New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Nathan Congdon, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for GRR-type bikes (ultimately for
    Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto). The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing
    black will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know it, etc. I
    haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have
    a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru which you can
    see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is available now for $499, the
    double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be weight (pure
    carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper that you need for a body sock; double bubble
    about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models eliminate the
    "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And, of course, the cool factor. You can see both
    (sort of) at:

    www.ffmcycling.com

    The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be there on the final
    production version.

    The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about these. Also, he says he has
    used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs, and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of
    course YMMV.

    I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a more durable and quieter fairing
    sounds appealing. I think it's $379 for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential,
    though certainly not cheap.

    Nathan

    Tags:

  2. I smell a Trap here with my name on it and Fast Freddy and the guy in Minnesota just waiting for me
    to put my foot in it....soooo tempting.

    IF anyone buys this fairing and uses it on a LWB or CLWB...I'd love to hear about how it works
    out...in particular for seeing what is close and in front of you...like a small dog or a kid running
    into your path from the right side.....like from between parked cars.

    Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making THAT mistake again.
    "Nathan Congdon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for GRR-type bikes (ultimately
    > for Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto). The big concern seems to have been that having made the
    > thing black will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know it,
    > etc. I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted that
    > they have a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
    > which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is available
    > now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are
    > meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper that you need for
    > a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also,
    > both models eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And, of course, the
    > cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:
    >
    > www.ffmcycling.com
    >
    > The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be there on the final production
    > version.
    >
    > The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about these. Also, he says he has
    > used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs, and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of
    > course YMMV.
    >
    > I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a more durable and quieter fairing
    > sounds appealing. I think it's $379 for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential,
    > though certainly not cheap.
    >
    > Nathan

  3. "Nathan Congdon" skrev

    > The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black will lead to poor
    > straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know it, etc.

    Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look over it anyway. I ride my
    TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a clear windscreen. For all I care the
    whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over and never through it.
    http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)

    > I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted that they
    > have a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru which
    > you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is available now for
    > $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
    > weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper that you need for a body sock;
    > double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
    > eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And, of course, the cool factor.

    Its a beaut if you ask me.

    Mikael

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making THAT mistake again.

    Wow! He *IS* trainable!! :)

  5. Drjoel

    Drjoel Guest

    I can see where the solid color would be a dangerous thing. I know with my clear fairing there are
    times when the sun hits at a certain angle and it is impossible to see in front of the bike. But I
    can see down to the area in front of the bike where the holes and other dangers lurk and prevent a
    flat or worse. I would say the jury is out until we get some test riders out there.

    > "Nathan Congdon" skrev
    >
    > > The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black will lead to poor
    > > straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know it, etc.
    >
    > Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look
    over it anyway.
    > I ride my TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a
    clear windscreen.
    > For all I care the whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over
    and never through it.
    > http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)
    >
    > > I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted that
    > > they have a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
    > > which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is available
    > > now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are
    > > meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper that you need
    > > for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.")
    > > Also, both models eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And, of
    > > course, the cool factor.
    >
    > Its a beaut if you ask me.
    >
    > Mikael

  6. M.S.S.It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB. Re: to look down and
    see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem to look over the top edge at what
    is ahead, but what if you need to look down at a dog or kid...could you see it?
    ***********************************

    > "Nathan Congdon" skrev
    >
    > > The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black will lead to poor
    > > straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know it, etc.
    >
    > Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look
    over it anyway.
    > I ride my TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a
    clear windscreen.
    > For all I care the whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over
    and never through it.
    > http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)
    >
    > > I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted that
    > > they have a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
    > > which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is available
    > > now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are
    > > meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper that you need
    > > for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.")
    > > Also, both models eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And, of
    > > course, the cool factor.
    >
    > Its a beaut if you ask me.
    >
    > Mikael

  7. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "DrJoel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I can see where the solid color would be a dangerous thing. I know with my clear fairing there are
    > times when the sun hits at a certain angle and it
    is
    > impossible to see in front of the bike. But I can see down to the area in front of the bike where
    > the holes and other dangers lurk and prevent a
    flat
    > or worse. I would say the jury is out until we get some test riders out there.

    There are hundreds of Easy Racer riders who routinely uise a bodysock. That set-up precludes any
    visibility through the fairing. In my hundreds of socked miles, I have yet to encounter a situation
    made dangerous because I could not see through the fairing. A properly installed fairing on a LWB
    bike will be set for visibility over the top, not through it.

    Tom Thompson Tour Easy Tidal Wave.

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Nathan Congdon wrote:
    > ... The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of
    > weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy
    > super zzipper that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to
    > accommodate the "bubble.")....

