New commute: I am clearly mad

Toby Barrett

Guest
I posted a while back saying that unfortunately a new job had put an end to my (9 miles each way)
commuting. I was even considering getting a motorbike.

Considered it. Decided it was (a) too expensive, and (b) not really
me.

This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit worried
about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

As I have no time for exercise otherwise I am hoping to manage this about twice a week. Let's hope
the weather improves! Even with this morning's cold, there was a lovely moment, about 30 mins into
the ride as I rode along a country lane with the sun coming through the trees lighting up a
frosted field.

Toby

>This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit worried
>about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

Well done. Don't worry too much about the trip home - statistically you should be fine :) The
positive way to look at it is is: -

1. Think of all the exercise you are getting
2. The evenings are getting lighter
3. We are going into spring & summer so odds on for warmer temps and less rain.

I'd suggest (and I may well have been a boy scout in a previous existance due to the amount of
precautions here...) and not in any particular order :-

4. Stocking up on the bad weather cycling gear (lightweight) to carry with you in case of need
5. Decent lights for those dark evenings
6. Reflective/fluorescent wear/accessories to be highly visible
7. H*lmet is you want to wear one
8. Spare kit in terms of light bulbs, batteries, inner tube, puncture patches, pump etc., etc..
9. Take a mobile phone (and keep it charged up) to make any emergency calls (even though
realistically the risk of having to do such is small
10. Wear ID, so in case of dire emergency, you can be easily identified - carry a whistle, so that
if you do come off & end up in a ditch, you can alert passers-by to where you are.
11. Join CTC or British Cycling for the insurance cover on self.

From the above list, you may think I am an old worry wart, and I don't mind if you do :)

Cheers, helen s

p.s. Cycling early morning in the countryside can be fabulous. I love it.

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

[email protected] (Toby Barrett) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

I did that once when I worked in Livingston and lived in Edinburgh, roughly the same distance and
speed along the A71 (not a nice road, but not *too* hellish). I must admit that I phoned home and
got my then girlfriend (now wife) to come and pick me up, hence undoing any self-righteous feeling I
had for having cycled :-/ Then again, it had been a hellish day at work which lead into a hellish 80
hour week :-(

Graeme

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I posted a while back saying that unfortunately a new job had put an end to my (9 miles each way)
> commuting. I was even considering getting a motorbike.
>
> Considered it. Decided it was (a) too expensive, and (b) not really
> me.
>
> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.
>
> As I have no time for exercise otherwise I am hoping to manage this about twice a week. Let's hope
> the weather improves! Even with this morning's cold, there was a lovely moment, about 30 mins into
> the ride as I rode along a country lane with the sun coming through the trees lighting up a
> frosted field.
>
> Toby

Good on ya - we were thinking of moving house in a couple of years which would add (approx) 8 miles
each way to my commute (i.e. 16 miles each way) - i wasnt sure if i could do that or not but the
above makes me think its possible...

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

That's quite some commute. I can imagine that the wind direction would have a *major* effect on a
one way trip like this. A strong wind can make it possible to cruise at well over 30mph, or kill
your speed to about 10mph depending on direction!

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ shows a stream of wind from the north this morning, so if you were
travelling north then expect a much faster trip home if the wind stays the same.

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> >This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> >worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.
>
> Well done. Don't worry too much about the trip home - statistically you
should
> be fine :)

Its a hell of a long way. When I first tried to do something like the above it was taking about 2.5
hours to get home.

Eat lots of chips!

