New Biker Owner Question

David

Guest
I have just returned to riding a bicycle for the first time in 30 years. I decided to start riding
as I had to give up running to help me keep fit. I must confess I don't know much about modern
bicycles and I wish I had consulted this group before purchasing a Giant Boulder 6061 ALUXX. I
explained to shop assistant that I would riding about 4-5 times a week, mostly roads (as there are
no trails in inner city London) and to keep fit. His main concern was how much intended to spend.
I'm fairly happy with the bicycle I had it 4 weeks now but the chain keep falling off when climbing
steep rises and changing down to an easier gear. This problem is leaving me with a lack of
confidence in the bicycle.

Am I doing something wrong or is the bicycle not configured correctly?

I would be interested in reading opinions on my bicycle for mostly road use?

Is it true RST Capa CL suspension is not adjusting?

Can anyone recommend a book that can help me to maintain my bicycle?

Overall I love the experience of riding but I'm shocked at the conditions of the roads. I look
forward to reading helpful comments.

"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have just returned to riding a bicycle for the first time in 30 years. I decided to start riding
> as I had to give up running to help me keep fit. I must confess I don't know much about modern
> bicycles and I wish I had consulted this group before purchasing a Giant Boulder 6061 ALUXX. I
> explained to shop assistant that I would riding about 4-5 times a week, mostly roads (as there are
> no trails in inner city London) and to keep fit. His main concern was how much intended to spend.

Hmm. Sounds not like a good shop, but you say you're happy with the machine which is the main thing.

> I'm fairly happy with the bicycle I had it 4 weeks now
but
> the chain keep falling off when climbing steep rises and changing down to an easier gear. This
> problem is leaving me with a lack of confidence in the bicycle.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the bicycle not configured correctly?

Bike requires minor adjustment. Normal for a new bicycle. The cable connecting the gear change
mechanism to the handlebars is out of length by a tiny amount. There will be an adjuster within the
line of the mechanism to deal with this. Get someone to point it out to you (far easier than typing
to explain). While doing this, find the similar adjusters for the other gears and the brakes.

> I would be interested in reading opinions on my bicycle for mostly road use?

Don't know what your bike is (and I'm not about to look up the catelogues), though mention of
suspension suggests its not perfect. However, fit fairly smooth tyres and keep them well pumped up
and you'll be fine.

> Is it true RST Capa CL suspension is not adjusting?
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that can help me to maintain my bicycle?

Haynes (the car manual people) do one. Its a good start.

NC

In message <[email protected]>, NC <[email protected]> writes

>"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have just returned to riding a bicycle for the first time in 30 years. I decided to start
>> riding as I had to give up running to help me keep fit. I must confess I don't know much about
>> modern bicycles and I wish I had consulted this group before purchasing a Giant Boulder 6061
>> ALUXX. I explained to shop assistant that I would riding about 4-5 times a week, mostly roads (as
>> there are no trails in inner city London) and to keep fit. His main concern was how much intended
>> to spend.
>

>Hmm. Sounds not like a good shop, but you say you're happy with the machine which is the
>main thing.
>

>> I'm fairly happy with the bicycle I had it 4 weeks now
>but
>> the chain keep falling off when climbing steep rises and changing down to an easier gear. This
>> problem is leaving me with a lack of confidence in the bicycle.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is the bicycle not configured correctly?
>
>Bike requires minor adjustment. Normal for a new bicycle. The cable connecting the gear change
>mechanism to the handlebars is out of length by a tiny amount. There will be an adjuster within the
>line of the mechanism to deal with this. Get someone to point it out to you (far easier than typing
>to explain). While doing this, find the similar adjusters for the other gears and the brakes.
>

>> I would be interested in reading opinions on my bicycle for mostly road use?
>
>Don't know what your bike is (and I'm not about to look up the catelogues), though mention of
>suspension suggests its not perfect. However, fit fairly smooth tyres and keep them well pumped up
>and you'll be fine.
>

>> Is it true RST Capa CL suspension is not adjusting?
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a book that can help me to maintain my bicycle?
>
>Haynes (the car manual people) do one. Its a good start.
>

>NC

Most bike shops offer a free service after 6 weeks to fettle small problems like this. Also, any
minor problems, just take the bike in and ask them to adjust.
--
Michael MacClancy

david wrote: ..........
> I'm fairly happy with the bicycle I had it 4 weeks now but the chain keep falling off when
> climbing steep rises and changing down to an easier gear. This problem is leaving me with a lack
> of confidence in the bicycle.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the bicycle not configured correctly?

