New comer to the sport.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mr2turbo7, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    Ok I got a Torker 20" LX for xmas. with in 15 minutes I could ride
    about 30 yds in a strait line. and with in an hour i could ride the 50
    meters and gracefully dismount off the back. I can freemount about 30%
    of the time. I can hop for as long as you want me to with the seat in
    or out in front. and i can 180 unispin. But i really want to beable to
    freemount 100% of the time.

    troubles i am having is when I roll back mount my foot always slips off
    the pedal or It is extremely difficult to pedal forwards deu to crank
    position. I can only static mount about 10% of the time. can anyone
    give me some advice? somethings that i have already figured out that
    help me mount easier is not grabbing the seat, and not to puth much
    weight on my dominant foot.

    please help. any other tips are welcome aswell.

    Thanx Tommy

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  2. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Wow amazing progress!

    I'd say practice. You'll get it. Free mounting for me is all about
    initial placement and steadiness.

    For roll back mounts I try not to put the pedal that I am pushing on
    all the way down, maybe to 4oclock. Then the higher pedal is off center
    enough that I can get the uni rolling again.

    Good luck and keep it up!

    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  3. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

  4. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Okay, Not that I doubt you, but what posessed you to try a uni spin when
    you can't freemount yet? Holy smokes!! That's a pretty advanced skill
    (Like level 10 out of 10 levels).

    This man flies before he can crawl!

    --
    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  5. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    I use to pogo stick,a little bit. And the pogo spin carried over i
    guess.:confused: i dont know, i have not pogo'd in like 5 years, but
    I use to ride BMX, and flat land a little. Maybe that has something to
    do with it.:D

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  6. > troubles i am having is when I roll back mount my foot always slips off
    > the pedal or It is extremely difficult to pedal forwards deu to crank
    > position.

    Have you tried rolling back slightly further? I sometimes have to hook the
    topmost pedal back a couple of inches as I mount to get the cranks out of
    the vertical position. Then I can push down with the lower foot and I'm
    off...

    Also, re slipping off the pedal, have you thought about your footwear? On
    my plastic pedals, I find it helps my grip a lot to wear shoes with quite
    soft rubber soles (skate shoes, trainers, etc).

    Sounds like you're a natural, though, so I doubt it'll take too much
    practice to find something that works for you!

    Cheers,
    Mark

    > I can only static mount about 10% of the time. can anyone
    > give me some advice? somethings that i have already figured out that
    > help me mount easier is not grabbing the seat, and not to puth much
    > weight on my dominant foot.
    >
    > please help. any other tips are welcome aswell.
    >
    > Thanx Tommy

  7. podzol

    podzol Guest

  8. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    Yeah, that's incredible progress! and you live in tucson too...

    I think static mounts are easier to learn than the roll back mounts.
    think of it as a little hop forward onto the unicycle. It's mostly
    just practice to learn how to put the right amount of pressure on the
    pedal, so I recomend that you just try it every now and then until you
    get it.

    Great job so far!

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  9. dorfman

    dorfman Guest

    that is awsome....i thought i progressed fast...i mean holy french fries
    ..... a 180 unispin on the first day.....i am trying 2 learn that
    aswell as a buch of other stuff but ......i give you mad...mad
    props..........keep on trucking...(by trucking im mean unicycling)

    --
    dorfman

    i started unicycling on christmas 05
    on that day i accomplished
    forward unicycling 40ft
    freemounting 6 times succesfulling
    number of strange looks recieved whilst learning 34(i counted)
    dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

  10. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    Thank you guys very much for the comments I really did not think that i
    was progressing that fast but ok. I just busted my shin pretty good:p
    I think i will put my Primo meat tenderizers on from my S&M Holmes
    (dirt jumping bike) or maybe some DK platforms? maybe that will help
    out with the freemount problem. oh yeah i didn't learn the 180 spins
    till today. Yeah i would probably think i was progressing fast if i
    learned them on the first day!

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  11. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    whoooa, you're fast!! it took me like over a year to get as good as you
    are now. well, I guess I could just ride after a couple weeks...but it
    took me forever to get the unispin.
    nice job!

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  12. 0nly0newheel

    0nly0newheel Guest

    for me when i free mount or whatever i take the pedel that i mount with
    and bring it cloe to me alomost a half then when i mount it ususally
    keeps the uni in the same place. sorry if its confusing im not too good
    at explaining stuff:rolleyes:

    --
    0nly0newheel
    0nly0newheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11075

  13. unidaddy

    unidaddy Guest

    Spudman wrote:
    > Yeah, that's incredible progress! and you live in tucson too...
    >
    > I think static mounts are easier to learn than the roll back mounts.
    > think of it as a little hop forward onto the unicycle. It's mostly
    > just practice to learn how to put the right amount of pressure on the
    > pedal, so I recomend that you just try it every now and then until you
    > get it.
    >
    > Great job so far!

    I agree with spudman.....and particularly with his comment "a little
    hop forward" onto the unicycle. Most people I've seen learning a
    static mount spring up too vertically and don't give themselves enough
    momentum to go forward after the little hop forward. I try to imagine
    the wheel "locked" in place by my back foot, then push up with plenty
    of forward motion with the foot that is on the ground, that way the
    "floor" foot (which becomes the forward foot as soon as it hits the
    pedal) has a nice solid non-moving target to land on and ride away
    with. Talk about long-winded........sorry!

    --
    unidaddy
    unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

  14. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Awesome progress... you ened to get ahold of a video camera and make a
    video soon!!!

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
    Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

    *'UPD T-Shirts SOLD OUT FOR NOW!!! (IF YOU DIDN'T BUY
    ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

  15. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

  16. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    mr2turbo7 wrote:
    > I can only do one trick. its not worth it to make a video yet.

    SO... it took me 2 whole weeks to master level 1. and a unispin and SIF
    hopping!?!? That's more than worthy of a video, please do make one
    ASAP!

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
    Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

    *'UPD T-Shirts SOLD OUT FOR NOW!!! (IF YOU DIDN'T BUY
    ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

  17. joel444

    joel444 Guest