New cycling shorts but the size - need opinions

GotOwned

Oct 15, 2012
Hi! First post, been reading here for a while but never needed to make an account.. until now...

Long story short, converting my Iron Horse Mav to more of a "hybrid"... frankenstein I guess you can call it. Want to do more road biking but don't have the money for a new one.

Got a pair of Zimco shorts from ebay. The sizing is good on the waist, I'm a 33-34 and the large fits just fine. Legs are tight to the skin how they should be.

The padding is sort of throwing me off. They're soft and gives a lot of comfort but the backside of the padding sort of sticks out. Sometimes it sticks out sometimes it doesn't. The padding doesn't move, it's sown on really well. But the edge on the backside of the pad sticks out and is noticeable. I was expecting the padding to be "flush/rides up on me" when the shorts are on. Is it suppose to be sort of baggy'ish, is this normal?

If the shorts are comfortable you are all set. They should be snug everywhere but not overly tight anywhere. Some folks have thicker quads, more prominent glutes, you get the idea. The trick is finding a brand who's cut works for you. The ass pad on my PI Attack shorts is a little more prominent than my other shorts but they feel fine on the bike.