New christmas gift-1977 masi gc

kopride

May 17, 2006
Yes, I finally got the bike I lusted after when I first saw Breaking Away and then rode behind the "cool guys" who had fancy Italian-style bikes, and I had a 3.0 Cannondale thrown together with bargain parts and close outs. My wife got it for me after a riding buddy alerted her to my latest N + 1 wish.

Original Campy record, gold handlebar tape. All I need is for a group of Italian racers to shove a pump in my spokes and send me flying. It does seem a touch too big. Much bigger than I remember a similar sized 56 c Cannondale being. I'm planning to keep it downashore, as we say on the East Coast where the down tube shifters and lack of any real granny gear will only be a minor inconvenience.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-197...921216?hash=item2ef6408d40:g:0GQAAOSwnbZYD8HG

Nice! Congratulations!

The 105 pedals got to go. That should only be ridden with a pair of Campy Superleggera black alloy cage road pedals.
The seatpost doesn't 'look' right in the pics...probably just a bad pic, but should have a Campy 27.2 Super Record, held in place with a Campy Binder Bolt.

The group is, obviously, Super Record. The rear derailleur will be dated on the back of the inside parallelogram plate.

Be careful riding those crank arms. They were known to break without warning at the vanity groove. I snapped one and just missed the oncoming car as I shot out of control across the left lane and into a guy's front yard. Later model SR arms are available that do not have the vanity grooves. If you are planning on riding this bike I would recommend buying them.

Nice! Congratulations!

The 105 pedals got to go. That should only be ridden with a pair of Campy Superleggera black alloy cage road pedals.
The seatpost doesn't 'look' right in the pics...probably just a bad pic, but should have a Campy 27.2 Super Record, held in place with a Campy Binder Bolt.

The group is, obviously, Super Record. The rear derailleur will be dated on the back of the inside parallelogram plate.

Be careful riding those crank arms. They were known to break without warning at the vanity groove. I snapped one and just missed the oncoming car as I shot out of control across the left lane and into a guy's front yard. Later model SR arms are available that do not have the vanity grooves. If you are planning on riding this bike I would recommend buying them.

The pedals are sacrilege. I am going to put Superleggera cage on as soon as I get the right shoes for charity or retrogrouch rides. I'm riding this for real so I will have a second pair of speedplay for when I ride it on longer rides or workouts. My feet are tricky wide so I am going to have to figure out what old school work best.

The seat post and seat are an abortion. That too will be fixed.

The main issue is that it seems to be big for an alleged 56C frame and I've got a short inseam. I'm about 6 ft with a freakishly long torso. I wish I had a slightly smaller frame. Feels more like a 58. I'm going to have to play with fit. The eBay seller was nuts saying a 5'9'' rider could be on this bike unless the rider had at least a 34" inseam.

Thanks for the crank tip. I will definitely swap out the cranks to a NOS or well inspected SR. The bike is 40 y/o and I plan to ride it hard at least 30 times a year. If I can't get the fit right enough for a regular rider, I'm going full retro and turning into wall art and charity ride special with wool kit.

Shoes and cleats will be a bit of a challenge, but they are out there. Try The Yellow Jersey. Good people with lots of old stuff still available for sale and their prices are more than reasonable.

That bike and some good wool are elgible to ride L'Eroica in grand style!

Next...try and find yourself a Japanese Keirin bike!