New bike

mingcat9

Jun 9, 2004
okay, I'd like to get a new road bike. I currently have a trek 1000.
I want to race, most likely crits.
I'm about 5'3 1/2. I've looked at specialized's allez and others. does anyone race on these?

I have no more than $1200 i can spend on this bike. I'm thinking of buying the specialized cr-mo allez frame and then buliding it with shimano 105.

Are you looking to spend $1200 total? www.wrenchscience.com has a ciocc frame (steel) for $850. If you can save up wait-I highly recommend a colnago classic. I am about the same hieght as you. The colnago is the most comfortable ride. I feel in control at all speeds. Also, bianchi makes a great steel frame and they DO have something in your price point. The frame is upgradable and will retain its value. There should be dealers of bianchi and colnago in your area.

FYI: it was recommended to me when I started to race to use my old bike until I felt comfortable riding at a fast speed in a group.

Good luck w/your search! Hope this was helpful.

Originally posted by stella
Also, bianchi makes a great steel frame and they DO have something in your price point. The frame is upgradable and will retain its value. There should be dealers of bianchi and colnago in your area.

FYI: it was recommended to me when I started to race to use my old bike until I felt comfortable riding at a fast speed in a group.

Good luck w/your search! Hope this was helpful. [/B]

Thanks, stella! I loked at the bianchis. I found a couple models that i'm going to test ride at LBS. thanks! and, probably the reason it was suggested to ride your old bike was because it's slower and training on it would make you faster on the new bike.
I was told that when I got my aluminum trek.

LOL! I assumed I was told to race on my old bike because I would probably crash in my first couple of races ;) ever the optimist am I....
Let me know how the test ride goes on the bianchi...

haven't tried the bianchi yet... I'm looking at cannondale, since getting a specialized cr-mo isn't much of an option-- apparently they've sold out. I looked at the R1000 fem, which is awesome, but close to $2000, and the R500 fem, and R800...so as of yet--undecided. The r800 has better components than the r500, by far. but the colors on the r800 aren't great. and I can afford better than the r500, but the colors are so much more to my likeing than anything other than the r1000fem team paint colors.
I couldn't test ride, though, because they didn't have my size. the search continues....

I ended up buying a felt f70.
it's a great bike at an even better price--shimano 105, carbon fiber fork, wellgo spd pedals, a pretty blue Al frame-- for $889.
I had to drive about 45 minutes to the nearest felt dealer, but they even had my size in stock, and for a 50cm frame that's not common.
so far I've been too busy for a long ride, but I can hardly wait.:)

Congrats! It sounds like you got a great deal...I had forgotten about Felt bikes. They get very good reviews in various cycling magazines.