New Campagnolo shifters photographed

BikingBrian said:
Ooooh...I guess I will eat my previous words, that is pretty cool :cool:
The levers look much better from those photos. Altho I'm wondering if dirt and grime might not find their way into the whale grooves on the hoods?
All in all, tho, looks sorta Star-Trek/Mektronic...might start to grow on me :D
HMmmm. Jimmy Neutron (and/or, Elvis OR Lady Bird Johnson!?!) come to mind ...

Until I have a chance to wrap my hands around one of the new levers, I would have to say that this is an instance when form may not follow function.

alienator said:
Why a 5 gear freewheel? We only need one... it does seem from all the forums and the cyclists I see around my town, you really can get by with just one gear..

Well, some people might be able to do that. But my knees require a certain amount of pampering for me to be able to ride efficiently across a varied terrain w/o ending up in pain.
Don't think 11-spd would contribute significantly to my overall level of happiness, but the simple pleasures of SS bikes are beyond me.
Apart from that it seems like a triple crank and a 5 rear will fulfil my needs about just as well as a double crank and a 8/9 rear.
I don't think an 11 rear would give me the required range from a single crank anyhow, which otherwise is something that would have been marginally worth looking into.

Now now. Let us wait to try them... I have the sinking feeling I need to sell the family car and purchase a Super Record 11 groupset. Clearly I would ride faster with all that carbon... :D

Powerful Pete said:
BTW, bike-components already has prices up for Campagnolo Record 11 speed here ...
Interesting that they have a listing for Veloce 11 speed. I thought only SR, R, Chorus groups are going 11 while Centaur/V are staying at 10.

sogood said:
Interesting that they have a listing for Veloce 11 speed. I thought only SR, R, Chorus groups are going 11 while Centaur/V are staying at 10.
Good point. I wonder if it is their screw-up or there is something that Campagnolo did not tell us yet... it would be interesting to see Campagnolo take their entire line-up to 11 speed for 2009 and see how Shimano, SRAM and FSA (remember, they keep on threatening to release full road and mtb groups) react.

Interesting also that Campagnolo is making this retro-compatible by fitting the 11 speed cassette onto the old hubs. So no one has to get rid of their Campagnolo standard wheels when they upgrade.

By the way, a very detailed article with oodles of pictures (including on-bike and all of the technical diagrams) can be found here.

The article is in Italian, but if you scroll down the page you will find very detailed pictures of all three of the top-end groups: Super Record, Record and Chorus.

Campagnolo is declaring weights to be as follows:

- Chorus - 2.145 gr.
- Record - 2.015 gr.
- Super Record - 1.964 gr.

Wowie. I need a Super Record group. :D

English article (not quite as detailed) can be found here.

N.B. - I got all of this off of weightweenies, God bless 'em.

I've had most of a new 10 speed bike ready to build up sitting in my garage for well over a year now. Its to be my new 'race' bike.
I've not bothered to build it up because I know I'm unlikely to go any (or much) faster on it just because its 10 speed(I'll probably get it done one day - or sell it as parts again).

I'm very happy with my 9 speed training and racing bikes:) .

The bike I train on mostly is my SingleSpeed - and I love passing people on the latest and greatest bikes....which will still happen when 11 speeds reach here too.

Powerful Pete said:
By the way, a very detailed article with oodles of pictures (including on-bike and all of the technical diagrams) can be found here.
Those ARE better pics ...

This one shows what I wanted to know (of course, EACH individual will need a hands-on test to know if there is any advantage to the new shape for the way s/he rides), so I'm posting it:

spazio_maggiore.jpg

Also keep in mind that a shim will be available to increase the 'thickness' of the ergo and provide more room for those with larger hands...

Bigbananabike said:
I'm very happy with my 9 speed training and racing bikes:) .
The bike I train on mostly is my SingleSpeed - and I love passing people on the latest and greatest bikes....which will still happen when 11 speeds reach here too.
Fair enough. I think that all of us here will agree that it is all about your legs, and not about the equipment. Ergo, if you are more fit than I it is clear that you will pass me, no matter if I have a 12,000 Euro unobtainium bike.

And, if we were to be honest, most of us would agree that anything over Centaur/Ultegra is actually very much overkill for the average rider's needs.

And yet, I would rather ride Super Record (or DA) for that matter. It looks nice, works slightly better, and I enjoy my rides more with nicer equipment.

We all realise that it does not make a difference to regular joes out on our rides!

Powerful Pete said:

The article is in Italian, but if you scroll down the page you will find very detailed pictures of all three of the top-end groups: Super Record, Record and Chorus.

Campagnolo is declaring weights to be as follows:

- Chorus - 2.145 gr.
- Record - 2.015 gr.
- Super Record - 1.964 gr.

Wowie. I need a Super Record group. :D

English article (not quite as detailed) can be found here.

N.B. - I got all of this off of weightweenies, God bless 'em.

Interesting in that Record 10s is 1970 grams now. Plus I'll bet God doesn't care about the weight of road bike grouppos.