New comer to the sport.

mr2turbo7

Guest
Ok I got a Torker 20" LX for xmas. with in 15 minutes I could ride
about 30 yds in a strait line. and with in an hour i could ride the 50
meters and gracefully dismount off the back. I can freemount about 30%
of the time. I can hop for as long as you want me to with the seat in
or out in front. and i can 180 unispin. But i really want to beable to
freemount 100% of the time.

troubles i am having is when I roll back mount my foot always slips off
the pedal or It is extremely difficult to pedal forwards deu to crank
position. I can only static mount about 10% of the time. can anyone
give me some advice? somethings that i have already figured out that
help me mount easier is not grabbing the seat, and not to puth much
weight on my dominant foot.

please help. any other tips are welcome aswell.

Thanx Tommy

--
mr2turbo7
mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

Wow amazing progress!

I'd say practice. You'll get it. Free mounting for me is all about
initial placement and steadiness.

For roll back mounts I try not to put the pedal that I am pushing on
all the way down, maybe to 4oclock. Then the higher pedal is off center
enough that I can get the uni rolling again.

Good luck and keep it up!

podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Okay, Not that I doubt you, but what posessed you to try a uni spin when
you can't freemount yet? Holy smokes!! That's a pretty advanced skill
(Like level 10 out of 10 levels).

This man flies before he can crawl!

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

> troubles i am having is when I roll back mount my foot always slips off
> the pedal or It is extremely difficult to pedal forwards deu to crank
> position.

Have you tried rolling back slightly further? I sometimes have to hook the
topmost pedal back a couple of inches as I mount to get the cranks out of
the vertical position. Then I can push down with the lower foot and I'm
off...

Also, re slipping off the pedal, have you thought about your footwear? On
my plastic pedals, I find it helps my grip a lot to wear shoes with quite
soft rubber soles (skate shoes, trainers, etc).

Sounds like you're a natural, though, so I doubt it'll take too much
practice to find something that works for you!

Cheers,
Mark

> I can only static mount about 10% of the time. can anyone
> give me some advice? somethings that i have already figured out that
> help me mount easier is not grabbing the seat, and not to puth much
> weight on my dominant foot.
>
> please help. any other tips are welcome aswell.
>
> Thanx Tommy

Yeah, that's incredible progress! and you live in tucson too...

I think static mounts are easier to learn than the roll back mounts.
think of it as a little hop forward onto the unicycle. It's mostly
just practice to learn how to put the right amount of pressure on the
pedal, so I recomend that you just try it every now and then until you
get it.

Great job so far!

--
Spudman

*| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
*| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
*| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
*| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
*|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
(http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

that is awsome....i thought i progressed fast...i mean holy french fries
..... a 180 unispin on the first day.....i am trying 2 learn that
aswell as a buch of other stuff but ......i give you mad...mad
props..........keep on trucking...(by trucking im mean unicycling)

--
dorfman

i started unicycling on christmas 05
on that day i accomplished
forward unicycling 40ft
freemounting 6 times succesfulling
number of strange looks recieved whilst learning 34(i counted)
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

Thank you guys very much for the comments I really did not think that i
was progressing that fast but ok. I just busted my shin pretty good:p
I think i will put my Primo meat tenderizers on from my S&M Holmes
(dirt jumping bike) or maybe some DK platforms? maybe that will help
out with the freemount problem. oh yeah i didn't learn the 180 spins
till today. Yeah i would probably think i was progressing fast if i
learned them on the first day!

--
mr2turbo7
mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

whoooa, you're fast!! it took me like over a year to get as good as you
are now. well, I guess I could just ride after a couple weeks...but it
took me forever to get the unispin.
nice job!

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

for me when i free mount or whatever i take the pedel that i mount with
and bring it cloe to me alomost a half then when i mount it ususally
keeps the uni in the same place. sorry if its confusing im not too good
at explaining stuff:rolleyes:

--
0nly0newheel
0nly0newheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11075

Spudman wrote:
> Yeah, that's incredible progress! and you live in tucson too...
>
> I think static mounts are easier to learn than the roll back mounts.
> think of it as a little hop forward onto the unicycle. It's mostly
> just practice to learn how to put the right amount of pressure on the
> pedal, so I recomend that you just try it every now and then until you
> get it.
>
> Great job so far!

I agree with spudman.....and particularly with his comment "a little
hop forward" onto the unicycle. Most people I've seen learning a
static mount spring up too vertically and don't give themselves enough
momentum to go forward after the little hop forward. I try to imagine
the wheel "locked" in place by my back foot, then push up with plenty
of forward motion with the foot that is on the ground, that way the
"floor" foot (which becomes the forward foot as soon as it hits the
pedal) has a nice solid non-moving target to land on and ride away
with. Talk about long-winded........sorry!

--
unidaddy
unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

Awesome progress... you ened to get ahold of a video camera and make a
video soon!!!

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

*'UPD T-Shirts SOLD OUT FOR NOW!!! (IF YOU DIDN'T BUY
ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

mr2turbo7 wrote:
> I can only do one trick. its not worth it to make a video yet.

SO... it took me 2 whole weeks to master level 1. and a unispin and SIF
hopping!?!? That's more than worthy of a video, please do make one
ASAP!