New chain... Need to lube?

Artoi

Guest
Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
comment on this. Anyone know?
--

On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> comment on this. Anyone know?

Here's the official comment:

"New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
fact.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
lubricant. Don't do this!"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

Ben C wrote:
> On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
>> out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
>> oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
>> comment on this. Anyone know?

> Here's the official comment:

> "Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> lubricant. Don't do this!"
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

you should wipe off the excess though, right?
\\paul

Ben C wrote:
> On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> > out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> > oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> > comment on this. Anyone know?

> Here's the official comment:
>
> "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
>
> This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> fact.
>
> Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> lubricant. Don't do this!"

What makes it 'official'?

Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
'accurate' to all people. My experience is that the goop put on at the
factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
like Prolink to ALL new chains.

My 'official' statement on chains.

Artoi wrote:

> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> out of its plastic bag?

For what it's worth: I wipe off every new chain with a piece of cloth till
it feels smooth and then I put Rohloff oil on the inside of the chain the
night before I use it. Then I wipe off any excess oil, ride the bike, wipe
it clean again when I'm back. A piece of jeans works well.

Gr, Derk

Paul Hobson wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
> > On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> >> out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> >> oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> >> comment on this. Anyone know?

> > Here's the official comment:

> > "Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> >
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

> you should wipe off the excess though, right?

That's what I do, just wipe the outside dry with a petroleum solvent
like mineral spirits.

I don't know if it's the best lube in the world or whatever, but it's
already there and lasts a good couple months till it gets noisy.

After that, I do White Lightning, or motor oil, depending on the lunar
cycle. As long as it's quiet, and dry to the touch on the outside, it
could be badger juice for all I care.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
> > On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> > > out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> > > oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> > > comment on this. Anyone know?

> > Here's the official comment:
> >
> > "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> > been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> > been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
> >
> > This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> > fact.
> >
> > Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> >

> What makes it 'official'?
>
> Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> 'accurate' to all people.

Amen to that! Perhaps it should be re-named "Frequently Given Answers"
(?).

> My experience is that the goop put on at the
> factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
> thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
> be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
> like Prolink to ALL new chains.
>
> My 'official' statement on chains.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ben C wrote:
> > On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> > > out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> > > oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> > > comment on this. Anyone know?

> > Here's the official comment:
> >
> > "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> > been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> > been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
> >
> > This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> > fact.
> >
> > Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> >

> What makes it 'official'?
>
> Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> 'accurate' to all people. My experience is that the goop put on at the
> factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
> thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
> be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
> like Prolink to ALL new chains.
>
> My 'official' statement on chains.

It really is a superb lubricant, and is best left in
the inner workings of the chain. A while back someone
gave us the link to the site of the lubricant's
manufacturer, so I am not repeating received wisdom.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Ben C wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's the official comment:
> > >
> > > "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> > > been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> > > been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
> > >
> > > This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> > > fact.
> > >
> > > Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> > >

> > What makes it 'official'?
> >
> > Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> > 'accurate' to all people.

> Amen to that! Perhaps it should be re-named "Frequently Given Answers"

As a matter of fact, the phrase that gave rise to the acronym is
`Frequently Answered Questions.'

--
Michael Press

You could look it up.
-- Casey Stengel

Ben C? writes:

>> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campagnolo chain
>> straight out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest
>> that the thick oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I
>> didn't see any official comment on this.

> Here's the official comment:

# New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which
# has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant,
# and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the
# chain.

# This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after
# the fact.

# Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this
# superior lubricant. Don't do this!

from:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#factory

I'd like to add to that:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Jobst Brandt

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:42:06 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> may have
said:

>Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
>out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
>oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
>comment on this. Anyone know?

Campy sez: No.

They made the chain, and they selected the lube...but if the lube has
characteristics that are at odds with what you need in some respect,
there's no law saying that you have to leave the Campy-installed lube
on the chain. Some folks will strip it immediately, and apply a
different lube that may or may not work as well, for a variety of
reasons. It's up to you to determine if you agree with their
rationale for doing so, and if their argument makes a point that is
important to you. It's perfectly possible to have someone present a
completely persuasive case for why they do something a certain way,
and have that argument be entirely irrelevant to the situation of the
person receiving the information. The important thing is to do what
works *for you*, regardless of how anyone else does it.

