New cyclist - Costa Rica

inestrozar

Mar 13, 2013
Hello fellow cyclists,
I started commuting about eight months ago here in Heredia - Costa Rica. I commute five days a week and I love my bike :D Riding in Costa Rica is a little difficult because of traffic and lack of bike laws, lanes, small roads, etc. I have not seen many female cyclists and I have been a little hesitant to find any due to my poor Spanish.
I love the way that my body has changed and how I feel. I rode through severe wind, rainy season, a sinus infection and then C-diff for seven weeks ugh....
However, I feel great now and want to improve! I have looked through training sites and whatnot but would like to hear some input from fellow female cyclists. I ride fourteen miles a day (seven of those miles are up hill) 5 days a week right now. I am strong and want to start adding some different things. My goal is to do a race but my mileage is pretty low right now. What is my next step? should I start hunting down other women cyclists, add a few miles on a couple days a week, or just add a long ride on Saturdays?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!