New Coker

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by showard, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. showard

    showard Guest

    I've been meaning to get a Coker every since I rode Dan Wilson's
    (Tellurider) three years ago at the Idaho MUni weekend. That was the
    first and last time I've ridden a Coker. A couple weeks ago I ordered
    some parts and set out to make myself one.

    I've had good luck so far with a hub I've made for my MUni that uses KH
    splines with press-on aluminum flanges so I based my Coker design around
    a widened version of this hub - but with a twist: I've had an idea to
    add a disc brake to this hub so that's what I did.

    Today I'm almost finished with the unicycle and it's turned out pretty
    well I think. I'd post some pictures of it but the gallery thing
    doesn't seem to be working right now. Instead I'll attach a "teaser"
    photo to this post. I've actually mounted the thing a few times and
    riden a couple pedal strokes in my yard ... couldn't do more than that
    since it was already dark when I got it all together this evening.

    The best part of this whole Coker project it that I'm travelling to
    Seattle at the end of the week specifically to ride my new creation on
    the Iron Horse trail with some of the Seattle Coker riders. I can't
    wait!

    SH

    | Attachment filename: coker.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/230684|

    showard - ------
    showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

  2. harper

    harper Guest

    You'd better learn to mount in the dark. That tunnel is pitch black on
    the trail. I would just practice learning to mount blindfolded. In fact,
    it would be a good idea to just practice riding blindfolded all the
    time.

    I'm guessing we'll have eight Coker riders and one to three
    bicyclists/runners on the 28th.

    Steffi looks sharp with her ride, too. What are the saddle details on
    that one? Is it a homemade job?

    --
    harper - Fountainhead

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "showard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been meaning to get a Coker every since I rode Dan Wilson's
    > (Tellurider) three years ago at the Idaho MUni weekend. That was the
    > first and last time I've ridden a Coker. A couple weeks ago I ordered
    > some parts and set out to make myself one.

    Looks good!

    Is the frame made from stainless steel? Have you used stock bearing
    holders or made your own? I am sketching on a 28/29" frame made from
    30x10 mm tubing so any detailed photos of your work would be appreciated.

  4. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Dude, you got skills.:D The kind of skills, that most of us would love
    to posess. Not to mention some wicked tools. Looks great. If I end up
    riding my Coker as much as I anticipate, I might upgrade in the future.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  5. showard

    showard Guest

    I rode my new Coker for the first time yesterday evening. I drove to an
    area in the hills that I've ridden several times on my 29'er. It's a
    gravel road that, except for the first mile, is relatively flat. I
    drove past the initial climb and started at the top. I had quite a bit
    of trouble mounting the thing but eventually I got it together and took
    off down the road.

    After about a mile it started to rain so I stopped and put on my rain
    shell. I was considering just heading back to the truck but the rain
    stopped right away so I continued. At about 3 miles the rain started
    again - only this time the heavens opened up and I got completely
    soaked. The ride back was kind of dicey since the road was muddy and
    water was running everywhere. Not the best conditions for a newbie
    Coker rider.

    Back at the truck the rain had stopped. The Coker was filthy and I had
    a serious stripe up my back from the tire throwning muddy water. I had
    only travelled 6 miles.

    I decided to try riding some more but on a paved bike path. The rain
    had stopped by the time I drove out of the hills so I put in another 7
    miles on the bike path for a total of 13 miles for the evening. Some
    fun!

    I've taken a few pictures of the 'SH_Coker'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/sh_coker) in varous stages of
    construction.

    SH

    --
    showard - ------
    showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

  6. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    showard wrote:
    > *I've taken a few pictures of the 'SH_Coker'
    > (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/sh_coker) in varous stages of
    > construction.*

    A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

    What a magnificent piece of work Steve. I'm glad we're about the same
    height, so when I start pestering you to let me try it this weekend, at
    least THAT won't be one of the excuses you'll have for saying "No".

    Nice to see the lamp mount also...you'll need it on Iron Horse, although
    if you have a helmet mount setup, you should bring that along. Having
    light go where you look is a pretty good thing.

    Tom

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  7. harper

    harper Guest

    Light is for sissies.

    --
    harper - Fountainhead

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

  8. zod

    zod Guest

    The Avid Mech Disc Brake is hot!!!!

    --
    zod - Southern Fried mUni

    Jun 20, 2003: "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme
    Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to
    choose..." -- John Kerry

    Jul 5, 2004: "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I
    believe life does begin at conception." -- John Kerry
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

  9. a question (fairly evident to experts but I' m not one ...):
    how did you manage to get the seat tilted upwards that way
    I saw lot of unis having this ... but no technical details

    references and pics welcomed
    comments on this practice?

    thanks

    bear

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  10. showard

    showard Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *
    > Nice to see the lamp mount also...you'll need it on Iron Horse,
    > although if you have a helmet mount setup, you should bring that
    > along. Having light go where you look is a pretty good thing.*

    Yes - I've heard that a helmet mount light is the way to go. The light
    I'm using is a home brew that I made several years ago for my bike. I
    was able to bend the mounting bracket around and clamp it to the Coker's
    seat post. Unfortunately that's all I could cobble up in time. I'm
    also bringing a small Mag-Lite just in case because I am a sissy and
    afraid of the dark!

    > -Orignally posted by wobbling bear-
    > *how did you manage to get the seat tilted upwards that way *

    For me, tilting the seat up like that makes all the difference in
    comfort. One way to get the seat to tilt is use a "rail adapter" with a
    bicycle seat post. Rail adapters are available from both unicycle.com
    and Bedford Unicycles for both KH and Miyata saddles. Another way is to
    stack washers between the seat and top plate of the seat post on the
    front two mounting screws. That will raise the front of the seat
    somewhat depending on how many washers you can stack up and still get
    the nut on. Another option is to buy a GB4 seat post that has the seat
    mounting plate welded on at more of an angle that a stock seat post. I
    think some people have just bent the mounting plate up on a stock seat
    post as well.

    SH

    --
    showard - ------
    showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

  11. jerryg

    jerryg Guest

    The Iron Horse Trail is wonderful. It's worth the trip. I'm going to
    have to do that again someday.

    But, it does get so dark (and) because of the turn, you can't see the
    light at the end of the tunnel. It's cool (literally and figuratively),
    but even with a light, it's hard to mount the uni. ...And that heaving
    breathing coming up behind you tends to increase paranoia, unless your
    riding blindfolded with ear plugs.

    My advice: Ride behind someone going the same speed and keep an eye on
    them. You'll see them bump up and down and be prepared for the holes and
    you'll know when they hit into the side and avoid it. Most holes are not
    large enough to fall completly inside.

    Oh, and don't touch the sides.

    Have you used the disc brake? A blindfold might make that easier too.

    Jer

    --
    jerryg
    jerryg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1274

  12. nathan

    nathan Guest

    Oh man Steve, that looks awesome! Why is the gallery down 90% of the
    time these days? I am dying to see your photos... I wish I could fly up
    and join all you guys for that ride but am too busy. Why don't you drive
    down to Portland for the 'Portland Juggling Festival'
    (http://www.portlandjuggers.com) on the weekend of Sept 24-26?

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker