New Chain + Old Cassette = Skipping Chain???

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I just put a new chain on a drive train with a used cassette. The
combination is Shimano XTR 9-speed with an 11-34 cassette on a touring
road bike.

Since doing this I have noticed that the chain occasionally skips when
in the smallest 3 cogs. There doesn't seem to be any consistency about
when the skipping occurs. It seems to occur about as often while
standing and putting considerable force on the chain as when sitting
and putting minimal force on the chain.

If the cassette was worn I would expect it to skip more while standing
and not at all while seated. Is this logic correct? Anyody know what
is happening here?

On the same vein is there a good way to measure the wear on the
smaller cogs of a cassette? How do you know when it is time to replace
a cassette?

Thanks,

Steve

Per Steve Sr.:
>Since doing this I have noticed that the chain occasionally skips when
>in the smallest 3 cogs. There doesn't seem to be any consistency about
>when the skipping occurs.

I've had this and fixed it by fooling around with the chain wrap adjustment on
the jockey wheel.
--
PeteCresswell

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just put a new chain on a drive train with a used cassette. The
> combination is Shimano XTR 9-speed with an 11-34 cassette on a touring
> road bike.
>
> Since doing this I have noticed that the chain occasionally skips when
> in the smallest 3 cogs. There doesn't seem to be any consistency about
> when the skipping occurs. It seems to occur about as often while
> standing and putting considerable force on the chain as when sitting
> and putting minimal force on the chain.
>
> If the cassette was worn I would expect it to skip more while standing
> and not at all while seated. Is this logic correct? Anyody know what
> is happening here?

Stiff link perhaps? (Or funky quick link?)

> On the same vein is there a good way to measure the wear on the
> smaller cogs of a cassette? How do you know when it is time to replace
> a cassette?

My rule has always been when it skips with a new chain -- although only
experience with that has been on mountain bikes...and it's the BIGGER
(grannier?) cogs that wear out on me!

Bill "mtb pie plate" S.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:39:35 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On the same vein is there a good way to measure the wear on the
>smaller cogs of a cassette? How do you know when it is time to replace
>a cassette?

When they skip with a new chain. If you are skipping in all
chainrings, than it's likely the cassette. If you are skipping on the
2nd chainring, it could be the chainring.

wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just put a new chain on a drive train with a used cassette. The
>combination is Shimano XTR 9-speed with an 11-34 cassette on a touring
>road bike.
>
>Since doing this I have noticed that the chain occasionally skips when
>in the smallest 3 cogs. There doesn't seem to be any consistency about
>when the skipping occurs. It seems to occur about as often while
>standing and putting considerable force on the chain as when sitting
>and putting minimal force on the chain.
>
>If the cassette was worn I would expect it to skip more while standing
>and not at all while seated. Is this logic correct? Anyody know what
>is happening here?
>
>On the same vein is there a good way to measure the wear on the
>smaller cogs of a cassette? How do you know when it is time to replace
>a cassette?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Here is another thought. The weather was cold (at least for NC!) in
the low 40s. The chain is new and tight. But the kicker is that the
chain is lubed with White Lightning which tends to get stiff when
cold.

Any thoughts?

Steve