new chain = skipping?

sfcommuter

Mar 4, 2004
My chain was worn so I put on a new one and all of a sudden the chain skips under load. The cogs seem to be ok. Has anyone experienced this before?

Originally posted by sfcommuter
My chain was worn so I put on a new one and all of a sudden the chain skips under load. The cogs seem to be ok. Has anyone experienced this before?

"A new chain on a worn sprocket. Most of the driving is happening on the left side, where the chain first engages the sprocket. Due to the mismatch in pitch, the rollers in the part of the chain that is about to leave the sprocket is doing very little to push their teeth forward, instead, they are being forced upward by the slope of the teeth."
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

or check for a stiff link

Anytime you replace a part of the drivetrain you will have to adjust the shifting a little but if that doesn't work then you wwill need to track down any other worn parts.

In this case the cassette is the obvious candidate for inspection, it may not look worn but if you compare it to a new one you may see the difference.

Other places to check are the jockey wheels and also the chain for any stiff links

Thanks for the replies. Although the cogs didn't appear to be worn, I put on a new cassette and sure enough that was the problem! I had about 2500 miles on the old cassette (SRAM 7.0),. Not sure if that is expected mileage for a cassette with normal riding but everything works perfectly now.

i put a new chain on and my chain was slipping,i thought it was the quicklink thing u join it with so i renmoved that and joined the chain using a chain tool and it hasnt stopped.

so i'll need to buy a new cassette?

A worn cassette requires a considerable amount of mileage before it really needs replacing. If your bike doesn't have at least a few thousand miles chances are its not worn. You're derrailleur is just not adjusted properly. Changing cassettes, wheels or chains can cause this. Just play with the barrel adjusters at the derraelleur or shifters until it stops skipping. Thats what they are there for.

well i dont think it is skipping then,ive already messed around with the screws goes 1-7th perfectly and stays in them for ages before jumping.