New Brake levers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason McClendon, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. I'm an occasional recreation rider. My brake levers are too far away from the bar (and a bit too
    small methinks). Is replacing them an option? or too much trouble? Would this be something I could
    do myself? I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jason McClendon writes:

    > I'm an occasional recreation rider. My brake levers are too far away from the bar (and a bit too
    > small methinks). Is replacing them an option? or too much trouble? Would this be something I could
    > do myself? I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

    As I understand it you want more mechanical advantage and less hand reach (aka less lever travel).
    If you consider the problem in light of these two parameters I think you'll see they conflict. As
    mechanical advantage increases (longer lever), so does lever travel for the same action at the brake
    pad. There are reasons for the dimensions of current brakes and they are fairly at the limit as is
    mentioned in the hydraulic brake thread in this forum.

    See also: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.15.html