New chainring installation - HELP! (SOLVED)

srixon

Mar 21, 2011
Hi - I'm doing my best to be my own wrench here but am still learning and am in need of some help!

My middle chainring was worn (result of using the bike on a trainer over the winter with a worn chain, primarily in that chainring) so I ordered a new ring (same tooth count and manufacturer). I've taken the crankset off and replaced the middle ring, but now there doesn't seem to be enough space between the chainrings for the chain to sit.

Now for the REALLY strange part. I took the crankset apart and put the old (worn) chainring back on, and now that setup seems to have the same problem. The chain sits on the largest ring fine, but as soon as I shift to a higher gear, the chain just falls off the rings completely.

I'm almost positive that I put the crankset back together correctly, but I can't seem to get this fixed (and I've probably wasted 4 hours or more trying to!).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening here? Any help is VERY appreciated!

Nevermind - figured out my stupid (very stupid) mistake. I was placing the outer chainring on the inside of the crank arm and the middle chainring right up against it, instead of having the outer ring on the outside of the arm and the middle ring on the inside of the arm.

A few hours wasted, but at least I've got it figured out now!

Rookie mistake. We all have done that or something similar. It can get frustrating, but bikes are still very simple machines and very easy and straight forward to repair once you get some experience. I salute you for being your own wrench and for keeping at it until you got it fixed.

Sometimes it is helpful to snap a photo of what you are going to take apart before you start the disassembly. Sometimes it helps you find out where that leftover screw goes or how the whole dang thing goes together if you get sidetracked for a dy or two.