New Cassette and Old Chain..Bad Idea?

capwater

Sep 15, 2003
Got a set of new Ksyriums and installed a new Ultegra (12-23) cassette on it. Runs a little rough in the middle gears. Put my old (maybe 2k miles) 105 cassette (12-25) on and it's smooth as hot buttah. I'm guessing a new chain is in order with the new cassette. Also, is there any lube required with a new cassette?

Much thanks y'all!

Always a good idea to change cassette and chain out at same time. They wear in together. i always lube my new chain - maybe just a personal preference as they seem to have something on them right out of the box. I 've always thought that was more as a rust inhibitor than a lube though.

2,000 miles on a chain is definitely getting up there - many folks swear by the '1500-mile rule'. Check the length of 12 links - if it's more than 12 and 1/8 inches it's gotta go. Put the new chain on, clean and lube it religiously, and check the length when the mileage starts racking up - it'll save you from having to buy another cassette down the road.

Originally posted by laryhead
Always a good idea to change cassette and chain out at same time. They wear in together.
....or have several chains and switch between them frequently, every 300 miles or so. That way a cassette can be made to last 2-3 chains instead of one.

I just installed new Mavic Kryserium SSC SL's with a new cassette (12-25). I had to adjust the the limit screw (can't remember which one now) on the ultegra derailler about half a turn. It would appear that the hub/cassette combo spacing was a tad larger that my Mavic Open Pro's with ultegra hubs.

Originally posted by capwater
Got a set of new Ksyriums and installed a new Ultegra (12-23) cassette on it. Runs a little rough in the middle gears. Put my old (maybe 2k miles) 105 cassette (12-25) on and it's smooth as hot buttah. I'm guessing a new chain is in order with the new cassette. Also, is there any lube required with a new cassette?

Much thanks y'all!

It would seem with the price of chains compared to your other components it would be silly not to.

Matt