New commuter looking for tips

Switchusmc

Jan 30, 2012
So I have recently started commuting to work via bike. Now the main reason I started was because my truck broke down and I wanted to save up for a nice newer truck. I'm looking for some tips from you all who do this everyday. My round trip is about 3.64 miles but will be getter longer as I intend to take alternate routes home to make it more interesting. Now none of my route options are the safest. (No sidewalks nor trails and my route to work is a steep windy road thru some woods where I hit about 39 mph according to my app on my phone). My cycle is a lynx extremist (classic walmart style mountain bike) which I got free thru my dad. I am converting over to road ( ordering some hybrid tires this week) and have already put lights on it as my morning commute is well into the wee morning hours. I have given the bike a good tuneup including new shifters and cables. Along with gloves, a small bag for random tools/items, and a helmet (soon a helmet mounted mirror) but what other things have people found to be helpful, safer, convenient etc. Also what are the benefits to clip/clipless pedals. On my way to work it's almost non stop but soon I will be adding a trailer and will be picking my daughter after work so my route will be about 5 miles more with traffic lights (that route has sidewalks). I used to bmx and mountain bike alot in school.. but it's almost 10 years later and I have to get back into shape so this will work great. I can work on bikes, just not familiar with commuting with them. I have read all local laws for bikes.. so that is helpful. Thanks in advance and sorry for the longwinded questions...

Switchusmc said:
So I have recently started commuting to work via bike. Now the main reason I started was because my truck broke down and I wanted to save up for a nice newer truck. I'm looking for some tips from you all who do this everyday. My round trip is about 3.64 miles but will be getter longer as I intend to take alternate routes home to make it more interesting. Now none of my route options are the safest. (No sidewalks nor trails and my route to work is a steep windy road thru some woods where I hit about 39 mph according to my app on my phone). My cycle is a lynx extremist (classic walmart style mountain bike) which I got free thru my dad. I am converting over to road ( ordering some hybrid tires this week) and have already put lights on it as my morning commute is well into the wee morning hours. I have given the bike a good tuneup including new shifters and cables. Along with gloves, a small bag for random tools/items, and a helmet (soon a helmet mounted mirror) but what other things have people found to be helpful, safer, convenient etc. Also what are the benefits to clip/clipless pedals. On my way to work it's almost non stop but soon I will be adding a trailer and will be picking my daughter after work so my route will be about 5 miles more with traffic lights (that route has sidewalks). I used to bmx and mountain bike alot in school.. but it's almost 10 years later and I have to get back into shape so this will work great. I can work on bikes, just not familiar with commuting with them. I have read all local laws for bikes.. so that is helpful. Thanks in advance and sorry for the longwinded questions...
I would advise you, especially if there are going to be times when you'll have your daughter in tow, to not skimp on lights. You want to be sure you'll be seen, so having at least two tail lights is, IMHO, a requirement. You'll also want a headlight that not only allows you to be seen but also lets you see. I don't think it's worth skimping on a headlight. I like having a headlight on my helmet as I can point that at a driver to ensure that he or she sees me. You can also find reflective ankle straps, which can also be worn about your wrists (so drivers can see which turn your indicating at night). Reflective clothing--be it a vest, jacket, or summat--again improves safety for you. If you're going to be wearing a bookbag/backpack, add either a light to that or a reflective cover.....or both. Performance bike has reflective tape which can be put on your bike so your bike can be seen from the side. As for convenience, my commutes have been on the order of 8-17 miles in each direction. I typically stock work with clothes for a week and change when I get there. If you're not a sweaty Teddy, that may not be necessary. Likewise for a short commute it might not be necessary. I would stock up on baby wipes at work, as they're great for cleaning up a bit after you arrive at work. Coworkers might appreciate that last bit.

39 mph through the woods, on a wal-mart mountain bike?

Please check and adjust you brakes if needed and make sure all the nuts, bolts and quick releases are at the proper tension.

Good safety and running gear are your first priority. Then consider utilitiarian accessories like a rear rack, cycling backpack, lock(s), cyclecomputer and fenders.

Clipless pedals aren't an absolute necessity for commuting. If you are really going to be pushing yourself you may appreciate them, I don't think they are of too much benefit for more leisurly riding. If you do go clipless, you have to factor in the additional logistics of needing another pair of shoes to change into. Some bike shoes are stealthy and can be worn at work, but they are not as comfy as a proper pair of walking shoes.