Artoi wrote:
> Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> comment on this. Anyone know?
> --

My opinion is if it feels like pine tar, then remove it and use a
proper lubricant.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was way too sticky to be just
left on. Peter, you'll have to speak to Lennard and put him straight on
this. His velonews advice was to just lube the chain (interestingly
with the same ProLink) without removing the guky factory 'lube'. Didn't
make sense to me but hey, he's the one with the repair handbook...

> What makes it 'official'?
>
> Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> 'accurate' to all people. My experience is that the goop put on at the
> factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
> thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
> be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
> like Prolink to ALL new chains.
>
> My 'official' statement on chains.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
> > On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> > > out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> > > oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> > > comment on this. Anyone know?

> > Here's the official comment:
> >
> > "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> > been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> > been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
> >
> > This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> > fact.
> >
> > Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> >

> What makes it 'official'?
>
> Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> 'accurate' to all people. My experience is that the goop put on at the
> factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
> thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
> be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
> like Prolink to ALL new chains.

So why not just wipe it off of all exposed surfaces, and repeat after a
few rides when some leaches out from the insides?

DL

In article <[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ben C wrote:
> > On 2007-01-11, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Just a quick question. Do you need to lube a new Campag chain straight
> > > out of its plastic bag? I vaguely recall people suggest that the thick
> > > oil its covered with is ideal and should kept. I didn't see any official
> > > comment on this. Anyone know?

> > Here's the official comment:
> >
> > "New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has
> > been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has
> > been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
> >
> > This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the
> > fact.
> >
> > Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior
> > lubricant. Don't do this!"
> >

> What makes it 'official'?
>
> Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> 'accurate' to all people. My experience is that the goop put on at the
> factory is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lube. Greasy,
> thick and attracts dirt right now. Ride a few times and your chain will
> be black from crud...so we clean it off and add a genuine chainlube,
> like Prolink to ALL new chains.
>
> My 'official' statement on chains.

Thanks all for your opposing points of view.

Too bad that the chain is already on the bike, it'll be too much trouble
to try to dissolve it now. So will just ride on and clean/lube as
required. Will consider again at the next change.

> Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was way too sticky to be just
> left on.

The idea is not to leave it "on" but to leave it *in*. Clean the outside
then stickiness won't be a big problem. It may not be quite as clean as the
very cleanest lubes, as some of the lube oozes out, but it's probably
lubricating better.

> Peter, you'll have to speak to Lennard and put him straight
> on this. His velonews advice was to just lube the chain (interestingly
> with the same ProLink) without removing the guky factory 'lube'.
> Didn't make sense to me but hey, he's the one with the repair
> handbook...

That is what ProLink advise as well (after removing excess lube from outside
of chain first).

~PB

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> > > What makes it 'official'?
> > >
> > > Like many FAQs(frequently asked 'QUESTIONS'), not all answers are
> > > 'accurate' to all people.

> > Amen to that! Perhaps it should be re-named "Frequently Given Answers"

> As a matter of fact, the phrase that gave rise to the acronym is
> `Frequently Answered Questions.'

That's hardly the same thing. And, IIRC, many seem to think FAQ =

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Ozark Bicycle"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Amen to that! Perhaps it should be re-named "Frequently Given Answers"

> > As a matter of fact, the phrase that gave rise to the acronym is
> > `Frequently Answered Questions.'

> That's hardly the same thing. And, IIRC, many seem to think FAQ =
> Frequently *Asked* Questions.

I know what people think about it. Parse the sentence
again. I mean exactly what it says, and think that is
pertinent to your proposed renaming.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Michael Press wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > As a matter of fact, the phrase that gave rise to the acronym is
> > > `Frequently Answered Questions.'

> > That's hardly the same thing. And, IIRC, many seem to think FAQ =
> > Frequently *Asked* Questions.

> I know what people think about it. Parse the sentence
> again. I mean exactly what it says, and think that is
> pertinent to your proposed renaming.

"Frequently Answered Questions" is quite different from "Frequently
Given Answers". Think about it.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Ozark Bicycle"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That's hardly the same thing. And, IIRC, many seem to think FAQ =
> > > Frequently *Asked* Questions.

> > I know what people think about it. Parse the sentence
> > again. I mean exactly what it says, and think that is
> > pertinent to your proposed renaming.

> "Frequently Answered Questions" is quite different from "Frequently
> Given Answers". Think about it.

Is the difference that the former is an offline
document that someone new to the group can browse to
research a topic that interests him before taking his
topic to the online group, while the latter is a
criticism of what you find in the rec.bicycles.* FAQ?

--
Michael Press