New car to transport bikes.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by monkeymagic, Sep 17, 2007.

1. monkeymagic

monkeymagic New Member

I recently bought a new MX5. Not recommended for transporting bikes (especially for mtb'ing)... Anyway, only a few months later I've decided it is time to sell and get something more suited for the cycling addiction. I'm looking to buy a subaru forester - has anyone had any experience with these and fitting a bike in the boot?

Tags:

2. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

I just got a used Chrysler Town and Country for transporting bikes, locked up and out of the weather.

3. ozelise

ozelise New Member

Brother in law has one, no problems. Single bike, just throw it in with rear seats folded. More than one, then remove front wheels. Alternatively roof racks if you need the interior space, both Subaru and Thule have various options.

4. ozelise

ozelise New Member

I wouldn't get rid of the MX5 just yet. At the NZO 12hr last year, I saw a MX5 with a MTB on its boot rack. A quick google search found this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Ford SD 350 Dully...plenty of room.....
    :D :D :D

6. monkeymagic

monkeymagic New Member

Ahh yer I've seen those but there is also the factor of need more room in general, sick of posing and want somewhere for my sunglasses!

Anyone had any experience fitting bikes in a golf gti? (these are the two options I'm thinking of)

7. Mister C

Mister C New Member

Don't know about a Golf GTi but I can fit one bike just fine inside my Audi A4 with back seats folded down (and the front wheel removed). This was a requirement for me. The dealer was not too happy about me testing the theory before I bought it though.

8. monkeymagic

monkeymagic New Member

LOL I guarantee you I'll be testing such theories also :) Ideally I'd like to fit two bikes in the back so I think Forester XT is the way... I never thought a large chunk of my car decision would be based upon cycling .... What have I become :confused:

9. lbraasch

lbraasch New Member

why not go with a roof rack? You can find a Thule setup for around $100 on craigslist.

I got 400xt feet, load bars, and a peloton bike rack for $80. Had to buy a fit kit, and spoiler, but that was only an extra $40.

I used to fold down the seats and pull off the front wheel, but it became quite a chore when I'd want to pick up people while I still had my bike. Also, chain grease doesn't come out of carpets very easily.

10. autobo7

autobo7 New Member

My father in law almost got a bmw 330 instead of a Z3 roadster because there was nowhere to put his bikes, but thanks to tiny trailer hitch's he got the roadster. so you not the only person who ever put you bicycle ahead of you car...:p

11. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Agree having a car that holds a bike inside is a good idea, but that doesn't mean you need a big car. I've got a NB, and the 58cm road bike fits fine. Since the GTI hatch opening is wider and taller than the NB, it should work great for one or two bikes. Just flip the seat cushion forward, fold down the rear seat, and lay the bike in. Note, I also tested the fit on the lot with the salesman before buying the car in 2000. Downside was that the salesman knew he had me as soon as the bike was tucked in.

The trailer hitch mount is popular here now too. Once a lightweight receiver hitch is installed on the car, the bike mount pops on and off easily. The style that holds the bike by the wheels looks like a slick setup to me.

12. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

A single bike can be force fit into just about any car. An old bed sheet will keep the chain yuck off of the seats and carpet.

My wife and I recently bought a Honda Element because it'll carry our tandem upright on the inside and yet the car is still short enough to fit into our smalish garage.

13. psiclist

psiclist New Member

I have used every type of rack available, and I think adding a trailer hitch and a hitch rack is the way to go. Roof racks really affect your gas mileage, even with no bikes on them. My hitch rack does not require wheel removal, the bikes don't get dirty, are very easy to put on the car, and I have room inside for all my gear.

14. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Hitch racks are getting popular here as well. The kind with the baskets that both wheels drop in are really convenient with no chance of frame damage.

+1 on the drag of bikes on a roof rack. My buddy keeps a roof rack on his Civic all the time, and his highway mileage drops to 25 mph with his bike on it; a loss of at least 5 mph. Removing the rack would likely save him another 2-3 mph on the highway, but he doesn't seem interested in doing that.