Road Cycling · Public discussion

New brakes are too long...need help

Started by MEOJ · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,062 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 March 2013
Last activity
13 March 2013
Original author
MEOJ
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,062
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi I'm new here...I just replaced my original brakes(shimano no model name) for ultegra 6700. The brake pads are at their lowest point possible but not all of the pad lies near the rim. My bike is a TREK 1.5 2011. I have no play with the brake pads. Does any one know if the 105's are the same? I would be willing to swap for 105's.

    Thanks

  2. My gut tells me the reach on the 105 and Ultegra are the same. Just took a quick look at the Shimano site and couldn't get any measurements to compare. The terms to describe what you are after are "short reach" caliper, "long reach" etc. and some manufactures make multiple lengths to accomodate for fenders, etc. (or at least used to). Racing frames typically took short reach and touring frames long reach.

    You would want something like this: amazon.comB005QUICMW

    Maybe someone else can chyme in regarding the higher end Shimano calipers but you definitely don't want to ride with brake pad making any contact with the tire. You may need to live with the original calipers for a bit longer.

    Edit: I hope I am understanding you correctly - the thread title reads new brakes too long, but your description makes them out to be too short.

  3. Thanks for the info, and yes I made a mistake, they are too short. I went to my LBS and they had the similar problem with a Felt and giant bike. My solutions would be to file down the hole where the brake sits or grind down the brake pad. I opted the the grinding. They now sit flush on the rim without touching the tire.[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/IMG]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.