
>
>Prairie Roots

I've been beknighted! (as signified by the ascii art)

The only bad thing about the color is that the neon lime jacket clashes with it. I'll have to check
out the availability of Bianchiwear. <G> Either that or buy red and black gear.

No girl's bike for me, despite the automatic transmission. I bought the MAN's bike, i.e.
diamond frame.

By the time it's shorts weather, maybe I will indeed be wearing size S shorts.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:32:07 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>OKAY!!!!!!
>
>YES!!!!!!!!
>
>C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! ! ! !
>
>Ah, yes, good ol' celeste - that's the color of my commuter bike.
>
>Sounds like you are getting it fully equipped.
>
>Automatic transmission sounds interesting - the drop frame ('girls') or diamond frame?
>
>Yup, bike shorts are in your SMALL future.
>

> __o -\<, ( )( ) Keep on pedaling.
>

>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:58:27 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
>>fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
>>year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
>>all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste,
>>not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--
>>handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
>>
>>It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
>>coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal
>>and the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think
>>that's cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging traffic
>>will be very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a real bikie.
>>
>>I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and a
>>very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain and
>>lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small rack
>>on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold off on
>>bike shorts till warmer weather.
>>
>>I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
>>smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-fetched
>>idea after all.
>>
>>Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the lakes.
>>
>>Prairie Roots

Prairie Roots
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

You have no idea how much/long I've wanted this. Wanna know something?
The last time I rode a bike (about 5 years ago), I was winded after a
block. Today when I went for the test ride, I felt I could go forever.
To be healthy and strong gives such a powerful feeling. Connie said it
best in an earlier post: "8 feet tall and bulletproof."

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:18:57 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh how very very cool
>
>"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all
>> the fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's
>> last year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a
>> picture for all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came
>> in Celeste, not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with
>> red accents--handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
>>
>> It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
>> coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal
>> and the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think
>> that's cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging
>> traffic will be very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a
>> real bikie.
>>
>> I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and
>> a very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain
>> and lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small
>> rack on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold
>> off on bike shorts till warmer weather.
>>
>> I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
>> smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-
>> fetched idea after all.
>>
>> Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around
>> the lakes.
>>
>> Prairie Roots

Prairie Roots
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Way cool. Happy commuting.

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
> fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
> year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
> all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste,
> not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--
> handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
>
> It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
> coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal
> and the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might think
> that's cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while dodging traffic
> will be very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel like a real bikie.
>
> I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors) and a
> very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain and
> lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small rack
> on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold off on
> bike shorts till warmer weather.
>
> I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
> smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-fetched
> idea after all.
>
> Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the lakes.
>
> Prairie Roots

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:02:12 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Way cool. Happy commuting.

Between the remodeling project that's about to start and this new bike, I'm about to explode from
giddiness. It's not so much the things themselves, but what they represent. The hole from which I'm
emerging was very dark and deep. Weight loss is only one indicator of how far I've stepped into the
light. Prairie Roots
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I wear lime green or bright yellow with everything and anything. Being hit from the rear by a pickup
truck will do that to your "color senses!"

Go for the gusto - go for the MEN'S bike! (G)

The shorts are most comfortable, especially for longer rides, Bikie.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:45:32 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>a very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike chain
>>>and lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a small
>>>rack on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday. I'll hold
>>>off on bike shorts till warmer weather.
>>>
>>>I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe how
>>>smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-
>>>fetched idea after all.
>>>
>>>Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around
>>>the lakes.
>>>
>>>Prairie Roots
>
>Prairie Roots
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Point taken. Staying alive is the ultimate in cool.

I do recall your mentioning you'd been hit from behind. That's so horrible I'd blocked it from my
memory. Makes me even more glad I stuck to my list of requirements and am having those little extras--
like real lights--added on. I'll save the cool wear for the off-road bike trails around the lakes.

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:31:01 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>I wear lime green or bright yellow with everything and anything. Being hit from the rear by a
>pickup truck will do that to your "color senses!"

Prairie Roots
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

It's more sophisticated than my car. Very cool. I like the size S jacket that you bought!!

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/201.5/155 RAFL 210.5/201.5/198.5

Congrats on the new bike!

