New chain problem

mdgeorge

May 23, 2013
I've just replaced a chain with a one that has exactly the same number of links as the original. However when I turn pedals the chain slightly misses one of the teeth on the lower derailer cog every third revolution of the pedals. Any suggests why this may be occurring or solutions.

Thanks

I take it you're talking about skipping on the derailleur pulleys not an actual cassette cog?

I'd suspect that you waited too long to replace your worn out chain and it had stretched a bit as they do when the rollers and pins wear from use. Run a stretched chain for too long and the most used cassette cogs will also wear to match the elongated chain and then when you put a new chain on there can be mismatch problems. The derailleur pulleys are usually much softer plastic and will wear even more quickly so if you did run your old chain past the point where it had elongated it's likely you wore one or both derailleur pulleys in such a way that it doesn't cleanly mesh with the new chain.

If so, I'd replace the derailleur pulleys.

It could be something else but based on your description that would be my best guess.

-Dave

If not using one of the quick release/install chain links (master link) I'm guessing it's happening where the chain was joined. If so it's probably a stiff link and can be worked back and forth a bit between thumb and forefinger against the rivet, using both hands, for a few seconds to loosen a bit.

If that's not it I'm not sure.

My thoughts are that it would happen more often than every third crank, if it were a bad pulley tooth. Sounds more like a bad/stiff link, and it skips when that particular link hits the pulley.

But I'm no mechanic. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by mpre53 .

My thoughts are that it would happen more often than every third crank, if it were a bad pulley tooth. Sounds more like a bad/stiff link, and it skips when that particular link hits the pulley.

But I'm no mechanic. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Yeah you guys are likely right, that matches up better with the every three crank revolutions thing.

-Dave

Thanks for replies. Issue now sorted as the connecting pin when reconnecting the chain together was sticking out ever so slightly and was causing a stiff link

Originally Posted by mdgeorge .

Thanks for replies. Issue now sorted as the connecting pin when reconnecting the chain together was sticking out ever so slightly and was causing a stiff link
Good job tracking that down. You're lucky you didn't snap the chain during a hard acceleration with a connecting pin not completely driven flush.