New cable for STI Old Ultegra 600 - How????

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
How do I get into an old Ultegra sti unit to change the cable - the brake cable was easy, but the gear cable - I can see a little slot where it should thread through, the left hand side lever was easy to change, but I can't get the old cable out, it seems to wrap around somewhere on the inside of the lever??????????????

please help.

janiejones said:
How do I get into an old Ultegra sti unit to change the cable - the brake cable was easy, but the gear cable - I can see a little slot where it should thread through, the left hand side lever was easy to change, but I can't get the old cable out, it seems to wrap around somewhere on the inside of the lever??????????????

please help.
hi,
1.loosen the binder bolt on the rear derailler so the cable is free.
2.shift the STI gear lever repeatedly until its in top gear position.
this will expose the end of the cable - looking in the assembly from the right hand side you will see the swaged end of the cable.
3. push the cable from left to right through the STI body.
4. if the end of the cable is too damaged to run freely thru the STI body cut it off.
5. replacing is the reverse - you always set up STI shifter in top gear position
ie 53/12 etc
atb

greenpeter2001 said:
hi,
1.loosen the binder bolt on the rear derailler so the cable is free.
2.shift the STI gear lever repeatedly until its in top gear position.
this will expose the end of the cable - looking in the assembly from the right hand side you will see the swaged end of the cable.
3. push the cable from left to right through the STI body.
4. if the end of the cable is too damaged to run freely thru the STI body cut it off.
5. replacing is the reverse - you always set up STI shifter in top gear position
ie 53/12 etc
atb
Thankyou, I'll see how it goes.