New Campy chain but which one?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rudycyclist, Nov 28, 2006.

1. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I need a new chain but I'm not sure if I should get the Veloce, Chorus, or Record. These are the prices at my LBS: Record - about $90 Chorus - about $80 and Veloce - about $65. Which will last me the longest? I have no concern about weight. I figured the Veloce would be best because it will last longer and is cheaper. Will it actually last longer? I guess I was kind of putting all my Campy assumptions into place (Record is lightest but not the most durable in some cases, etc.). Anyway, which one would you guys recommend?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Nice shop!?! How do the gold faucets in the shop owner's bathroom look?

For a 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain, consider getting a SRAM 89R chain. Your drivetrain won't know the difference ... your wallet will know the difference ...

3. John M

John M New Member

I use Wipperman with my C10 drivetrain. Smooth shifting, installs with conventional tools and easy to remove for cleaning. Also cheaper than Campy. I have NOT had problems with durability.

4. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

ROTFL!

You can get the Veloce Ultra Narrow for $27.50 from 11speed.com. Chorus is like $30.

Even if you don't want to order from overseas, you can get a Rercord chain for under $50 from places like excelsports.com and coloradocyclist.com.

Your best option is to buy three Veloce chains for what the LBS wants to charge you for a Record, and then change the chain more frequently. For example, instead of using one Record chain for 3000 miles, use the Veloce chains for 2000 miles each for a total of 6000 miles. Your cassettes will wear a lot slower.

I like to have extra chains in my tool box because then it is no big deal to swap out the old one. There is no reason to procrastinate.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

I second that suggestion on Veloce. Weight difference really is minimal.

6. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

Another vote for Veloce. But the prices at your LBS are a bit steep. Probike kit would be your best bet for Campy.

I personally would buy a KMC X10 chain from Nashbar for under $30 (use 20% discount codes...) or the Wipperman Nickel from Licktons, also under $30....