    I am waiting for a fairing made from pure carbon with the atoms arranged in a tetrahedral lattice.

  9. "Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making THAT mistake again."

    Gee, that's a novel concept, don't kock it 'till you try it, sounds familiar. I think it's
    rediculous to make any blanket statements regarding safety, visabilty, etc... about a carbon
    fairing. It's going to be set up differently on almost every bike. Sitting on a M/L Gold Rush with a
    body sock installed I can see the ground approximately 5 feet directly in front of the bike, and of
    course to the sides even closer. There is no way a kid or dog could just appear in the "very small"
    blindspot. There are many other bikes with bigger "blind spots", like a faired F-40 even some low
    racers, and I have never once heard any complaints about visability. Making mountains out of
    mole-hills as far as I see it.

    What is your beef with Freddy anyways? Anytime his name is mentioned you have to chime in with some
    negative comment.

    Get over it.

    > I smell a Trap here with my name on it and Fast Freddy and the guy in Minnesota just waiting for
    > me to put my foot in it....soooo tempting.
    >
    > IF anyone buys this fairing and uses it on a LWB or CLWB...I'd love to
    hear
    > about how it works out...in particular for seeing what is close and in
    front
    > of you...like a small dog or a kid running into your path from the right side.....like from
    > between parked cars.
    >
    > Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making
    THAT
    > mistake again.
    > "Nathan Congdon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for GRR-type bikes (ultimately
    > > for Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto). The big concern seems to have been that having made
    > > the thing black will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as we know
    > > it, etc. I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but I'm not sure if it has been posted
    > > that they have a "double bubble" model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top
    > > thru which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke." The pure carbon is
    > > available now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of weeks for $625.
    > > Advantages are meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
    > > that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to accommodate
    > > the "bubble.") Also, both models eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the
    > > Lexan. And, of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:
    > >
    > > www.ffmcycling.com
    > >
    > > The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be there on the final
    > > production version.
    > >
    > > The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about these. Also, he says he has
    > > used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs, and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but
    > > of course YMMV.
    > >
    > > I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a more durable and quieter
    > > fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379 for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price
    > > differential, though certainly not cheap.
    > >
    > > Nathan

  10. I would still prefer to hear from some buyers. I maybe in the market for a fairing myself and a CF
    sounds kinda nice...cutting the weight with Carbon Fiber will mean I won't have to keep saying no to
    all my favorite pastries...nah who am I kidding here, there has never been a pastry I said no to.
    news:[email protected]...

  11. Tom Thompson wrote:

    > There are hundreds of Easy Racer riders who routinely uise a bodysock.

    I'm one of those. I've been riding with a bodysock for a couple of years now, mostly in NYC traffic.
    I have a couple of friends who have been doing the same for much longer. So far no problems. I've
    logged thousands of urban miles without ever needing to look through my fairing.

  12. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    > Nathan Congdon wrote:
    > > ... The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be selling in a couple of
    > > weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy
    > > super zzipper that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to extra hardware to
    > > accommodate the "bubble.")....
    >
    > I am waiting for a fairing made from pure carbon with the atoms arranged in a tetrahedral lattice.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

    Buckyballs?

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I am waiting for a fairing made from pure carbon with the atoms arranged in a tetrahedral
    >> lattice.
    >
    > Buckyballs?

    A Buckyball fairing would probably cost more than Tom's diamond fairing!

  14. Gabriel Guess you and Fast Freddy ain't communicating too often. He and I kissed and made up months
    ago. My periodic references to Fast Freddy are done in jest...I figure he knows that to be the case.

    As for the fairing...if it works I'll seriously consider buying one with the $1,000. from
    you know who.

    I have had a Windwrap fairing on a LWB and I coated it in Mylar Film. The kind people use on Van
    windows re: they can see out/you can't see in. Looked really cool having a Silver Mirror Fairing,
    blinded the crap out of car drivers using their Hi-Beams and no I didn't do it for that reason. I
    did it to prevent gravel dinging the Lexan...much more cost effective to peel off $30.00 of Mylar,
    than to replace the fairing every 6 months.

    Anyway one of the downsides to the Mirrored Mylar was it greatly reduced my ability to see where
    the f**k I was going and I ride with prescirption sunglasses on...making a bad situation worse. I
    was riding and my 20 inch front wheel went into an open sewer grate...which I did not see fast
    enough BECAUSE my lower section of the fairing was NOT Clear. I was okay but the Stratus and
    Fairing was toast.

    As I said, I want to read some ride reports from people who buy and ride with the CF Fairing. I am
    NOT attacking the design and I still hope everything works out well for Fast Freddy.