I'm not sure if it was from walmart.. just that style. But before i even took it out i checked EVERY SINGLE nut, bolt, and frameweld. I used to inspect trucks for the military so i tend to get anal with my inspections. It had a loose frame bolt(wherethe two halves of the frame hinge/flex) so i tightened that back down but for the most part it was minor adjustments. Brake adjustments and trueing the wheels. The section that is wooded is highly traveled, just not at the time i'm on it. But having said all that I do see where you where going. Even after my initial check I took it to my father-in-law who used to work at a profesional bicycle shop and got his input, he tweaked one wheel a lite better but said it looked in very good shape. Just ordered some hybrid tired today, some of the road i travel is constantly wet due to bad road maintance and a natural spring under the road. Wanted something good all around. Going to get a phone mount so i can meep hands on the bars and still see who is calling, change mp3, or check the computer to see my speed. I plan on putting new brake "pads" on since these are a bit worn. Something i thought of though. Here on friday we are expecting rain. How do you guys (and gals) handle rain. Nor really on your body but with handling of the bike. Obviously slower is better, but anything to keep in mind. I work close enough to walk, and considering my route TO work is mostly downhill and steep i think maybe that is a better option in slick conditions.

Originally Posted by maydog .

39 mph through the woods, on a wal-mart mountain bike?

I Phone apps especially the free ones have some faults. When using them you need to make sure the phone is locked and no updates from others apps or people interfere while riding. Also areas of poor reception create problems. Total distance and average speed are usually pretty good because they are calculated at the end of the ride. I find that the top speed is always a little funky and I think that this is the value that the app applies the missing data along the way to. If this makes any sense.
I use my I Phone and Cateye Strata all the time. I compare the values and the top speed is the only thing that never matches. The I phone gives me the ability to save all my rides and routes. I can use the data saved to set up races against previous rides and also select rides based on how long they took me to complete. I carry the phone with me anyways so I mine as well use it for something other than a leash.

I'm not sure if it was from walmart.. just that style. But before i even took it out i checked EVERY SINGLE nut, bolt, and frameweld. I used to inspect trucks for the military so i tend to get anal with my inspections. It had a loose frame bolt(wherethe two halves of the frame hinge/flex) so i tightened that back down but for the most part it was minor adjustments. Brake adjustments and trueing the wheels. The section that is wooded is highly traveled, just not at the time i'm on it. But having said all that I do see where you where going. Even after my initial check I took it to my father-in-law who used to work at a profesional bicycle shop and got his input, he tweaked one wheel a lite better but said it looked in very good shape. Just ordered some hybrid tired today, some of the road i travel is constantly wet due to bad road maintance and a natural spring under the road. Wanted something good all around. Going to get a phone mount so i can meep hands on the bars and still see who is calling, change mp3, or check the computer to see my speed. I plan on putting new brake "pads" on since these are a bit worn. Something i thought of though. Here on friday we are expecting rain. How do you guys (and gals) handle rain. Nor really on your body but with handling of the bike. Obviously slower is better, but anything to keep in mind. I work close enough to walk, and considering my route TO work is mostly downhill and steep i think maybe that is a better option in slick conditions.

+1 on the lights. 2 in front and 2 in the rear. Helmet-mounted works great because it provides some separation from the bike mounted light that makes you look larger. Also helmet-mounted is higher, and you can stare people down with a bright white light. You can get bar end lights as well. They also provide some spacing to the light system.

Hardest part is side lighting, which is really important for working traffic. Cars just don't see us when they are approaching an intersection with intention to turn. There are some spoke-mounted lights but I have not installed as I don't want the extra rotating mass and they likely create a bit of wobble. At lower speed in traffic though they may work OK.

I am currently working on some 45 degree to the side/front solutions and I'll post if I figure anything out that works.

I just put this thing on - it is blinding. Cheap and rechargeable. No shill, just a customer. CygoLite Hotshot 2W USB Rear Bike Light. Check it out at your LBS or REI shop.

Before you "make it more interesting", wait until after your job and child's well-being are not on the line.

Get a helmet for your child and make your chld wear it.

Be able to fix tires and spokes on the road.

Get high qualiity wheels asap, then you won't have to worry about spokes.

Wear a scented anti-perspirant rather than just deordorant. I think commuters are great and would never complain about their having B.O., but most would.