new cassette slightly loose

mikek2

Jan 8, 2004
I just put a new set of cogs on my bike and when I tighten the lock ring the gears are slightly loose. I checked a couple of my friends bikes and it seems that they all wiggle just a bit. Is this the way it is supposed to be or is something wronge?

Originally posted by mikek2
I just put a new set of cogs on my bike and when I tighten the lock ring the gears are slightly loose. I checked a couple of my friends bikes and it seems that they all wiggle just a bit. Is this the way it is supposed to be or is something wronge?

If you installed everything correctly, coated the threads with grease or anti-sieze, torqued it correctly; there should be no play.
You can get a 1 mm spacer to make up for some tolerance differences.
Check the Park Tool web site "Removing and Installing Rear Cogs"
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

Originally posted by mikek2
The cogs should be tight,but the hub it's self can have excess play in it.On some shimano cassettes,there is a thin notched spacer that should be between the first and second smallest cogs.