--
Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/

Remove "invalid" to reply

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You have no idea how much/long I've wanted this. Wanna know something? The last time I rode a bike
> (about 5 years ago), I was winded after a block. Today when I went for the test ride, I felt I
> could go forever. To be healthy and strong gives such a powerful feeling. Connie said it best in
> an earlier post: "8 feet tall and bulletproof."
>
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:18:57 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Oh how very very cool
> >
> >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all
> >> the fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's
> >> last year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a
> >> picture for all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model
> >> came in Celeste, not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green
> >> with red accents--handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!
> >>
> >> It's a 7-speed bike, just right for the commuting and recreational riding I intend to do. The
> >> coolest part is that it auto-shifts, like an automatic transmission on a car. All I do is pedal
> >> and the bike senses when I need a higher or lower gear, shifting automatically. Some might
> >> think that's cheating. But I can imagine that having one less thing to think about while
> >> dodging traffic will be very nice indeed. I can turn off that function if I ever want to feel
> >> like a real bikie.
> >>
> >> I'm having a fender package installed as well as front and rear lights (not just reflectors)
> >> and a very soft seat. I bought a neon lime jacket, size S (I still can't believe that!), bike
> >> chain and lock, reflective helmet, and ordered a back pack for commuting. The bike comes with a
> >> small rack on the back and they'll give me straps when I go to pick up the bike on Tuesday.
> >> I'll hold off on bike shorts till warmer weather.
> >>
> >> I've only ever had bikes from a discount chain. When I test rode the bike, I couldn't believe
> >> how smooth and easy it was to pedal. I'm so excited. Becoming addicted might not be such a far-
> >> fetched idea after all.
> >>
> >> Don't know that I'll ever ride a century, but I'm sure looking forward to riding around the
> >> lakes.
> >>
> >> Prairie Roots
> >

> Prairie Roots
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I know how important it is to get out of the deep dark hole. One step at a
time :) Congratulations.

..and congrats on the bike too. :)

Julie

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:02:12 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Way cool. Happy commuting.
>
> Between the remodeling project that's about to start and this new bike, I'm about to explode from
> giddiness. It's not so much the things themselves, but what they represent. The hole from which
> I'm emerging was very dark and deep. Weight loss is only one indicator of how far I've stepped
> into the light. Prairie Roots
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

PR that is so cool! I think I felt a bit the same when I started my belly dancing class last year :
it was the first time I did any movement/exercise in public since about 10 years. I was so excited!
I felt like I had hidden in a dark place for so long. Now I go swimming in a public pool and I feel
very proud of myself for doing that. We 're getting there, slowly but surely.
--
Nathalie from Belgium
134.1/101.1/minigoal 99.9 Goal 68 Kg
news:[email protected]...

wrote:

>At long last I have a bike. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally today, after all the
>fanfare, I went out and got exactly the one I've been pining for for more than a year. It's last
>year's model Bianchi Auto-Milano, which means I got it for a song. Here's a link to a picture for
>all you bike fans: http://www.bianchiusa.com/auto-milano.html Last year's model came in Celeste,
>not brushed aluminum. Celeste is Bianchi's signature color, kind of mint green with red accents--
>handle grips, seat, and red-wall tires. Very chic!

Wow that sounds fantastic. I hope it turns out to be as good as you anticipate. Biking is a great
way to get exercise too.

Keep safe

ray
--
rmnsuk
273/202/182

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:46:22 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Point taken. Staying alive is the ultimate in cool.

Yes. That way you enjoy the bike and the NEW you for much longer. Style takes a back seat to safety
when biking. Our local bike club actually offers short courses in bike safety for adults as well as
kids. Use care when you first hit the road - watch for drivers opening doors in your lane. Try
getting eye contact with drivers at intersections - many drivers do not use their turn signals -
seems more a disability of YOUNG aged drivers. Also, you should use hand signals when turning and
slowing. But enjoy it.

>I do recall your mentioning you'd been hit from behind. That's so horrible I'd blocked it from my
>memory. Makes me even more glad I stuck to my list of requirements and am having those little extras--
>like real lights--added on. I'll save the cool wear for the off-road bike trails around the lakes.
>
>Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement.
>
>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:31:01 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I wear lime green or bright yellow with everything and anything. Being hit from the rear by a
>>pickup truck will do that to your "color senses!"
>
>Prairie Roots
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

After a year, you're probably a quite experienced belly dancer by now. There's an aerobics video
based on belly dancing moves. I've watched a 60-second clip and am totally impressed with the
flexibility, sensuality, and confidence belly dancers possess. I would bet that belly dancing is a
life-transforming activity. And sure enough, now you're swimming in public places!

As Fred reminded me the other day, we're ALL walking miracles.

Linda P

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:55:50 +0100, "Nathalie W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>PR that is so cool! I think I felt a bit the same when I started my belly dancing class last year :
>it was the first time I did any movement/exercise in public since about 10 years. I was so excited!
>I felt like I had hidden in a dark place for so long. Now I go swimming in a public pool and I feel
>very proud of myself for doing that. We 're getting there, slowly but surely.

Prairie Roots
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Way to go Prairie,

I actually took my bike out of the shed yesterday and rode to my WI. If the weather holds I might do
it every Saturday. A good way to earn activity points that is for sure. It is about 20 minutes
either way for me. Happy trails to you.

Carol
206.2/187/140

"Prairie Roots" wrote in message ...
> At long last I have a bike.

---

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:33:25 GMT, ray miller
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Biking is a great way to get exercise too.

Shh! Don't ruin it by mentioning the "E" word. <G>

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Well it sounds like you've purchased a very nice bike. I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely!

--
Brenda
209/186/150 RafL goal 165