New brake pads too close to rim

Iain Dalton wrote:
> The package says
> "for all threaded stem brake systems."

Why would the stem type have anything to do with the brake shoes?

Marketing weasels are ruining Earth.

--Blair

[email protected] wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> I have a pair of Eagle 2 threaded stud pads here (not
> cantilever pads). They are a mm or two thinner than an
> ancient pair of Diacompe threaded pads, like what the
> OE pads on that bike would have been before 17 years
> of wear. The OP's pads should work.

How thick are they again? My pads are 16 mm thick,
and fairly new.

> Possibly the problem is that the brake is not really open
> all the way in the pictures. When it is really open to the
> max, the arm with the cable fixing bolt will hit against the
> part that holds the pad. You need to detach the cable
> from the fixing bolt to do this, since the adjuster is already
> screwed in all the way.

I agree those calipers should splay more when released
though iirc they stop before the arm contacts the cabling
gadgets (on the right of the pictures). I'm not tempted
to detach mine to double check.

He's got the adjuster nut all the way down, too, meaning
no room to open them that way. Loosening the cable
about half a cm and then taking up slack with the adjuster
nut should leave it in a place where it can be properly
readjusted as the pads wear.

--Blair

landotter wrote:
> Rick wrote:
> An easy solution to your problem, really, and for only
> > $8/wheel (Sheldon calls them "best value in the Kool Stop line", Jobst
> > rides with them, they are basically great brake shoes/pads).

Sheldon sells them for $5.95...

Or $7.95, depending on what page you're looking at, and what part of
the page:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=479
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

Interesting that there's no metal on the spine.

> $8 plus $4 shipping from the CycleDirect ebay store--for two packs of
> the grey ones. Bought from that guy before, super fast shipping:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/emm4v

Hmm. Why aren't those orange, too?

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Iain Dalton wrote:
> > The package says
> > "for all threaded stem brake systems."

> Why would the stem type have anything to do with the brake shoes?
>
> Marketing weasels are ruining Earth.

Threaded stem = threaded post, like most caliper brakes
need, as opposed to smooth post, which most
cantilever brakes of the 80s and 90s needed.
Think before blaming your failure to parse on
marketing weasels.

I wrote:
> Threaded stem = threaded post, like most caliper brakes
> need, as opposed to smooth post, which most
> cantilever brakes of the 80s and 90s needed.
> Think before blaming your failure to parse on
> marketing weasels.

Sorry, that was excessively bellicose, but anyway,
this one isn't the marketing weasels' fault. My Kool-Stop
package says the same thing, so I guess they always
call it a "stem" while many of us think of it as a "post."

On 5 Aug 2006 15:54:08 -0700, "Blair P. Houghton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>landotter wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>> An easy solution to your problem, really, and for only
>> > $8/wheel (Sheldon calls them "best value in the Kool Stop line", Jobst
>> > rides with them, they are basically great brake shoes/pads).

>Sheldon sells them for $5.95...
>
>Or $7.95, depending on what page you're looking at, and what part of
>the page:
>
>http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=479
>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental
>
>Interesting that there's no metal on the spine.
>

>> $8 plus $4 shipping from the CycleDirect ebay store--for two packs of
>> the grey ones. Bought from that guy before, super fast shipping:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/emm4v

>Hmm. Why aren't those orange, too?
>
>--Blair

Dear Blair,

Kool Stop brake pads come in many different flavors:

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.html

They mention black, red, silver, blue, yellow, green, sky-blue, white,
pink, orange, and salmon.

You can also combine colors on the same pad, somewhat like ordering
vanilla and chocolate on the same ice-cream cone.

So far, no triple-color pads are available, but it can't be long
before someone notices how many blades men's razors have nowadays.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 5 Aug 2006 15:30:29 -0700, "Blair P. Houghton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Iain Dalton wrote:
>> The package says
>> "for all threaded stem brake systems."

>Why would the stem type have anything to do with the brake shoes?

