new build and Campy questions

JonnyG

Aug 18, 2010
Thanks to all for the helpful replies to my other posts.

I went to a local bike shop yesterday, and I managed to find a couple bikes that were Campy equipped. I wanted to compare the old Ergo shifters with the new Ultra shifters to see which I liked better. I wasn't able to ride any bikes, just play with them in the showroom. I'm coming from a Shimano bike (Ultegra / 600 shifters), and I'm kind of used to the bigger "knob" on the shifters, so I think I prefer the newer "Ultra" Campy shifters. The older Ergo shifters felt like I could slide right off. Less of a knob to lean on.

1. Do the Centaur Ultra shifters function well, have they been reliable and are they servicable? Are they a Xenon based shifter (that you guys previously cautioned me about)?
The one description I read said they are a ball bearing design. The negative comments I have read have been related to them being too quiet, can't tell when you've changed gears, tendency to overshift. Is this issue so bad that I should consider the previous generation Ergo shifters?

2. Opinions on cranks... I saw some comments that the Centaur carbon crank was quite nice, but the rings were stamped and didn't look too great. That's why I might consider upgrading to Athena or Chorus (11 speed). I also prefer the look of silver rings to black. I really only need a 48 tooth big ring, so I could just buy Centaur and get new rings (TA?). I'm a wee bit nervous about carbon in general, so I'd like to stick with the big brand name (ie. Campy). Sounds like the Fulcrum cranks are pretty similar however. I'd be glad to hear opinions on cranks...

3. My current handlebar selection is the FSA wing pro. I like the shape of it, but it has very little drop. Anybody know something similar with a hair more drop?

4. Forks. I'm going to ask the frame builder about a custom steel fork, but I suspect I'll go with carbon to save some weight. I'll probably stick with a alloy steerer however. If the Alpha Q CS10 were still available, I'd get that (OX platinum steerer). Unfortunately, it's gone. What's your favourite fork? I need one for a non-integrated headset.

5. Lastly for today... How does the brake release mechanism work on Campy? I hear it's on the shifters and not the calipers. Where is it exactly?
Thanks muchly.
Jon

JonnyG said:
Thanks to all for the helpful replies to my other posts.

I went to a local bike shop yesterday, and I managed to find a couple bikes that were Campy equipped. I wanted to compare the old Ergo shifters with the new Ultra shifters to see which I liked better. I wasn't able to ride any bikes, just play with them in the showroom. I'm coming from a Shimano bike (Ultegra / 600 shifters), and I'm kind of used to the bigger "knob" on the shifters, so I think I prefer the newer "Ultra" Campy shifters. The older Ergo shifters felt like I could slide right off. Less of a knob to lean on.

1. Do the Centaur Ultra shifters function well, have they been reliable and are they servicable? Are they a Xenon based shifter (that you guys previously cautioned me about)?
The one description I read said they are a ball bearing design. The negative comments I have read have been related to them being too quiet, can't tell when you've changed gears, tendency to overshift. Is this issue so bad that I should consider the previous generation Ergo shifters?

2. Opinions on cranks... I saw some comments that the Centaur carbon crank was quite nice, but the rings were stamped and didn't look too great. That's why I might consider upgrading to Athena or Chorus (11 speed). I also prefer the look of silver rings to black. I really only need a 48 tooth big ring, so I could just buy Centaur and get new rings (TA?). I'm a wee bit nervous about carbon in general, so I'd like to stick with the big brand name (ie. Campy). Sounds like the Fulcrum cranks are pretty similar however. I'd be glad to hear opinions on cranks...

3. My current handlebar selection is the FSA wing pro. I like the shape of it, but it has very little drop. Anybody know something similar with a hair more drop?

4. Forks. I'm going to ask the frame builder about a custom steel fork, but I suspect I'll go with carbon to save some weight. I'll probably stick with a alloy steerer however. If the Alpha Q CS10 were still available, I'd get that (OX platinum steerer). Unfortunately, it's gone. What's your favourite fork? I need one for a non-integrated headset.

5. Lastly for today... How does the brake release mechanism work on Campy? I hear it's on the shifters and not the calipers. Where is it exactly?
Thanks muchly.
Jon

1. No, the innards are identical to those levers above them with the exception of a notched disc that hs detents for 10s rather than 11s. Shifting effort is much lighter than the older Record/Chorus shifters. The levers can be completely taken apart and parts replaced altho Campagnolo offers assemblies rather than the really small bits. VERY reliable in the sense there is no spring carrier, no shift springs..nothing to really break ala older ERGO.

2. Small ring on Centaur carbon is machined, big ring is aluminum. There is an aluminum crank option for Centaur or Athena which are the same arms but machined both rings. Yes you can get a TA 48t ring with a bolt pattern specific to Campagnolo(110/112).

3. Ritchey has a Streem hbar with a flat top and deeper drop. Also Evolution, same drop but oval top but alas, carbon only(big $). Streem are alu or carbon.

4. The only think you buy with carbon vs a nice steel fork is less weight. If it's custom, you can have the builder make it specifically for the frame. Ritchey forks are nice also.

5. QR button right above the pivot point on the brake lever. Push it one way opens the brake, other closes it. GREAT system in that you don't loose brake caliper capability since the lever opens the brake caliper. With caliper brakes, it gets wider and it may not reach the rim, with Campagnolo you just close the brake, even if it's 'open' and have the same braking.