I presume chain is coming off as you change down to the inner chainring at the front. Don't worry,
this can be fixed. First, check (or get bike shop to check) front derailleur adjustment*. If that
fails -- and chain even with properly setup derailleur will still occasionally fall off on some
bikes with particularly small "granny" rings, especially when adjacent ring is much larger -- a
special little device can be fitted to prevent it _ever_ happening! (I got this problem on my old
tourer with my new 24/40/52 chainset - fixed with a strategically placed upside down pump peg!). A
good bike shop (and the mountain bikers) should know about these things. Products include Third Eye
Chain Watcher and Deda Dog Fang.

* http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

> I would be interested in reading opinions on my bicycle for mostly road use?
[Giant Boulder ALUXX]

I would consider changing tyres. If doing tough off-roading, Schwalbe City Jet 1.5's are good
(available cheaply from www.wiggle.co.uk ). There some other tyres which would better suit a mixture
of on and off road.

> Is it true RST Capa CL suspension is not adjusting?

Don't know.

> Can anyone recommend a book that can help me to maintain my bicycle?

I think the internet is better nowdays. So much more, and more up-to-date info is available, but a
book still may be good to get you going. I'll leave recommendations to others.

~PB

"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> Overall I love the experience of riding but I'm shocked at the conditions of the roads.
<snip>

Me too! this is why it's good to have a 4x4 and a full susser in the shed ;-) Those who say "a 4x4
and never go further than Sainsburys carpark" have never driven / rode on Walsall roads ;-)
er....before the responses come in, I use Morrisons and do get into the Great Outdoors
occassionally Dave.
p.s. keep enjoying it, but remember, cycling is very low impact, whereas running is v.high impact.
you will need to carry out some form of exercise, if possibl, to ensure continued skeletal
strength / health.....I think...

david wrote:
> This problem is leaving me with a lack of confidence in the bicycle.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is the bicycle not configured correctly?

See other posts on adjusting the gears, though that aside you can lose even a well adjusted chain
if your technique is lousy. If you wait until you need to be in the new gear before you change and
have quite a lot of force on the pedals as you switch, then the whole thing will be under a lot of
stress when things actually move. If you can shift without much power going through the system at
the instant of change that will help things tremendously. So if you're going up a hill and find
things slowing down a bit, change straight away rather than waiting until they've slowed down more.
Try and predict when you'll have to change gear ahead of time. If that's proving tricky what can
help is if you cycle one gear down from what you find natural at first. You'll spin the pedals a
bit more, but in many cases that's actually a Good Thing with less stress on your knees as you push
down. And it also gives you a bit more leeway before a change produces the interesting crunching
noises and chain throws!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I wrote:
> I would consider changing tyres. If doing tough off-roading, Schwalbe City Jet 1.5's are good

Sorry. That should be: "If NOT doing any tough off-roading...". (The City Jets are basically slick
road tyres for mountain bikes).

~PB

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:34:50 +0100, david wrote:

> Boulder 6061 ALUXX. I explained to shop assistant that I would riding about 4-5 times a week,
> mostly roads (as there are no trails in inner city London) and to keep fit.

You should be able to find cycle paths and quiet roads to ride on in inner city London without too
much problem. Look out for the London Cycle Network signs (blue bicycles) and follow some. LCN maps
are freely avaialbe at Tube stations, or you can call 020 7222 1234.

Or just go down to the canal and ride along the towpath, or along the Thames Path.

> Overall I love the experience of riding but I'm shocked at the conditions of the roads. I look
> forward to reading helpful comments.

The London Cycling Campaign will have lots of information for you. Go to their website
http://www.lcc.org.uk

Have a look at the 'Rides and Events' pages and come along on one of the easier rides. All you need
to do is turn up at the start point.

On the LCC Rides page, there are some self-help classes staring on 30th April
http://www.lcc.org.uk/news/events2.asp

Also on the LCC pages, find out about your local area group. And join them! Local groups organise
rides, and also maintenance classes.