New Cyclist in CA

mzchry

Feb 5, 2012
Hi! I just got my first road bike since my last one was stolen 4 years ago! I was just wondering if anybody knew the helmet law in California. Is there an age? Is it illegal to ride without one?

Any responses are greatly appreciated! Sorry I am so clueless but I am just soooooo excited to hit the streets!

http://www.bikelink.com/law_safety.htm

Prohibits persons under 18 from riding or being a passenger on a bicycle without wearing helmets meeting specified standards (ANSI or SNELL). Violations are punishable by a fine of not more than $25.

Even if helmets aren't required, I would still recommend wearing one. It may be slightly irritating to keep up with, but I'd rather carry around a helmet than split my head open on the pavement.

How much do you value the lack of open bleeding in your brain or the fact that your brain currently resides completely within your cranial vault?

What is it they say. [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]"If you don't think your brain is worth protecting... your probably right."[/COLOR]

Accidents will and do happen. It only makes sense to wear a helmet.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Please note:[/COLOR] The picture to the left is not me. It is from an old (somewhat famous) bicycling movie. I always wear a helmet when I cycle (my wife would kill me if I didn't). Maybe I will change the picture.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Please note:[/COLOR] The picture to the left is not me. It is from an old (somewhat famous) bicycling movie. I always wear a helmet when I cycle (my wife would kill me if I didn't). Maybe I will change the picture.

What!? Next thing to surface will be that the Lance Armstrong who posts on this forum is not THE Lance Armstrong.

Some of us grew up and raced before common sense took a foothold. I seem to remember not having to wear a helmet in my first race. The only company manufacturing helmets beyond the leather hairnet (one of which I owned!) at that time was Bell. Objects large enough to have their own gravitational field. If I'm racing, riding in the rain or in traffic I wear one. When my local park is closed to traffic not all the time. Silly, but that's me.