New Campy crank worth the money?

kobyson

Nov 6, 2007
I have been riding a Chorus Carbon 10-speed crankset for a couple years and am now considering going to the new Ultra Torque model. A couple friends, as well as LBSs, say the difference is really noticeable and my bike will surely be more responsive. A couple other friends say, "No way will it make a difference." Any opinions on this matter would be appreciated.

kobyson said:
I have been riding a Chorus Carbon 10-speed crankset for a couple years and am now considering going to the new Ultra Torque model. A couple friends, as well as LBSs, say the difference is really noticeable and my bike will surely be more responsive. A couple other friends say, "No way will it make a difference." Any opinions on this matter would be appreciated.
I have never ridden one, but you might see if someone who has one will let you take a spin on his bike to see if you like them. I really can't see how a crankset will make a bike more responsive but I have been wrong before. Just try it!

Me thinks the only difference will be a lighter wallet.
But I may be biased....I also ride Campy square taper (and aluminium at that :p )
My TT bike has a Veloce ultra-torque crank on it; it was the easiest and cheapest thing to get. I have noticed NO difference between it and the square taper...except the square taper crank spins much easier when not under load (anyone's guess as to if this makes any difference either when pedaling under load....my hunch is that it probably doesn't as well)

kobyson said:
I find it hard to believe that most cyclists not named Boonen or Backstedt can actually feel a bb spindle bend in a hard effort. I also believe that the older campy record or chorus bb's are like a King headset: Install it and forget about it. I'm sure the new design has it's merits, but I'll stick to the older design for now. I have never had a problem with three of them, and I see no need to change. Super good deals around on the 2006 models as well.

[I had to replace a FSA triple because of crash damage and chose to get the Record compact UT. In my quest for a lighter bike with a little bling it met those criteria. I see no difference in the 'feel' but having 2 rings and definetly more precise shifting I am enjoying the crank.
john

As others have said, you'll likely see no performance improvement or changes. People who talk about feeling BB flex are talking out their asses.

That said, the new Campy UT cranks are nice. Very nice. And the Hirth joint is a very cool solution/variation on the external BB/oversized axle theme.

I would fall in the same camp as others here. I can't imagine that unless you can notice flex in the crank (unlikely unless you are a high category racer) you won't notice a performance difference based on new technology.

However, if someone who has one says differently, how would someone who hasn't ridden one know enough to contradict them? I have never ridden one...

dgregory57 said:
However, if someone who has one says differently, how would someone who hasn't ridden one know enough to contradict them? I have never ridden one...
Even for someone who has ridden one, it's not common to have exactly the same frame side-by-side for comparison. Invariably it's a comparison of a used crank being compared with a newly installed crank, without option of going back. As for comparison using different bike frames, the result is rather meaningless.

Hard, very hard.

alienator said:
As others have said, you'll likely see no performance improvement or changes. People who talk about feeling BB flex are talking out their asses.

That said, the new Campy UT cranks are nice. Very nice. And the Hirth joint is a very cool solution/variation on the external BB/oversized axle theme.
I like the Hirth design as well, since it doesn't require a taper fit with high-torque bolts to keep everything together. Plus, should eliminate the task of pulling the arms and regreasing the ISIS spindles at least once a season which I have to do now to stop creaking from the arm/spindle joint.

Still, you've got to love an LBS salesman that claims "you could tell the difference once you ride it". The LBS owner's here like to tell me that stuff too, but they can never keep a straight face after they've said it :)

Thanks to all for the input. Far be it for me to be practical about cycling gear purchases, but I know of other cycling things on which to spend the savings.

:)

dhk2 said:
I like the Hirth design as well, since it doesn't require a taper fit with high-torque bolts to keep everything together. Plus, should eliminate the task of pulling the arms and regreasing the ISIS spindles at least once a season which I have to do now to stop creaking from the arm/spindle joint.

Still, you've got to love an LBS salesman that claims "you could tell the difference once you ride it". The LBS owner's here like to tell me that stuff too, but they can never keep a straight face after they've said it :)