New Cycling Hazard - Idiots with Airguns

Mark Drinkwater

Guest
Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
with an airgun!

I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly - I
saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open which I
thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and immediately
felt a searing pain in my upper back.

At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a nasty
welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.

Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
scant evidence I can give them?

>Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
>scant evidence I can give them?

You really should report this to the police. Next time the idiots with the
airgun could *seriously* injure someone. Plod may well wander out that way and
have a mooch about to see if he (or she) can find out who is doing this.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Mark Drinkwater wrote:

> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

It may well be probable they can't do anything, but not for sure. This
is a serious business, and they should at least be informed.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!

Report it.

1. If they ever catch the pondslime it will be a possible extra rap.

2. You have useful information (time, place, van (description?) etc.)

3. You may have the bit of information Plod currently lacks.

Mark Drinkwater wrote:

> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Definitely yes. You may have scant evidence but they may well have a
bigger picture into which your small jigsaw piece fits. We had a window
and outside light hit by air rifle shots and informed the police. They
were highly interested, had been dealing with a lot of similar attacks
in the area and were most pleased to be able to recover the airgun
pellets hit as part of the evidence they were collecting.

Tony

Mark Drinkwater wrote:

> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police
> considering the scant evidence I can give them?

Yes. It's a serious attack and needs to be reported.

--
Dave...

Mark Drinkwater wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly - I
> saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open which I
> thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and immediately
> felt a searing pain in my upper back.
>
> At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
> back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a nasty
> welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Do report it but don't expect any joy. I was shot while cycling. Car
full of chavs pull up alongside and one leans and with a bloody pistol.
They then promptly got caught in traffic and in an adrenelin fueled sort
of way I almost caught up. Fortunately the jam cleared and I was saved
from a good 4 on 1 kicking. I did, however, get the make and reg of the car.

Immediately reported to the police who promptly did nothing. They came
round for a chat a few hours later and reported back to me a few days on
that I had ID'd the right car (ie make & reg matched). But the
registered keeper said he'd sold the car on and it wasn't him.

The only silver lining was that they promised to make life very
difficult for the driver next time they came across the car. Never heard
any more.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Drinkwater wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly - I
> saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open which I
> thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and immediately
> felt a searing pain in my upper back.
>
> At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
> back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a nasty
> welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

This should certainly be reported- off the top of my head I can
think of at least three offences being commited *before* they shot at
(and hit) you.

Although you may not be able to identify the shooter or the
driver any description of the van or it's ocucpants may fit other
reports of similar incidents.

As a former pistol shooter who still does an occasional bit of
shooting I have a deep dislike for lawbreakers who bring target sports
into disrepute through their criminal stupidity.

*deep breath before rant starts*.

I'm sincerely glad you weren't more seriously hurt & wish you a
speedy recovery.
--
Tim.

Bummer, glad to hear you're OK Mark. I had a chav lean out his bedroom
window and take a shot at me when I was cycling nearby Peckham Rye
Park. Didn't bother reporting it though, he missed, not that that's
the point.

Mark Drinkwater composed the following ...
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly -
> I saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open
> which I thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and
> immediately felt a searing pain in my upper back.
>
> At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
> back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a
> nasty welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Sheeeit, or is that shooooot .. ;)

Glad you weren't hurt, and most definitely one to tell the Police. Whatever
scant descripotion you bring just might allow the Police a lead of enough
size to stop the tossers doing this again.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Mark Drinkwater <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Absolutely definitely 100% straight away yes.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

LSMike composed the following ...
> Bummer, glad to hear you're OK Mark. I had a chav lean out his bedroom
> window and take a shot at me when I was cycling nearby Peckham Rye
> Park. Didn't bother reporting it though, he missed, not that that's
> the point.

You had someone try to shoot you from a bedroom window and didn't report it
... sheesh, an address that I'm sure the Police would have taken an interest
in.

Shame on you I say.

--

Mark Drinkwater wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an
> idiot with an airgun!

Please don't even think about NOT reporting it. I've cycled through
Buckhurst Hill and would like to again one day.

~PB

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:55:01 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Drinkwater"
<[email protected]>:

>Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
>with an airgun!
>Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
>scant evidence I can give them?

Yes! This is a serious criminal assault.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

"Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly -

> saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open which I
> thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and

immediately
> felt a searing pain in my upper back.
>
> At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
> back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a

nasty
> welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

I think it's unanimous. Report it. Why are you wasting time reading these
answers when you should be leaning across the desk of the station demanding
an armed response unit :). OK, maybe not, but please do report it; if we
don't, these incidents become accepted.

Peter

"Mark Drinkwater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

May I add my voice to the unanimous tide?

They may not have injured you particularly badly, but what about the next
cyclist, who just might get a pellet in the eye? How are you going to feel
when you read the report and realise that you did nothing?

Waste no time, report now!

Mark Drinkwater wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> I was travelling downhill at the time and it all happened quite quickly - I
> saw the van coming in the opposite direction with it's window open which I
> thought strange considering the temperature, I heard a crack and immediately
> felt a searing pain in my upper back.
>
> At the time, I thought I must have a pellet lodged in the side of my upper
> back. Thankfully, my clothing wasn't even marked and I just have a nasty
> welt where it hit and I'm thankful it didn't hit my eye.
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Without any doubt, report it.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Yes! This is a serious criminal assault.

Yep, if they'd had half a brain cell they would have swiped Mark with
the van instead using an air pistol as it only counts as a minor lapse
of care ;-^)

Tony

You should definately report this to the police.

If you have any further details, ideally the registration
number of the van, then they *may* be able to take
things further.

Even if you don't have any details, they can use this
information for intelligence purposes. It may be that
the van is well known and your information will help
them build up a picture of it's activity. Alternatively,
if any similar vans are stopped in the next few days
and an airgun is found, then it may give them cause
to investigate the occupants further.

If you see the same van again, call the police
immediately -- don't try to stop the van yourself!

Matt Ashby

Mark Drinkwater wrote:
> Cycling home through Buckhurst Hill last night, I was shot at by an idiot
> with an airgun!
>
> Any thoughts on whether I should report this to the Police considering the
> scant evidence I can give them?

Report it and hopefully they will be able to use it should they ever
catch the culprits.

The only downside is those that are anti freedom will use it to further
restrict the law abiding....