Toby Barrett wrote:
> I posted a while back saying that unfortunately a new job had put an end to my (9 miles each way)
> commuting. I was even considering getting a motorbike.
>
> Considered it. Decided it was (a) too expensive, and (b) not really
> me.
>
> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.
>
> As I have no time for exercise otherwise I am hoping to manage this about twice a week. Let's hope
> the weather improves! Even with this morning's cold, there was a lovely moment, about 30 mins into
> the ride as I rode along a country lane with the sun coming through the trees lighting up a
> frosted field.
>
> Toby

As part of my preparation for LEJOG, to demonstrate that I am a cyclist to my work colleagues and to
'celebrate' bike week in June, I have challenged another cyclist to ride to work at least one day in
that week. My journey is 37 miles each way, his just a little bit less. Its not the cycling I am
concerned about but having to get up early to get to work at a reasonable hour, then staying awake
all day. We may agree to do one way trips. Ride to work one day, home the next.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Toby Barrett wrote:

> I posted a while back saying that unfortunately a new job had put an end to my (9 miles each way)
> commuting. I was even considering getting a motorbike.
>
> Considered it. Decided it was (a) too expensive, and (b) not really
> me.
>
> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.
>
> As I have no time for exercise otherwise I am hoping to manage this about twice a week. Let's hope
> the weather improves! Even with this morning's cold, there was a lovely moment, about 30 mins into
> the ride as I rode along a country lane with the sun coming through the trees lighting up a
> frosted field.
>
> Toby

This morning, just before the A3 at New Malden, I had a brief hello etc with someone who I hadn't
see before. He was from Westerham near Sevenoaks and his commute is 30 miles each way. He does it
twice a week. Hats off to both of you.

btw, don't worry about the return journey. Get on your bike and go for it.

the cold makes the summertime _that much_ nicer,

davep

> Why not drive to work every day, that way you'd save all that time and you could use it for
> exercise?

This is an excellent point.

As all good motorists know, he'll be getting much more cost-effective use from his car as he'll be
able to amortize the depreciation/insurances/tax/servicing etc etc over 5 days-a-week - rather
than just 3.

So, In addition to loads more free time and exercise, he'll be saving himself money as well.

Hurrah!

In article <[email protected]>, Lee wrote:
>Good on ya - we were thinking of moving house in a couple of years which would add (approx) 8 miles
>each way to my commute (i.e. 16 miles each way) - i wasnt sure if i could do that or not but the
>above makes me think its possible...

I work with someone who does that regularly. He does it rather faster than I would though. On the
other hand if I did it more often it might not take me so long....

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I work with someone who does that regularly. He does it rather faster than I would though. On the
> other hand if I did it more often it might not take me so long....

Must admit im really toying with the idea now - my only issue is that it wouldnt be all cycle lanes
like I am used to.... i do LIKE the idea of the long commute tho....

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:07:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Drinkwater wrote:
>> Why not drive to work every day, that way you'd save all that time and you could use it for
>> exercise?
>
> This is an excellent point.
>
> As all good motorists know, he'll be getting much more cost-effective use from his car as he'll be
> able to amortize the depreciation/insurances/tax/servicing etc etc over 5 days-a-week - rather
> than just 3.
>
> So, In addition to loads more free time and exercise, he'll be saving himself money as well.

Fantastic! I never thought of that! His "x" year old car will be being used for more miles per year,
too, making it more obviously better value for money!

--
Trevor Barton

in message <[email protected]>, Toby Barrett
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I posted a while back saying that unfortunately a new job had put an end to my (9 miles each way)
> commuting. I was even considering getting a motorbike.
>
> Considered it. Decided it was (a) too expensive, and (b) not really
> me.
>
> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

I used to commute 21 miles each way by bike... but not every day, I also had a 2cv for when the
weather was horrible. In average to good weather it was a very pleasant way of de-stressing at the
end of the working day. With a serious headwind on the way home, it was horrid.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Windows 95: You, you, you! You
make a grown man cry...

> I used to commute 21 miles each way by bike... but not every day, I also
had
> a 2cv for when the weather was horrible. In average to good weather it was a very pleasant way of
> de-stressing at the end of the working day.

Seconded.

I'm 28 miles from my place of work & try and do it once a week during the Summer. I've done it twice
in one week, but that was because I was in training for my cycling holiday.

My route is nasty, though - 2 main A roads, so I start off extra early (up @ 5am) & just put my head
down & battle my way through all the traffic on the way back.

