new cassette skips- but only when in small ring????

tblairhug

Feb 13, 2010
Here's another one I haven't figured out.

I have 2 sets of wheels, clincher & tubular... with a new chain.

I set them both up with new cassettes-- the clincher with campy 11 speed- the tubies with miche 11 speed ( less expensive- but ok, from total cycling, in the UK)...

the campy cassette runs great- of course

the miche 11 speed skips- but only when I'm on the small chainring ( a 34)

what's going on here?

any ideas????

Disclaimer: I'm far from a from a skilled wrench but I have often been called a massive tool.

Unless cogs/teeth on the Miche cassette are bent or clogged up somehow the only thing I can think of is a difference of spacing between cogs in the two cassettes or the entire cassette on the tubular being further away or closer to the hub than it is on the clincher/Campy wheel.

Are the cassettes significantly different sizes/ranges of teeth?

It's pretty common to have to adjust the RD alignment (using the barrel adjuster on the RD) when switching between wheels. I'd start there.

tblairhug said:
the miche 11 speed skips- but only when I'm on the small chainring ( a 34)

what's going on here?

any ideas????
Is the chain skipping on ALL of the cogs, or only the smallest cog?

Is the smallest cog an 11t?

Did you change your chain as well-campy or other??? Usually its best to change a cassette with a chain as a stretched chain can wreck a new cassette in no time..........:eek:

I'd start there..........

You mean the small chainring (34t), not small rear cog (11t), right? Skipping is usually a sign of worn components or components with disparate levels of wear. Is the chain skipping *over* the teeth or trying to shift off to one side?