    As for you.....well what can I say Gabriel beyond "Get over it", Freddy and I did along time ago.

    "Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > > hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models eliminate the "growling" road noise
    > > > that you get with the Lexan. And, of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:
    > > >
    > > > www.ffmcycling.com
    > > >
    > > > The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be there on the final
    > > > production version.
    > > >
    > > > The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about these. Also, he says he
    > > > has used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs, and estimates it will last 3X longer than the
    > > > Lexan, but of course YMMV.
    > > >
    > > > I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a more durable and quieter
    > > > fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379 for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price
    > > > differential, though certainly not cheap.

  15. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > M.S.S.It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB. Re: to look down and
    > see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem to look over the top edge at
    > what is ahead, but what if you need to look down at a dog or kid...could you see it?

    Unless the dog or kid pops out of a manhole, you'll see it approaching from the side long before
    it's 5 feet in front of you. If something popped out from the side 5 feet in front of you, you
    wouldn't have time to react, opaque fairing or not. Human reaction times are in the range of 1 to 2
    seconds- which means that you'd run over the object/animal/person before you could react.

    A good rider will be looking far enough ahead to allow himself time to react- it's just plain silly
    to look at the road as it passes under your wheels.

    Jeff

  16. Good try, but I had just turned onto the street with the sewer grate missing, not going fast and no
    way I could see the missing grate. IF I looked over the top of the fairing I would not see the
    grate...I'd see it looking down to see in front of my front wheel....as for reaction times (am
    really fast...where and the way I ride I have to stay quick or die).
    **********************************
    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > M.S.S.It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB.
    Re:
    > > to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a
    problem
    > > to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look down at a dog or
    > > kid...could you see it?
    >
    > Unless the dog or kid pops out of a manhole, you'll see it approaching from the side long before
    > it's 5 feet in front of you. If something popped out from the side 5 feet in front of you, you
    > wouldn't have time to react, opaque fairing or not. Human reaction times are in the range of 1 to
    > 2 seconds- which means that you'd run over the object/animal/person before you could react.
    >
    > A good rider will be looking far enough ahead to allow himself time to react- it's just plain
    > silly to look at the road as it passes under your wheels.
    >
    > Jeff

  17. What Mikael said. Opaque fairings have been in widespread use for donkey's years and no-one seems to
    have had a problem with them. I used one for years on my Kingcycle.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Skip

    Skip Guest

    Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of course they happened to be
    bulletproof which they aren't.

    skip

  19. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of course they happened to be
    > bulletproof which they aren't.
    >
    > skip

    My Tour Easy's fairing is incredibly useful in my day-to-day riding. It allows me to cruise with
    motorized traffic, keeps my hands and torso warm on chilly days, keeps the rain off of my legs
    during winter commutes, and makes the bike far more visible to other travelers. What's not useful
    about that?

    Jeff

  20. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless
    of
    > > course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.
    > >
    > > skip
    >
    > My Tour Easy's fairing is incredibly useful in my day-to-day riding. It allows me to cruise with
    > motorized traffic, keeps my hands and torso warm on chilly days, keeps the rain off of my legs
    > during winter commutes, and makes the bike far more visible to other travelers. What's not useful
    > about that?

    Jeff: I'm thinking that urban or city riding is where the land is divided into small parcels with
    lots of motorized vehicles, traffic lights, and stop signs. I'm not sure what you mean when you say
    your fairing allows you to cruise with motorized traffic. I'm thinking I would need one of Joshua's
    O-45 mph in 6 seconds E-Motors for that. Speed wise the fairing on my ER seems to kick in at 17 mph
    or so. Most of my city riding is less than 17 mph and requires frequent stops and acceleration from
    those stops. I'm presuming the fairing slows me down in these situations under the theory that
    speed wise anything added to the bike that isn't helping it is dragging it down rather than
    speeding it up.

    I'm in the minority that gets an "ice cream" headache from all that cold air being funneled to my
    forehead during really cold winter riding with the fairing. I'd rather not use the fairing on those
    really cold days because to me the benefits don't outweigh the headache.

    When I ride in city traffic in the rain I seem to get wet with or with out the fairing. The fairing
    helps just as fenders might, but in the end if I'm wet I feel wet.

    You say the fairing makes you far more visible in city traffic, but I say you could get far more
    bang for your visibility buck from items actually designed to make you more visible.

    However, I do love the Zzipper fairing on my ER for the open road as it does provide definite speed
    benefits. Also it has deflected some pretty damn big bugs during summer evening rides in the
    country. They make a loud reverberating pop when they hit the fairing and I'm always glad that
    whatever it was hit the fairing and not me.

    I wonder how much a bullet proof Kevlar fairing would weigh?

    skip