New Cateye Astrale 8 mounting problem

Doug

Guest
Hey all,

In testing the new Astrale 8, I discovered a possible manufacturing error. While riding along and
punching buttons, the Astrale flew off my handlebar mount. I slipped it back in thinking I hadn't
seated it fully, only to have it fly off again when underway. I heard clicks both times and assumed
it was seated, without giving it thought.

Examination revealed the catch doesn't catch. A bit of plastic need be shaved from the mount to
allow the headunit to slide in further and engage the catch.

Check yours before your headunit flies off too. The fix is self evident.

Doug

Hey Doug,

I have the same unit myself and have not noticed that problem. When removing the unit and then
re-installing, I make sure to listen for the click before I ride on. It is easy though to slide the
unit in so that one side catches the rail and the other doesn't. I now watch for this and hopefully
will continue to have problem-free use.

BTW, the unit is very clean looking and the cadence feature has helped me huge. Make sure to hear
that click!

Thanks for the heads-up, Joel "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> In testing the new Astrale 8, I discovered a possible manufacturing error. While riding along and
> punching buttons, the Astrale flew off my handlebar mount. I slipped it back in thinking I hadn't
> seated it fully, only to have it fly off again when underway. I heard clicks both times and
> assumed it was seated, without giving it thought.
>
> Examination revealed the catch doesn't catch. A bit of plastic need be shaved from the mount to
> allow the headunit to slide in further and engage the catch.
>
> Check yours before your headunit flies off too. The fix is self evident.
>
> Doug

>I have the same unit myself and have not noticed that problem. When removing

Interesting. Good to know mine is an aberration then.

>BTW, the unit is very clean looking

Isn't it though? The old Astrale is so drab. I'm sorry I'm swayed by slick looks, but hey.

My only misgiving about the new design is the shiny silver lower section. I've gotten some nasty sun
reflections off it. I may color it black somehow.

Doug

Hi Doug,

A few weeks ago my brand new Astrale 8 suffered similiarly, only without a happy ending .... it fell off somewhere along a half mile section of pretty rough, sea-side path and despite searching was lost. So I'd warn others to be wary, especially if cycling on rough stuff.

I was really miffed, I'd fitted it only that morning and cycled about 15 miles !! 30 quid, wasted.

As it was new I was being careful and very positively "clicking" it in and out. I had done so a few times that day but still it didn't seem good enough. At least I feel a bit better that it wasn't just my stupidy.

Happy cycling !

"OldClaud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Doug,
>
> A few weeks ago my brand new Astrale 8 suffered similiarly, only without a happy ending .... it
> fell off somewhere along a half mile section of pretty rough, sea-side path and despite searching
> was lost. So I'd warn others to be wary, especially if cycling on rough stuff.
>
> I was really miffed, I'd fitted it only that morning and cycled about 15 miles !! 30 quid, wasted.
>
> As it was new I was being careful and very positively "clicking" it in and out. I had done so a
> few times that day but still it didn't seem good enough. At least I feel a bit better that it
> wasn't just my stupidy.
>
> Happy cycling !

I have had the same problem with the Cateye Mity 8 ! It seems to click into position well enough
but can easily be knocked out, as I discovered on a ride last week.

Graham