New cyclist here, sorry but can't figure it out...help pick me a bike!!!

tsantsa

Aug 10, 2009
I am a new cyclist here. I don't know if I plan on plain exercise or actually doing a 100k, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'll set it up for you, even though this is probably more long winded than needed for a place such as this. I'm 35 and never owned a bike in my life (that's a lie, had a couple bmx types when I was like 13, I was a skater, never wanted a bike). Fast forward to current day and I had been wanting to get a bike. #1 for exercise, and #2, I just felt like I wanted to just, like, peddle around the place...if that makes any sense.

So I goes to the local Walmart (USA here) and pick me up a Next bike for $96 about 2 weeks ago or so. I started with just a few miles the first day and progressed to 14 miles yesterday. (I was rather proud of myself) Halfway through this ride, thereabouts, I decided I don't like my bike. I bought a mountain bike: Walmart.com: 26" Mens' NEXT PowerX Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates and decided that maybe I needed a different kind of bike. I felt my bike was too cumbersome even thought I have only ridden for about 2 weeks, felt it was heavy and can't turn very well....PLUS, I just ride on the sidewalks of town then to the trails that we have, which are paved. My final thought on this, was that, I felt I wasn't going as fast as I'd like to be going. Especially after watching the real cyclists zoom by. (I realize they train much more than I have been, but still, it's one of my thoughts)

I started thinking that a different kind of bike was necessary for my needs but I don't know what to do. I looked on the internets of course and quickly found that I REALLY don't know what I should be looking for!

On to the particulars: I bought a mountain bike, but quickly realized that I won't be offroading. In looking this kind of thing up, hybrid? But then, I won't be offroading. Should I just get a road bike? Price is a factor here. I originally wanted an american made bike, but that's not in the budget. I'm HOPING that I can get away with no more than $300 for an entry level bike, but cheaper is better...

I'm 5'5" so fitting myself on a bike has so far been impossible. When I stand on with most bikes in the big box stores, I have found them to be just too large for me. I am assuming a 'compact' frame would work. I haven't been to the local bike shops yet because #1 I'd like to know SOMETHING about what I'm looking at and #2, don't want to be 'taken for a ride.'

In short:
Am 5'5"
Want more than a leisurely stroll
Want to go fast
Budget of $300
Am in way over my head

EDIT: I just reread and realized this is much more long winded than I thought it would be and I apologize for that. I wanted to add that I have a suspect back (sometimes a bad back, sometimes not) and that does weigh in with my decision. Maybe a road bike, with the bending wouldn't be a good choice?

I suggest finding a good used road bike in the 50-52 cm range. If possible try a bike shop and maybe they will have some good trade ins.They can adjust the saddle height and stem length for you.
A one size fits all Wal-Mart tank is not the way to go.A cheap bike will last about one season of riding and will not be comfortable.
Fit is the #1 consideration. I directed a friend of mine to a local bike shop and helped him find a decent used bike for $400.
It will last him a long time if he maintains it.

tsantsa said:
I am a new cyclist here. I don't know if I plan on plain exercise or actually doing a 100k, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'll set it up for you, even though this is probably more long winded than needed for a place such as this. I'm 35 and never owned a bike in my life (that's a lie, had a couple bmx types when I was like 13, I was a skater, never wanted a bike). Fast forward to current day and I had been wanting to get a bike. #1 for exercise, and #2, I just felt like I wanted to just, like, peddle around the place...if that makes any sense.

So I goes to the local Walmart (USA here) and pick me up a Next bike for $96 about 2 weeks ago or so. I started with just a few miles the first day and progressed to 14 miles yesterday. (I was rather proud of myself) Halfway through this ride, thereabouts, I decided I don't like my bike. I bought a mountain bike: Walmart.com: 26" Mens' NEXT PowerX Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates and decided that maybe I needed a different kind of bike. I felt my bike was too cumbersome even thought I have only ridden for about 2 weeks, felt it was heavy and can't turn very well....PLUS, I just ride on the sidewalks of town then to the trails that we have, which are paved. My final thought on this, was that, I felt I wasn't going as fast as I'd like to be going. Especially after watching the real cyclists zoom by. (I realize they train much more than I have been, but still, it's one of my thoughts)

I started thinking that a different kind of bike was necessary for my needs but I don't know what to do. I looked on the internets of course and quickly found that I REALLY don't know what I should be looking for!

On to the particulars: I bought a mountain bike, but quickly realized that I won't be offroading. In looking this kind of thing up, hybrid? But then, I won't be offroading. Should I just get a road bike? Price is a factor here. I originally wanted an american made bike, but that's not in the budget. I'm HOPING that I can get away with no more than $300 for an entry level bike, but cheaper is better...

I'm 5'5" so fitting myself on a bike has so far been impossible. When I stand on with most bikes in the big box stores, I have found them to be just too large for me. I am assuming a 'compact' frame would work. I haven't been to the local bike shops yet because #1 I'd like to know SOMETHING about what I'm looking at and #2, don't want to be 'taken for a ride.'

In short:
Am 5'5"
Want more than a leisurely stroll
Want to go fast
Budget of $300
Am in way over my head

EDIT: I just reread and realized this is much more long winded than I thought it would be and I apologize for that. I wanted to add that I have a suspect back (sometimes a bad back, sometimes not) and that does weigh in with my decision. Maybe a road bike, with the bending wouldn't be a good choice?

Visit some bike shops and tell them this story. Asking questions and getting information doesn't cost a thing. Some are not entirely ethtical but go to more than one.

You may want to have a look over at exchange and mart too as there are some bike bargains occaisonally up on the site; you could always put up a wanted ad also, following some hunting around the shops, and get a bargain on a specific model etc. Good luck with the hunt

I'd do what Peter says....just go to some bike shops and tell them your price limit and what type of riding you want to do.

One of them should have a used bike that be great ride for you. You can get a lot more bike for your money that way.

If you want to go fast but haven't got the build for a full on road bike but want to go fast (without the spandex or lycra ( becausethen youd look like a burke)) Buy a racy hybrid because they can handle some trail punishment. In Britain we have a make called Claud Butler .my brother has a claudbutler urban ( i think somthing like the 300 or 400 would suit you. Im not sure if you have them in america.