New crankset - new rear deraileur??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by simmoclayto, Nov 9, 2006.

1. simmoclayto

simmoclayto New Member

Hi there

I am looking at getting a new crankset, and ultimately ill need a new chain and cassette. Does this mean i have to obtain a new rear derailleur??
    about 3000kms have been done.
    Cheers

Simon

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Simon says "No". Measure your chain. If you replace your chain before it reaches it's limit your cassette should be OK.

3. DMF

DMF New Member

No need to replace the derailleur. They practically never wear out. After a while the teeth on the little cogwheels will wear out, but if you keep your chain in decent shape, that will take quite a while since they aren't under much load.

Why are you replacing the chain etc? Because they're worn out?

4. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Your RD should be OK if it is shifting smoothly. Check your chain and your cogs. Replace any worn parts. :)

5. stea1thviper

stea1thviper New Member

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

If the RD is not broken you dont need a new one. Just make sure the new cassette is compatible or similar (specs.) to the one it's replacing.

7. PeterF

PeterF New Member

If you're going from a standard double (53/39) with a short cage rear derailleur to a triple than "yes" you will need a long cage derailleur to pick up the extra chain slack when in the small chainring. If going from double to double than no. One thing to consider is that short cage rear derailleurs have limits on the size of the rear cogs. A Campy short cage is recommended for a max rear sprocket of 26t. I've heard differnt opinions on compact cranksets. Personally, If I put a compact on, I would try it first before spending the money on a new rear d.