Perhaps it's referring to the attachment of the brake shoe -- where a
nut goes on the end of a threaded shaft or stem on the pad holder.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Threaded stem = threaded post, like most caliper brakes
> > need, as opposed to smooth post, which most
> > cantilever brakes of the 80s and 90s needed.
> > Think before blaming your failure to parse on
> > marketing weasels.

I'm blaming it on my testosterone levels which are elevated
by being so thoroughly fooled by Floyd Landis' "win for the
ages".

(How hard is it to remove a tattoo? What can I have inked
over "GO FLOYD!" that wouldn't look too bizarre?)

> Sorry, that was excessively bellicose,

So you watched the Tour, too?

> but anyway,
> this one isn't the marketing weasels' fault. My Kool-Stop
> package says the same thing, so I guess they always
> call it a "stem" while many of us think of it as a "post."

I understand. Sometimes I too have to remind people that
on my bike the crank is at the bottom of the seat-tube, not
the top...

--Blair

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> My shopping list for an old bike would be:
>
> New brake cables, both inner and outers. They are the biggest
> improvement you'll get.

By inner and outers, what do you mean? The cable and the sheath?

> Brake blocks.

Same as brake pads, I presume? Check.

> Throw away the brake levers if they are the ones for drop handlebars
> with the "suicide" secondary brake levers. They are very difficult
> to set up accurately so they actually work (hence the "suicide"
> label they acquired).

I do not have those.

> New gear cables. Consider repacing inners. Replace rear inner with
> the tight turn onto the derrailleur.

How will I know when these need replacing?

> Bar tape. Probably with some cushioning underneath (Specialized have
> some in their catelogue, and I guess there are other sources in the
> US. I'm from the UK, so pointers to UK sources are of little use).

Yeah; I will buy bar tape, also.

> Tyres and tubes. Rim tape on wheels.

Check; check. Rim tape = rim strip? Check.

> On the maintenance side, clean out the old grease and replace with
> new at all the main ball bearings; wheel hubs, bottom bracket,
> steering. If you can also do the pedal spindles, though some pedals
> defeat attempts at dismantling.

Sounds like a lot of trouble. How will I know when I need to do this?

wrote:

>Iain Dalton wrote:
>> The package says
>> "for all threaded stem brake systems."

>Why would the stem type have anything to do with the brake shoes?

I would expect that whoever translated the original text mean "post" instead of
the word "stem" which is accurate enough except for having a very different
meaning in this particular field.

Ron

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> I'm blaming it on my testosterone levels which are elevated
> by being so thoroughly fooled by Floyd Landis' "win for the
> ages".
>
> (How hard is it to remove a tattoo? What can I have inked
> over "GO FLOYD!" that wouldn't look too bizarre?)

You don't need to change a thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Patterson

Or accept that since we draw enjoyment from professional
sporting spectacles even though we know performance
is all too easily modified (I'm not talking just about cycling,
but baseball, football, synchronized swimming, "reality"
show actors with plastic surgery, you name it) we shouldn't
be too righteously quick to condemn them as immoral when
the entertainers are caught in their illicit efforts to put on a
better show for us.

> > Sorry, that was excessively bellicose,

> So you watched the Tour, too?

It's not just July; too much RBR and your hormone levels are
permanently askew.

On 5 Aug 2006 20:56:21 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>> I'm blaming it on my testosterone levels which are elevated
>> by being so thoroughly fooled by Floyd Landis' "win for the
>> ages".
>>
>> (How hard is it to remove a tattoo? What can I have inked
>> over "GO FLOYD!" that wouldn't look too bizarre?)

>You don't need to change a thing:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Patterson
>
>Or accept that since we draw enjoyment from professional
>sporting spectacles even though we know performance
>is all too easily modified (I'm not talking just about cycling,
>but baseball, football, synchronized swimming, "reality"
>show actors with plastic surgery, you name it) we shouldn't
>be too righteously quick to condemn them as immoral when
>the entertainers are caught in their illicit efforts to put on a
>better show for us.

If there was a pill that made you doctor more capable would you insist he take
it. What if it had known life shortening side effects?

How about a pill that made your present labors more productive so that you got a
promotion and raise?

Ron