New book coming! "The Folding Bike"!!!

Jeff Potter

Guest
I'm wrapping up a new book for this spring, tentatively titled "The Folding Bicycle."

It'll be the first book covering the complete world of the folding bike, its history, development,
variants, shopping details, pros'n'cons, racing, touring, political issues. The works!

It's by Gunnar Fehlau and first came out in German. It's gorgeous. Now it'll be updated and
in English!

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE ANY FOLDING BIKE NEWS OR DETAILS FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW. The more the merrier.
We want it to be as complete and up-to-date as possible.

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:42:53 -0400, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm wrapping up a new book for this spring, tentatively titled "The Folding Bicycle."

Cool, I'll look forward to it. Folding bikes are all the rage in Japan
- I see the R&M Birdy everywhere I go. There are some interesting ones made in Japan as well, which
I hope you will mention - the Panasonic Traincle titanium folder and the Tartaruga semi-recumbent
folder being the most notable. There's also a new bike called the MC-1 which is quietly attracting
attention. I don't even know who makes it but here are some photos:

http://www1.neweb.ne.jp/wa/kaz-taguch/mc-1.htm

Even if you didn't know about it, you probably have the resources to find out more about it. The
notable feature is that both wheels turn freely when folded, allowing you to push the bike like a
dolly. I believe it even disengages the chain.

Thanks, I personally think the Dahon Helios is the cat's meow. 20 pounds and $750 are a great combo
for ANY bike. I think it has great polish and elegant styling as well. Brompton still my fave fold
action, though. But times change, so thanks for your further input!

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music

...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new
social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

PS: Very cool! A dolly plus a seat plus a compact fold! Now, if the fold-action is seamless/flowing
and the bike is light, then we got a real winner!

Ken Kobayashi wrote:

> [ ] There's also a new bike called the MC-1 which is quietly attracting attention. I don't even
> know who makes it but here are some photos:
>
> http://www1.neweb.ne.jp/wa/kaz-taguch/mc-1.htm

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music

...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new
social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

What about the Strida? I've never seen one in person, but from the pictures it looks like the
folding action could hardly be improved upon.

--
Greg Dunn

news:[email protected]...

Greg Dunn wrote:

> What about the Strida? I've never seen one in person, but from the pictures it looks like the
> folding action could hardly be improved upon.

It's true that the Strida's folding action is rather nifty, but as a bicycle its performance appears
to leave something to be desired. Like the ability to be ridden in a straight line without the rider
having to hang on like grim death. I've seen a few examples around London, and none has had its
wheels pointing in the right direction. I see a *lot* of Bromptons, which fold small and work fairly
well as bicycles too.

If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something that folds, buy a deckchair ;-)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Actually, I have a really nifty deck chair already, so maybe I'll look into putting rollers
on it. :cool:

http://www.foldingrecliners.com/recliners.php?cat=6

--
Greg Dunn www.BicycleCommuter.com