New Chain, Old Chainring

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dimitris, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Dimitris

    Dimitris Guest

    Hello everybody,

    Last week, after ~4000 miles, I replaced the stock chain with a SRAM PC-69 chain with the powerlink.
    Everything seems fine, except when I pedal very hard while the chain is in the middle chainring that
    I use ~95% of the time. Then, I get a lot of grinding and chain skipping noise. It does not happen
    with the other two chainrings and shifting from and to the middle chainring works fine. The middle
    chainring has some wear, but how much is too much? Will the chain adapt to the chainring? 4000 miles
    seems too short in order to replace the chairings. By the way my drivetrain is Shimano XT 9sp.

    Thank you in advance

    Dimitris

    P.S. Do you by any chance know if is it is possible to remove the middle chainring of an XT
    (44-32-22) 4-arm crankset without removing the crankset. I tried a couple of times but I was
    not able to slip it off.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:27:23 -0500, Dimitris wrote:

    > Last week, after ~4000 miles, I replaced the stock chain with a SRAM PC-69 chain with the
    > powerlink. Everything seems fine, except when I pedal very hard while the chain is in the middle
    > chainring that I use ~95% of the time. Then, I get a lot of grinding and chain skipping noise. It
    > does not happen with the other two chainrings and shifting from and to the middle chainring works
    > fine. The middle chainring has some wear, but how much is too much?

    This much is too much. Replace the chainring.

    Will the chain adapt to the
    > chainring? 4000 miles seems too short in order to replace the chairings. By the way my drivetrain
    > is Shimano XT 9sp.

    But on the other hand 4000 miles is too long to not replace a chain. Once the chain gets worn, it
    rapidly wears both cassette and chainring. Especially with small chainrings -- and that being the
    one you use all the time, it can wear fairly rapidly.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  3. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Dimitris wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > Last week, after ~4000 miles, I replaced the stock chain with a SRAM PC-69 chain with the
    > powerlink. Everything seems fine, except when I pedal very hard while the chain is in the middle
    > chainring that I use ~95% of the time. Then, I get a lot of grinding and chain skipping noise. It
    > does not happen with the other two chainrings and shifting from and to the middle chainring works
    > fine. The middle chainring has some wear, but how much is too much? Will the chain adapt to the
    > chainring? 4000 miles seems too short in order to replace the chairings. By the way my drivetrain
    > is Shimano XT 9sp.

    Yes, the chain can break in to the chainring and the skipping can stop -- IF the skipping is very
    minor. I just went through a similar thing with my latest chain replacement -- except is was the 3rd
    biggest cassette gear; and, it only skipped when I really whaled on the drive chain. YMMV.

    > P.S. Do you by any chance know if is it is possible to remove the middle chainring of an XT
    > (44-32-22) 4-arm crankset without removing the crankset. I tried a couple of times but I was
    > not able to slip it off.

    You have to remove the crank to replace the middle chainring. I believe that you can do the big one
    without removing it (you could on the 5-arm compact -- what I run).

    David