New cassette = new chain?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob in CT, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides) and
    the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and put
    on a new chain?

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

    Tags:

  2. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:23:29 +0000, Bob in CT wrote:

    > I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides) and
    > the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    > put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and put
    > on a new chain?

    No. I can't see a chain wearing enough in 150 miles to be incompatible
    with a new cassette. Does it shift well? Sound healthy? Yup? Then
    fogeddaboutit.

  3. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:26:21 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:23:29 +0000, Bob in CT wrote:
    >
    >> I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides)
    >> and
    >> the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    >> put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and
    >> put
    >> on a new chain?

    > No. I can't see a chain wearing enough in 150 miles to be incompatible
    > with a new cassette. Does it shift well? Sound healthy? Yup? Then
    > fogeddaboutit.

    Thanks. I'm going to ride tomorrow (80-85 miles) and see what happens.
    Without the new cassette, whenever I put put any power to the pedals, the
    chain would jump.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  4. gds

    gds Guest

    Bob in CT <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides) and
    > the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    > put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and put
    > on a new chain?

    Depends.
    The 150 miles you have on it makes it still new so it is an issue of
    cmpatability with the cassette you just installed.

  5. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On 10 Sep 2004 11:14:22 -0700, gds <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bob in CT <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides)
    >> and
    >> the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    >> put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and
    >> put
    >> on a new chain?

    > Depends.
    > The 150 miles you have on it makes it still new so it is an issue of
    > cmpatability with the cassette you just installed.

    I didn't think of that (went from Shimano to SRAM cassette, although I
    have an SRAM chain).

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  6. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Bob in CT wrote:
    > I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4
    > rides) and the previous one had stretched enough so that the new
    > chain skipped. I put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the
    > chain I just put on and put on a new chain?

    No, but make sure the chainring(s) isn't (aren't) worn, too. How many miles
    did you have on the old drivetrain?

    (By the way, if you DO notice CR wear, then I'd simply put back all the old
    stuff and ride it into the ground. Did that on my mtb with all XTR and it
    worked fine for another 8 months or so. It's all trashed anyway, so what
    the hell?!?)

    Bill "chances are you're good to go" S.

  7. gds

    gds Guest

    Bob in CT <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 10 Sep 2004 11:14:22 -0700, gds <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Bob in CT <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> I just put a new chain on my bike (less than 150 miles; about 4 rides)
    > >> and
    > >> the previous one had stretched enough so that the new chain skipped. I
    > >> put on a new cassette. Should I also toss the chain I just put on and
    > >> put
    > >> on a new chain?

    > > Depends.
    > > The 150 miles you have on it makes it still new so it is an issue of
    > > cmpatability with the cassette you just installed.

    > I didn't think of that (went from Shimano to SRAM cassette, although I
    > have an SRAM chain).

    Sadly even within a brand there can be a lack of compatibility. I just
    switched from one Campy 8 cassette to another and had to replace the
    Campy chain.

    You may fare better. Luckily the chain is not a major $ issue.
    Good luck,
    Gary