new chainset for my trek 1.2 compact

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ryujin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ryujin

ryujin New Member

Hi, after a series of events (not a crash!) one of my cranks arms have gotten bent....

Rather than replacing the crank arms (which i'm told will cost me ~£30) i think it'll be better if i jsut get a shimano tiagra chainset:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/tiagra-4500-chainset-triple-ec008094

(but I can get it for £43, thanksto price match, i would link the other place but they don't have the correct size!)

Question is, would i be required to change anything else to upgrade to a triple? i mean i don't really NEED triple, but i'd rather have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it!

I'd appreciate your selp as i'm very new to bikes! the only thing i can think of that i might need is a new bb..

oh and btw, my trek 1,2 is the 2010 model:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/12-compact-2010-road-bike-ec019678?query=trek%201.2

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

If you already have a compact, I can't see a triple giving much extra flexibility. With 10 speed gearing it is entirely possible to go with a wider range cassette (like a 28-12 or 30-12 ish) to achieve the same thing as and when you need to.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Upgrading to a triple would be expensive. Not only would you have the cost of the crankset but you would need a new left triple compatible shift lever, a new triple compatible bottom bracket, a new triple compatible front derailleur, and possibly a new triple compatible rear derailleur. Oh, and a new chain. It is a lot of work and expense for something that you don't really NEED. You would be better staying with your compact crankset and getting a new cassette with a lower gear like tafi suggested. Just be sure that you don't get a cassette with a low gear that is larger than what your rear derailleur will handle.

4. ryujin

ryujin New Member

5. Motobecane

Motobecane New Member

you had a compact, now you have a std double, depending on how strong of a rider you are, you will probably be fine. the compact double gives roughly the same range of gears as a triple would because you usually mate a compact double to a larger casette like an 11/28 or 11/32 while many people who ride a std double do so with an 11/25 casette in the back which really doesn't provide a very low gear for hill climbing. I'm 6'3" 240 so a compact double or a triple is pretty much std equipment for me.