Part of it is an old Roman road, so it's a good run for the most part - best time: about 90 mins.
Usually more like 100 mins. The only nasty bit is the last 4 miles on the way into work - 2 x 1 in
10 hills - just when I didn't need them!

What I did start to do last year was to take the bike in the back of the car in the morning, cycle
home, sleep, cycle in the day after & put the bike back in the car for returning on the 2nd day.
That way, I get 2 lots of reasonable exercise in a day rather than 1 day of *lots* of exercise.

Mark

> >> Why not drive to work every day, that way you'd save all that time and you could use it for
> >> exercise?
> >
> > This is an excellent point.
> >
> > As all good motorists know, he'll be getting much more cost-effective
use
> > from his car as he'll be able to amortize the depreciation/insurances/tax/servicing etc etc over
> > 5 days-a-week -
rather
> > than just 3.
> >
> > So, In addition to loads more free time and exercise, he'll be saving himself money as well.
>
> Fantastic! I never thought of that! His "x" year old car will be being used for more miles per
> year, too, making it more obviously better value for money!

I mean, who in their right mind, wants a car sitting around doing nothing?

Also, when you are out and about, there is no point hanging around as more time on the road
obviously means more petrol being used/more pollution/more time to be involved in a crash etc etc.
What you need to do is really put your foot down and get to your destination as fast as you can.

I don't want to the labour the point but, this way, you'd save all that time and you could use it
for exercise.

"Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Don't forget that petrol evaporates anyway all the time the car is sitting there doing nothing, so
> it's just wasted in an unused car.

At what rate? Rather low.

Anyway - in that case get a diesel!

[email protected] (Toby Barrett) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.

Well done. If you can do that 2 or 3 times a week you will find that you become a lot stronger and
your average speed will start to creep up without too much conscious effort on your part.

--
Dave...

"Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > This is an excellent point.
> > >
> > > As all good motorists know, he'll be getting much more cost-effective
> use
> > > from his car as he'll be able to amortize the depreciation/insurances/tax/servicing etc etc
> > > over 5 days-a-week -
> rather
> > > than just 3.
> > >
> > > So, In addition to loads more free time and exercise, he'll be saving himself money as well.
> >
> > Fantastic! I never thought of that! His "x" year old car will be being used for more miles per
> > year, too, making it more obviously better value for money!
>
> I mean, who in their right mind, wants a car sitting around doing nothing?
>
> Also, when you are out and about, there is no point hanging around as more time on the road
> obviously means more petrol being used/more
pollution/more
> time to be involved in a crash etc etc. What you need to do is really put your foot down and get
> to your destination as fast as you can.
>
> I don't want to the labour the point but, this way, you'd save all that
time
> and you could use it for exercise.

Of course, now that you've got there sooner your car's going to be sitting around doing nothing
longer, which is a terrible waste. So you have to drive further otherwise it's not economical. This
tires you out quite effectively so you save on the gym fees too.

Ben T

Toby Barrett wrote:
> This morning, I have just cycled to work (25 miles, 1hr 46mins, 14mph). I feel OK but a bit
> worried about the trip home! Had to tell someone.
>
> As I have no time for exercise otherwise I am hoping to manage this about twice a week. Let's hope
> the weather improves! Even with this morning's cold, there was a lovely moment, about 30 mins into
> the ride as I rode along a country lane with the sun coming through the trees lighting up a
> frosted field.

I've been cycling to work at least once a week every week this year. It's 21 miles each way, and
I've done it twice a week for the past 3 weeks. Takes 1hr10 to 1hr20, depending how hard I go. I
usually use the first trip of the week for a tempo effort; this week I did 60 minutes with an
average heart rate of 156 bpm.

I'd much rather get the training miles in by commuting to work (saves petrol, better for the
environment, unlimited hot water in work shower) than getting home and 6pm and going out in the cold
and dark for 2.5 hours. It's nearly March, so the weather *should* be improving soon, though
tomorrow looks like it'll be b*****d cold.

Keep at it! I've found it really helps to pass the week at work and the extra miles certainly won't
hurt your fitness.

Cheers,

Mark