New Chain Feedback

olderider

Feb 23, 2015
It's time for a new chain and looking for opinions about what chain to get...
I have campy centaur group,phil wood 10spd r hub,parts are about 12/13 yrs old
only about 2/3 yrs ride time,haven't really ridden since '05...
I don't know if chains have changed much so any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

FWIW. Without knowing if your chain actually needs to be replaced (you should measure it to see if has stretched, or not ... you can check Sheldon Brown's website or YouTube or ___ ?___ to see how to measure your chain), I have found that you can use a 9-speed SHIMANO chain with drivetrain which has a 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette ...

Of course, others may disagree.

Reactions: steve
Campy Chorus for your 10-speed Campy rig.

Any idea on how many miles are on your cassette? My hunch is that a new chain will skip and slip on your well worn (guessing here) cassette teeth.

Wiggle, Chain Reaction and Planet Cyclery and Merlin Cycles websites would be where I would start shopping. Some of the web resellers offer a package deal that bundles the chain and the cassette into one more discounted package. Shop carefully though because with sale prices, coupon codes and such it can still be less expensive to buy the two individual items.

My experience with Campy Chorus 10-speed and nearly perfect lubrication and cleaning: Chains are due for replacement in the 1500-2000 mile range and cassettes generally last through three or four chains before at least two or three gears are worn to the point of hold meshing reliably with a new chain.

You WILL need a good 10-speed chain tool and a peening tool install the chain. Campy gets around $150-$200 for their tool That includes the peening function. Park Tool gets about $50 for their CT-11 Campy chain peening tool in addition to the cost of a $35-$40 chain tool. Any decent bike shop will install your chain for $10-$20.

Reactions: steve
thanks for the info,I forgot about the cassette wear,looks like I will have to save a few more pennies...

The last time I had a chain break, I went down to Tractor Supply and got the nearest closest chain, and it fit almost perfect. Of course, it was for my gear for my gas powered assist kit, and I had to use a file on the gears to widen the space a bit, but it was a perfect fit when I got done, and it hasn't broken since, except for coming loose the last time I greased it up, because there was a piece of grit behind the link pin clip.