New Cateye Astrale 8 mounting problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, May 15, 2003.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Hey all,

    In testing the new Astrale 8, I discovered a possible manufacturing error. While riding along and
    punching buttons, the Astrale flew off my handlebar mount. I slipped it back in thinking I hadn't
    seated it fully, only to have it fly off again when underway. I heard clicks both times and assumed
    it was seated, without giving it thought.

    Examination revealed the catch doesn't catch. A bit of plastic need be shaved from the mount to
    allow the headunit to slide in further and engage the catch.

    Check yours before your headunit flies off too. The fix is self evident.

    Doug

    Tags:

  2. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Hey Doug,

    I have the same unit myself and have not noticed that problem. When removing the unit and then
    re-installing, I make sure to listen for the click before I ride on. It is easy though to slide the
    unit in so that one side catches the rail and the other doesn't. I now watch for this and hopefully
    will continue to have problem-free use.

    BTW, the unit is very clean looking and the cadence feature has helped me huge. Make sure to hear
    that click!

    Thanks for the heads-up, Joel "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > In testing the new Astrale 8, I discovered a possible manufacturing error. While riding along and
    > punching buttons, the Astrale flew off my handlebar mount. I slipped it back in thinking I hadn't
    > seated it fully, only to have it fly off again when underway. I heard clicks both times and
    > assumed it was seated, without giving it thought.
    >
    > Examination revealed the catch doesn't catch. A bit of plastic need be shaved from the mount to
    > allow the headunit to slide in further and engage the catch.
    >
    > Check yours before your headunit flies off too. The fix is self evident.
    >
    > Doug

  3. Doug

    Doug Guest

    >I have the same unit myself and have not noticed that problem. When removing

    Interesting. Good to know mine is an aberration then.

    >BTW, the unit is very clean looking

    Isn't it though? The old Astrale is so drab. I'm sorry I'm swayed by slick looks, but hey.

    My only misgiving about the new design is the shiny silver lower section. I've gotten some nasty sun
    reflections off it. I may color it black somehow.

    Doug

  4. OldClaud

    OldClaud New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Hi Doug,

    A few weeks ago my brand new Astrale 8 suffered similiarly, only without a happy ending .... it fell off somewhere along a half mile section of pretty rough, sea-side path and despite searching was lost. So I'd warn others to be wary, especially if cycling on rough stuff.

    I was really miffed, I'd fitted it only that morning and cycled about 15 miles !! 30 quid, wasted.

    As it was new I was being careful and very positively "clicking" it in and out. I had done so a few times that day but still it didn't seem good enough. At least I feel a bit better that it wasn't just my stupidy.

    Happy cycling !

  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "OldClaud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > A few weeks ago my brand new Astrale 8 suffered similiarly, only without a happy ending .... it
    > fell off somewhere along a half mile section of pretty rough, sea-side path and despite searching
    > was lost. So I'd warn others to be wary, especially if cycling on rough stuff.
    >
    > I was really miffed, I'd fitted it only that morning and cycled about 15 miles !! 30 quid, wasted.
    >
    > As it was new I was being careful and very positively "clicking" it in and out. I had done so a
    > few times that day but still it didn't seem good enough. At least I feel a bit better that it
    > wasn't just my stupidy.
    >
    > Happy cycling !

    I have had the same problem with the Cateye Mity 8 ! It seems to click into position well enough
    but can easily be knocked out, as I discovered on a ride last week.

    Graham